First UK Demo of A Call to Arms: Star Fleet

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Want to see just how badly a Klingon ship can maul the Federation? Curious as to how sneaky a Romulan can be?

We will be showcasing A Call to Arms: Star Fleet for the first time in the UK at Claudia Con, at the Renassiance Heathrow Hotel, in London on August 13th & 14th.

There is lots of other things happening at this event, and it should be a lot of fun!

You can find more information at;

http://www.claudiaconuk.com/index.htm

And check out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PTOHBJ9mBgY#at=15

Shes... throwing herself a con... for.. her birthday? The ego of that crazy woman, seriously.

And people ARE GOING?! :shock:

If I throw a con in my own honour, mostly in my house, can I get Mongoose to run a demo of ACTA:SF three months ahead of release? :D

Guys, it is not in her 'honour' :)

The idea is to throw a different sort of fantasy/sci-fi convention.

If you don't go to these things, they are usually meat markets. You get in a queue, pay your £5 or £10, or whatever, mince up to your sci-fi celeb and chat to them for 30 seconds while pretending it is not all about paying for their signature. It is all very artifical and impersonal.

Claudia hates that (and, in fact, it is also the reason that when she came down to our Open Days we avoided the format too).

This convention is about getting up close and personal with the guys and gals you've seen on screen, and actually talking to them, asking questions, and generally having a good time. No barriers, no bouncers, just you and them, chewing over sci-fi for the weekend.

It just happens to be on her birthday :)

Anyway, we'll be there, and we are pretty sure it will be a lot of fun. The chance to get your mits on some of the new Star Fleet minis and push them around the table to try the new rules out has to be a bonus!

We are also trying to get one of the girls to wear a Uhura uniform. You won't want to miss that.

Guys, it is not in her 'honour' Smile

The idea is to throw a different sort of fantasy/sci-fi convention.

If you don't go to these things, they are usually meat markets. You get in a queue, pay your £5 or £10, or whatever, mince up to your sci-fi celeb and chat to them for 30 seconds while pretending it is not all about paying for their signature. It is all very artifical and impersonal.

Claudia hates that (and, in fact, it is also the reason that when she came down to our Open Days we avoided the format too).

This convention is about getting up close and personal with the guys and gals you've seen on screen, and actually talking to them, asking questions, and generally having a good time. No barriers, no bouncers, just you and them, chewing over sci-fi for the weekend.

It just happens to be on her birthday Smile

Anyway, we'll be there, and we are pretty sure it will be a lot of fun. The chance to get your mits on some of the new Star Fleet minis and push them around the table to try the new rules out has to be a bonus!

We are also trying to get one of the girls to wear a Uhura uniform. You won't want to miss that.

I have to confess I have never been to a Con of any kind so I really have no idea how they work. Given what you describe I can defiantly understand everyone wanting to do something more organic. Getting to meet some of the people who worked on these shows as people would be great.

msprange said:

Matt

I'm only messin' :D. Sadly enough, i'm old enough to remember Star Trek conventions before they were taken over by the meat market approach. The first one I went to, the guests sat in the bar and mingled with everyone. David Gerrold (writer of Trouble With Tribbles) even bought me a pint. It all changed in the early 90's when the Star Trek - TNG stars were brought in house by Creation Entertainment that the culture of pay for pics took hold. If this convention is promoting the old style of doing things, then i'm all for it.

I have to confess I have never been to a Con of any kind so I really have no idea how they work. Given what you describe I can defiantly understand everyone wanting to do something more organic. Getting to meet some of the people who worked on these shows as people would be great.

The closest thing I've experienced is one at our local university which turned out to be little more than a bring & buy sale. You wouldn't have to do much to be better than that. :)

Girls in TOS style uniforms is no bad thing either
Depends on the young lady in question.

Just annoys me that cons seem to happen at the other end of the country to where I am... :lol:

Matt: any chance of a spoiler or two released at the same time for us guys who can't get down there? It won't be the same, but it'd be a nice touch.

Pretty please??

Yes being one the wrong end of the country is just awful, but then again you could be like me in be in Oklahoma, wonderful place, but no one comes here for conventions, game demos, or unveilings.

Maybe Matt will be feeling generous and give us some pictures? Though they would have to be really good pictures to take my attention away from watching the floorboards warp.

If I were back in Ireland, and if I could afford it, I'd consider popping over... oh well.

I hope those of you who do go have fun.

Oh, will any of the material from Fleets of the Fading Suns be previewed at the event, too?

From the description of the current Con system, it makes me more satisfied with not having attended any Cons since the 1980s. :lol:

Back