First Impressions of the JTAS CD-Rom Collection

phavoc

Emperor Mongoose
I recently made a puchase of 4 CD's from the other Traveller site. :) I never did have any of the original JTAS pamphlets, and I think I have only one Challenge Magazine, certainly not from the beginning of the series. So here's my review of the stuff:

Packaging - Regular black full-sized DVD case. The outside has a nicely printed label, with the back cover having a collection of all the various covers for the different magazines. The CD itself has been printed upon it, so no cheap labels. Overall the production quality of the packaging is high.

Contents - Just like the label says, you get the first 24 issues of the JTAS, pluse the next 12 that were part of Challenge magazine. It's the typical old-school Traveller addon - a clean copy of each magazine was taken apart, scanned, and then converted into a file. Everything is there - including the ads! It's a Lol trip down memory lane at some of the graphics and bylines. But definitely an interesting nostalgia trip for those that remember Traveller from the early days (not to mention some of the now-defunct gaming companies like Martian Metals and the Compleat Strategist - at least I think they are defunct!).

Placing the CD inside the drive activates the menu system (it's active content, so your computer should pop up a warning about the danger of running active content). Clicking past that you'll get to the main menu. It's simple, but effecient. First it gives the first 24 issues with a hyperlink to each issue, along with the primary article that was the centerpiece of each issue. I have just scanned through a few issues, but there are certainly some interesting articles in there (like jump points in a system that are naturally going to be clear of objects (L-points in some instances) and what type of encounters you may have around them - certainly useful today in MgT Traveller).

Other articles are included, like Broadsword class cruisers, or Darrians, Aslans, etc. Things that later got expanded upon a great deal and their own source books created for them. And lets not forget our Traveller News service articles. :)

Moving on to the Challenge articles - I'm a bit more disappointed here. When Challenge magazine came about, JTAS got folded into it. Which makes sense from an economic standpoint. But Traveller certainly got the short end of the stick here. The amount of material in each of the first 12 Challenge/JTAS articles pales in comparison to the original JTAS. Again, not having read every attached article, so I could be off here... but I went through three of the 12 and I'm pretty sure its going to be the same.

Production values are the same - cut and scan into a single file. It's all black and white, with some color (like the covers, and a few ads). It's all very usable and playable. Just short. Which, I suppose, was how it used to be in the original magazines, so I can't fault them for that.

It's odd that only the first 12 articles are present. I am curious if there are going to be additional ones added later, of if that's it. I still have a smattering of the old 'zines, some really odd, like Far and Away, the Traveller Chronicles and even issue #3 of DGP's The Mega Traveller Journal - I have no idea where that one came from!

Anywhoo, that's my report and I'm sticking to it! Lol! I've got three more to look through - the FASA/Gamelords compilation, TNE collection #1 and TNE collection #2.

Hope you enjoyed this. I'm off to wait for WoW - Cataclysm to drop at midnight at the stores. Gotta go slay some dragons and few elves, dwarves and humans. Pesky critters those elves... it's like Legolas was cloned by every 14yr old kid in the US.

The FFE CD-ROMs are a goldmine, and a snap at the price even if many seem to have scanning issues. The sheer quantity of material makes the errors relatively rare - annoying when you come across them, but probably statistically inevitable.

I do find it much easier to simply move the PDFs into a directory for reading rather than using the CD menu, though.

I agree that they do seem to be a bargain. My next review I think is going to be the FASA compilation one. And then the two TNE ones. I was just perusing both last night. The FASA one is pretty much what I expected - the old supplements were rather sparse, but not terrible. The first TNE one is literally PACKED with stuff. Thus far it's appearing to be a huge value for the money.

Overall the scan quality is meh.... I can understand wanting to keep resolution reasonable, and for the price I suppose I can't blame them for not cleaning up some of the scans that were a might fuzzy.

Certainly worth the money if you like to collect older Traveller stuff.

I still have a few of those early Challenge issues, and yes, JTAS was the poor cousin! Twilight 2000 was 'the big thing'... Topical at the time, but it now looks as dated as VHS cassettes... :lol:

I bought the print versions of JTAS a few months ago when they had that nice sale on them. Well worth having all those articles compiled together rather than have to search each issue, plus I didn't have all of them, I was missing 3. I think I lost them in a house fire back in 2003 due to having them mixed in with my Dungeon and Dragon collection, which I lost in their entirety.

Vile said:
I do find it much easier to simply move the PDFs into a directory for reading rather than using the CD menu, though.

Yes I have the lot on my laptop, my PC and even on my flash-drive so I can access it at work :)

Are the Reticulan Parasites on it? I have an interest in seeing what these are like. Of course, if someone could pm me stats, that would also be cool.

zero, have you tried here:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=22907

The stats from the JTAS issue are all included...

I never knew they were the actual Parasite stats... huh. :?

Anyways, from them I created a profile for the Egg and added it to my "Alien in Traveller" thread, with rules to help those being egg-morphed and destroying any found eggs, plus how they react when found.

Now my life-cycle for the creature is complete and should be a good creature or plot-point to add to games. I suggest using the old "distress signal" plot, myself I have a plot where a business man will pay a month's payments of their ship if they go to a world/ship and pick up a science team, a ship's months pay for 2 weeks work. Of course things go south from there... :twisted:

Back