Finesse combat maneuver

I'm making an attempt to add a little more flavor to the list of combat maneuvers for my players. Starting by adding more to options to finesse attacks. So far I've come up with the following:

Lightning Reflexes (General)

Benefit: You get a +2 Bonus on all Reflex saving throws and finesse attacks.

RIPOSTE

You can follow up a parry with an attack of opportunity using a Finesse Attack.

Prerequesites: Lightning Reflexes, Finesse Attack +7

Circumstances: You must be parrying.

Effect: Failed attacks vs your parry now provokes an attack of opportunity

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

I think Riposte is a bit powerful for a combat maneuver, but then Conan is a bit more powerful compared to most systems. However, I think this should definitely require you to riposte with a Finesse attack, rather than a standard melee attack.

I think Riposte is a bit powerful for a combat maneuver, but then Conan is a bit more powerful compared to most systems. However, I think this should definitely require you to riposte with a Finesse attack, rather than a standard melee attack.

Agreed and edited to reflect that.

I like your idea here, but I think there is no reason not to repost all the time.

If I were running a game I would like to see it used more tactically like defensive strike.

:idea: Give the maneuver a penalty (say -2?) to your parry score.

Just added:

NEW FEAT:

En Garde

You take an active defencive stance when entering into combat using finesse attack.

Prerequesites: Improved Initiative, Finesse Attack +3, WIS 13+

Benifit: You may add your WIS bonus to your parry.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Exotic Weapon:

Rapier - Dam:1d8 Crit:19-20/x2 AP:3 HD:6 HP:4 WGHT:1lb TYP:P

Lion of Aquilonia said:
I'm making an attempt to add a little more flavor to the list of combat maneuvers for my players. Starting by adding more to options to finesse attacks. So far I've come up with the following:

Lightning Reflexes (General)

Benefit: You get a +2 Bonus on all Reflex saving throws and finesse attacks.

Too good. I know that Ref saves are devalued a bit in Conan with the lack of area effect spells, but even if you were to stipulate that Lightning Reflexes was underbalanced (a big if: there should still be many traps to challenge a Ref save, plus it adds to your Initiative!) the bonuse to finesse attacks is way out of line. Wep Focus gives you a +1 to attack with a single weapon. A feat which did nothing but give you +1 to finesse attacks would be pushing it, in fact I woldn't allow it. But +2? No way. Very broken.

RIPOSTE

You can follow up a parry with an attack of opportunity using a Finesse Attack.

Prerequesites: Lightning Reflexes, Finesse Attack +7

Circumstances: You must be parrying.

Effect: Failed attacks vs your parry now provokes an attack of opportunity

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

Uh, and just how does that compare to the existing Cat's Parry? Which happens to have higher preq's (the earliest you can get a base parry of +6 is 8th level) and gives your opponent a +4 to hit when you use it? I think I'm gonna have to give a big thumbs down on this one as well.

Lion of Aquilonia said:
Just added:

NEW FEAT:

En Garde

You take an active defencive stance when entering into combat using finesse attack.

Prerequesites: Improved Initiative, Finesse Attack +3, WIS 13+

Benifit: You may add your WIS bonus to your parry.

Hmm, why is Improved Initiative a preq? Just looking for the flavor here, what does being fast on your feet have to do with the uncanny ability to percieve your enemies blows before they land and adapt (Wis bonus to DV)?

Comparing this feat to Intiricate Swordplay it looks like the preq's are too easy. Also Intricate Swordplay has the added restriction of having to use one of only a few one handed weapons and wear at most medium armor. If you want a feat without restrictions like that you will really have to put some powerfull preqs behind it. Make it like an 8th or 10th level feat. I can't really think of what those preqs' might be though.

Personally, I am considering just making Intricate Swordplay a catch-all feat. Lets the player choose one of his mental stats to add as a parry bonus (the choice is permenant). That would prevent a munchkin from taking one feat for every mental stat and getting some absurd bonuses.

Exotic Weapon:

Rapier - Dam:1d8 Crit:19-20/x2 AP:3 HD:6 HP:4 WGHT:1lb TYP:P

:?
Um, did you mean for damage to be 2d8? Cuz 1d8 is weak even for a martial weapon. As a one handed, exotic which deals 2d8 it would be .... uh... better than the war sword at 1d12. How about, exotic, one handed, finessable, 1d12 19-20/2 AP3 Piercing damage. That stacks up nicely with the Sabre and War Sword, the only difference being weither you want finesse and piercing or meele and slashing, which is mostly a personal taste issue.[/b]

Ok, enough negativity. How about I actually contribute somehting? This is just off the top of my head but, here goes.

New Combat Manoeuver:
Entraping Disarm:

Prerequisite: Improved Disarm, base parry bonus +1
Circumstance: Must be parrying. Must be fighting using finesse.
Effect: You take a -2 circumstance penalty to your Parry DV. However, if you succeed in parrying the enemy's weapon, you may immediately make a disarm attempt with all the usual modifiers (including the +4 bonus for the Improved Disarm feat) and an additional -2 circumstance penalty. This disarm attempt counts against your allowed attacks of opportunity this round.

What do you think? :)

Ok, enough negativity. How about I actually contribute somehting? This is just off the top of my head but, here goes.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

I think he's looking for helpful input not a genral tearing down of his ideas :idea:

Infidel-X said:
I think he's looking for helpful input not a genral tearing down of his ideas :idea:

Well now, thats not very fair. Criticism was asked for and criticism was given. And its not like I just posted "haw haw this feat suxor and u r lame1!1!11!" I gave reasons why I feel the way I do. Which means that Lion can look at my reasons and say "that nice but I place a lower value on X than you do so I think its balanced as is" or he can say "well then, if I change y will that help" or he can even say "I hate people who mispell 'something', so shut up you" Whatever. But not to answer truthfully, now that wouldn't be any help at all now would it? It would be like hiring an editor to proofread your product and then finding our that they let really stupid errors, like a global find-replace for "lb." slip through, no use at all :wink:

Back