Flight stands, which do you prefer?

Which style of flight stand do you use/prefer?

• Mongoose Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mongoose Plastic

• AOG Metal Stem/Plastic Hex

• GW Plastic

• Modified/ Home Made

• I Don't Reall Care! I use whatever comes with the mini

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Banzai

Mongoose
Just wondering what you prefer and why???

I ordered a bunch of small and large flight stands the other day, direct from MGP. What I got today was a big box with a little bag of METAL large and small stands. I got charged for plastic ones, about 1/4 the price of the plastic (so I guess I made out there), but I really wanted to standardize on the plastic ones (for a variety of reason from obsessive compulsions to rules lawyers).

I have a small metric butt ton of GW flying bases, and I've been using the stems from those, with a 5/64 drilled hole in the ship to get a near perfect set up.

Before I decide to lodge a complaint wtih MGP over my (yet ANOTHER 0/5) messed up order, I was actually wondering if any of you have noted any advantages/dis-advantages of one over the other? (Other than the whole fighter base thing)

I'd considder trades even up, too, new for new. I have 7 small and 4 large. PM me if interested, I'm in the US.

Tom

I'm pretty sure the palstic and metal stands are the same size. Smalls should be about 1 inch diameter, and larges about 2 inches.

Also, plastic stems and metal minis don't mix very well.

I chose modified because I use the plastic bases that come with the ships but I also use the Ninja Magic magnetic adapters. I don't have any problems with broken stems and best of all you can easily take the ships off their bases for easier storage.

http://www.ninjamagic.com/

As for fighters I put each fighter on a different length of 1/32" brass rod attached to the base that comes with them, so they actually look like they are flying through the air.

Although I like and use the flying stands that come in the newest packaging, I wish that they had a middle size from their smallest and largest; hence, I like the GW flying stands... at least one of the sizes...

:oops:

Since base size has no effect on the game, I use what works best. The goals being stabilization and good looks. As for the fighters, I like the hex bases.

For fighters I'd actually prefer the Epic bases used in Battlefleet Gothic. The hex bases I'm not keen on at all. For other ships, whatever works really.

Cheers, Gary

I'm surprised so many people voted for home-made/modified. That seems to say quite a bit about the poor state of affairs flight stands are in. I haven't tried the ninja magic ones, but I keep hearing about them...

@Silashand: Great name! Daemonifuge is one of my favorite stories! Epic bases, I hadn't thought of that. Do you use the old squares or the new strips, and do you have any pictures?

Rabidchild said:
@Silashand: Great name! Daemonifuge is one of my favorite stories! Epic bases, I hadn't thought of that. Do you use the old squares or the new strips, and do you have any pictures?

Thanks! Always liked that character myself, esp. since I'm a Sisters player ;-).

I use the strips since you can't get the square ones anymore (though they may still ship with some blisters like vipers and stuff, I dunno). I just got into B5 so I haven't done any of my fighters yet. My first fleet should be here shortly *fingers crossed*. I have pics of my BFG fighters if that's what you were looking for? They are slightly smaller than B5 fighters, but I think the bases will work fine (and look a lot better IMO).

Cheers, Gary

silashand said:
I have pics of my BFG fighters if that's what you were looking for? They are slightly smaller than B5 fighters, but I think the bases will work fine (and look a lot better IMO).

Ah, I know what you're talking about now. That is a good idea, I always liked the fighters in 'line abreast' formation rather than the hex that MGP has everything in. I wonder if there's any issue with various base sizes as far as game play?

I keep thinking about casting my own resin bases so I can mount my fighters on brass rods. The resin is easier to drill, cheaper and heavier. Seems like a winner to me.

:sidenote: I liked the character ][nquisitor Hand so much I got the limited edition model of him. Such a good sculpt.

Rabidchild said:
Ah, I know what you're talking about now. That is a good idea, I always liked the fighters in 'line abreast' formation rather than the hex that MGP has everything in. I wonder if there's any issue with various base sizes as far as game play?

I like that formation as well. No idea about gameplay yet as I've only played once, and that was using David, Anla Shok's Centauris.

:sidenote: I liked the character ][nquisitor Hand so much I got the limited edition model of him. Such a good sculpt.

I bought three of them... ;-)

Cheers, Gary

I use Ninjamagic adaptors too. Before that I prefered the metal, especially for the big ships, otherwise I used to pin the plastic stands on the big ships.

I do prefer the much shorter GW stands - esp on big ships. I am very lazy - just drill holes and blue tac them so can remove after battle - I don't even put stuff on the bottoms of my ships - turrets wings etc so they lay flat in the box.

Still iritates me you have to drill holes in every ship I have bought for any kind of stand. :roll:

Thought that was a strictly Mongoose problem... Yeah, why can't they make holes just bigger?

Blue tac? Could you explain Boss?

I don't glue ships just stick blue tac in the hole and it holds it there - mostly :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Tac

Lazy I am

Honestly, I use whatever they give me. MGP stands are not great, but workable. If someone could tell me how to effectively and efficiently build stands, I'm all ears.

Can you guys who make their own stands post pics of them? Sure would be a lot of help.

I use mongoose large bases, GW small bases, and for very large ships, large GW bases. Mongoose small bases are TOO small.
I never use plastic stands, instead I use brass/metal rod. Plastic snaps way too easy, and its easier than drilling a pin for the flight stem.
For fighters, I'm leaning towards the triple mount done by forum member timeslip, which you can see here.

I've never had a problem with the flat part (the actual BASE) of the base breaking, so I don't see the need for the metal bases being done by mongoose now, unless they're cheaper somehow to make themselves than the plastic stands.

One of the advantages I can see to using the metal bases is that they are heavier than the plastic bases. They there for have a lower center of gravity making any ships mounted on them much more stable. Stability really isn't a problem for me though. So I'll stick with my plastic bases with Ninja Magic adapters.

Back