First try with the new rules

locarno24

Cosmic Mongoose
Had a quick try last night with some kleggish special forces (read - three minion kleggs and one level 1 hero klegg-sergeant with Tough and Duck and Weave) versus a humungous mob of juves with zip guns (33 of them, to be precise!), both weighing in at about 670 creds worth.

The Juves launched an ambush from a crowd of citizens, hoping to take down the klegg patrol before they could react and summon help.

The Kleggs opened up on turn 1, using Spray to get create quite a wall of fire, but the juves being reasonably spread out, and finding a little soft cover from the crowds as they launched their attack, as well as their +1 agility, means that only about half the attack dice hit (although any hit was sufficient to take the juve down instantly).

Nevertheless, with two shooting actions, eleven were killed. 1/3 of the gang had been slaughtered in the opening few seconds. To make matters worse, the weedy range on the zip guns left the survivors with no choice but to keep charging forwards, not stopping to shoot.

The worst thing was, that in closing into range, the juves had to bunch up just as much as before. The second volley from the Kleggs was even more horrific, this time butchering another ten, leaving only twelve in the field.

The juves opened up with their zip guns, splitting their fire roughly half-and-half against the Kleggs at the fronts and rear of the line, and successfully turning them both into chopped crocodile meat. No-one bothered shooting at the Klegg-sergeant at this point - with Agility +1. duck and weave, the juve's Shoot -1 and the hard cover of the wrecked vending machine he'd courageously dived behind for protection, the juves would need to beat his dodge roll by a faintly ridiculous 5 to land a hit.

With the zip guns on the edge of their range, charging with the Kleggs wouldn't reach then enemy. Besides, the Klegg-sergeant was having fun machine-gunning the dumb humans. Two more Spray bursts each, and nearly half the remaining juves were gone, leaving just seven. No-where near as many kills from the bursts this time, as the targets were starting to thin out markedly.

The juves were now at a stage of needing to make Will To Fight tests, which remarkably all but one of them passed. The six juves fired again, killing the last Klegg-trooper after eleven bursts of zip gun fire. The last juve fired his zip gun for the second time at the Klegg-sergeant, who ducked out of the way without any trouble.

At this point, the Klegg-sergeant also had to take a Will To Fight test - and failed it, utterly. Seeing his three minions taken down, he yelped in alarm, dropped his gun and scampered off in the direction of the barracks, zip gun bullets whizzing past his head, desperately radioing for backup.

The juves celebrated their victory, picking up the oversized spit guns and sauntering back towards their home block, trying hard to ignore the fact that about three-quarters of the gang had just been wiped out. They managed to find their cowardly seventh member, and were claiming that they'd get that fourth croc next time around when they heard the unmistakeable sounds* of a Klegg battlecruiser flying in their direction. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valour, they bravely legged it and hid....

All in all, a good fun game. Heavy spit guns on Spray are, I've decided, truly horrific (although that's perfectly acceptible, given what they cost!) - although it does seem odd that you only roll one shooting die; walking fire this way and that seems like it should hit some targets but not others. I suppose that's covered in the agility roll by the targets; this game was fairly odd in that almost all the Klegg fire rolled either a 2-3 or an 8+, so their agility checks were almost a forgone conclusion, and the bursts either killed everyone or no-one.

The Klegg-sergeant was a bit of a let-down. He should have been able to take a ridiculous amount of punishment, and in the end legged it without even a snout-wound. Just goes to show, I suppose, that Brave would probably have been a better choice than Tough. I was leery of Will To Fight skills because I thought that any 'natural leaders' (e.g. Inspire) would just get shot first. On the other hand, Kleggs can take a lot of bullets, especially with Agility +1 and a fifth Hit for being a hero.

Quick query, by the way - to create the Klegg-sergeant I took off the price of his heavy spit gun, doubled the remainder then added the heavy spit gun back in. Is that right, or should I have doubled the whole lot?

*The principle sound being gunfire as the battlecruiser blew hover-wagons, meg-way overpasses and small blocks out of its way rather than bothering to manoeuvre around them.

locarno24 said:
Quick query, by the way - to create the Klegg-sergeant I took off the price of his heavy spit gun, doubled the remainder then added the heavy spit gun back in. Is that right, or should I have doubled the whole lot?

As things stand, that is correct.

Sounds like your sergeant did a very Klegg-like thing!

I enjoyed the play test summary a lot. Good going.

I have not play tested myself, just read the rules. From the reading and they play test above I have several thoughts. I wont say much yet but I really dont see much of a change from the GOMCO rule structure. I totally enjoyed GOMCO with several exceptions, that I hoped would be addressed in this rule set. The biggest omission for me is the absence of range considerations. Minis for me are about realism, to a point. No range 'modifiers', one hit and lack of injuries is really not setting anything new up and actually taking away. The game seems to have become a bit more simplistic for increased playability. How is this system a significant improvement over the existing GOMOC rules set? D10? This extends proability percentages.

Im sorry but this system does not appear to be attracting any new players to the Mongoose sphere and continues to cater to the old crowd. Some 'realistic' depth to the system could shake it up a lil and get some others to take notice.

Im sorry if I spoke out of order. I am grateful that the 2000AD/Dredd mini universe is still being thought about. Anything new for the 2000AD minis is always welcome! Espically a few vehicles and scapes! Please???

Sounds like your sergeant did a very Klegg-like thing!

That's what I was thinking. I said at the time that inspire or brave would be a better buy, but the more I think about it, the more it doesn't really feel right. As you say, what happened seemed perfectly appropriate. :D

I really liked the system. I've not played the previous Judge Dredd rules, but I'm a big fan of Modern Combat* & World at War. The rules were quick to play (took about half an hour), even with a big crowd of Juves, and they're simple. The quick 'bolt-on' rules to make anyone into a hero means you can do whatever the hell you like for a force, which is perfect.

I find myself remembering the 'Predator vs Judge Dredd' crossover. Will have to think about that one....

Will probably try a game with the Judges next time.
P.S. one quick request - just because it feels wierd not to. Can you give the Ricochet round Spray? Only it seems bizzarre that you can fire a ricochet round into a building, and get 6 times the attack dice because it's bouncing back and forth like something demented, but it still only hits the original target...

* Except for Apaches with Hydra rocket pods. Those are hideous, wrong and should not be allowed. Ever. Principally because the MEA don't get them. And I forgot to bring any AA weapons. Anyway....whinging excuses for miserable defeat over. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Standing-Stone said:
Two questions!

Are these new rules a extension for Gangs of Mega City One?

Is that what the new minatures are for?

It is a new game (one where we will be letting people download the final rules for free!) that has a much, much greater scope that GoMC1. In the older game, you controlled a street gang. In this game, you can play... well, pretty much anything you want!

A street patrol of Judges
A Blitz Agency
A lone Klegg trying to eke a living in a rad-sector, having been left behind by all his friends...

Oh, and street gangs :)

The one thing im glad didnt make its way into this rule set is the whole one person at a time unless a leader yells at them. that was actully the one thing that kinda blew it the first time for my group.

Back