First Ones paint job help needed

M1ndr1d3rs

Mongoose
I'm trying to help a friend figuring out how to paint his Ancients fleet. Suggestions anybody? Pics will be lovely.

Predictably, the most troublesome one is the Traveller...

I also need sugestions on making the Kirishiac Lordship look realistic. How to make the satellites' struts less conspicuous.

I haven't actually painted mine yet so I can't really offe any painting advice. However the one thing I can't recommend enough, is to mount the Traveller horizontally! The detail on the bottom of the circular piece is the best part of the entire Ancients box set. Shame to have it hidden on the bottom of a ship, where it'll never be seen!

@ Burger: Yeah, I agree that the dancing lights on the saucer section is what makes the Traveller truly a wonder to behold.
But how do you do that? Do we drill a new hole in one of the the supporting legs? Will that support the mini well enough? He got it from the old AoG site, so the base is pretty small. Center of gravity becomes an issue.

I use brass rods for all my minis, so thats what I did here too. It's attached to the side (the central column, not the sticking out supports), under the centre of gravity. Green stuff and superglue to stick about 1cm of square brass rod onto the model. Then base is made with about 2" of bigger brass rod. It works great :)

The lordship is the globe with the spiky satalite ships, we just used thin black wire and it looks okay.

Ripple

@Lordship

To get a glow effect paint it with red for example then paint a smaller area with orange/red then make a small dot with orange then make in that one a even smaller dot with white and after that use one layer of gloss varnish.
Sorry im not that good at explaining but look for artikles about highligting that should help..
And the gloss varnish makes a "glowing" effect.

I painted mine over a year ago.. just froze the screen and used that visual for overall paint schemes. Haven't used them in a game, just have them on display in the living room. All of them have balance issues due to weight or odd configurations. Like Burger sez, brass rod. I've got mine on weighted bases, large washers or sheet metal under the plastic flight base.
For blinking lights, I used flourescent paints on top of a base color. Not perfect but functional.
The Darkknife I did in white primer, overall base color was Model Master metallic graphite, "wings" I did in Vallejo gunmetal blue. Smoke inkwash over most of it.
the Lordship was done in black primer, followed by drybrushes of two grey colors, one light, one darker, then smoke washed.
the Thoughtforce was done in primer white, given an overall yellow ink wash, followed by drybrushing flourescent yellow and vallejo sun yellow. I gave it a very thin ink wash.
The Traveller is kind of a pain in the butt to put together. I think I did a black primer on that one followed up with drybrushing of two or three different shades of brown. Ink washed it then did the "lights" with various bright primary colors topped off with flourescents.
the Triumveron was just black primer with light grey and silver dry brush coloring followed by a light inking.
Lots of work for stuff that doesn't get used. Pretty to look at though ;)

Ok, I get your references, but for consistency's sake:
When I say Thoughtforce, I mean the small rock-like ship. Lordship = Yellow ship with satelite thingies. since it's my topic I can do this :wink:

For the Thoughtforce I'm thinking of some red/orange wash, to get the glows between the wings. Any thoughts?

@ David: What blue did you use for the Traveller's saucer? Did you detail the saucers surface?

Pics would be nice... To be honest the paintjob on the MGP site makes them look cute! (A VERY bad thing in this case)

M1ndr1d3rs said:
Ok, I get your references, but for consistency's sake:
When I say Thoughtforce, I mean the small rock-like ship. Lordship = Yellow ship with satelite thingies. since it's my topic I can do this :wink:

For the Thoughtforce I'm thinking of some red/orange wash, to get the glows between the wings. Any thoughts?

@ David: What blue did you use for the Traveller's saucer? Did you detail the saucers surface?

Pics would be nice... To be honest the paintjob on the MGP site makes them look cute! (A VERY bad thing in this case)

Umm no you can't. It confuses the Great Unwashed. ;) I used a light blue followed up by a couple of coats of flourescent blue. I don't remember detailing the saucer all that much. I believe I did a light silver drybrush followed up by a smoke inkwash. Pics might be nice, but I'm at work now, butt deep in snow.

Ok, now they go by Rocky and Thorny... how's that? :lol:

Thanks for the Walker input David. Pics would be appreciated but do it when it's convenient for u. like when you've dug yourself out of the snow :lol:

How do you guys do effects for glowy crevices? Like a volcano or lava filled pit? While your advised method is indeed effective Derina, with such a small model, that simple a paint scheme don't really appeal to me :? I've also thought of painting Rocky like it was jumping out of hyperspace. Materializing out of a giant fireball is definitely one of the cooler jump styles in B5... Any ideas how to do that?

if its any help look on epicarmycard.com, i have two on there,

and also,

6fbf_1.jpg
[/img]

Thx Darknight. I particularly like the Triumvirion :D Can't say I like your Thorny though. Reminds me of a durian fruit...

M1ndr1d3rs said:
Thx Darknight. I particularly like the Triumvirion :D Can't say I like your Thorny though. Reminds me of a durian fruit...

I bet it smells a whole lot better though :lol:

Since it's a very controversial fruit (even here in Indonesia), you bet which smells better than which Banichi? :lol:

you can get them frozen from the asian food store down here. Just don't do what I did and leave it on the kitchen bench to defrost while you go to work.

This is my effort on the Walker miniature. I decided that straight black would be too stark for the fiddly bits so I mixed a little light purple into the gloss black. For the "roaming" colours, I used thinned down brown, orange and red acrylic colours. As for the saucer section, the ship on the show had a large number of lights of various colours and sizes. The mini has lots of spots to show these different lights.
I thought it would be a shame to mount the ship the way it was designed so I drilled into the main structure and set it on its side.
This is my first try at adding pictures to a post so you can view my Walker here;
http://www3.telus.net/public/warspite/Walker01.JPG http://www3.telus.net/public/warspite/Walker02.JPG
http://www3.telus.net/public/warspi...ms/hh112/hmswarspite/Walker03.jpg[/img][/img]

Back