Finesse Attack

BigSteveUK

Mongoose
Silly question.

If people aren't wearing armour can you still use a finesse attack, to attack them?

A question asked by our thief, as obviously his finesse attack bonus is far higher than his normal melee attack as he has now str bonus, but a considerable dex bonus.

I said yes, but just wanted to check.

Cheers,

Steve

BigSteveUK said:
If people aren't wearing armour can you still use a finesse attack, to attack them?

If I have understood the question, the answer is a big "yes, of course!"

The finesse attack is an option for fighters who instead of using their brute force (that is, the STR modifier) and a heavy weapon, use their fencing skill (that is, the DEX modifier) and a light and point weapon, like a rapier.

You could think that attacking with a rapier against full armor is not possible, but that's why in the rulebook AFTER the "finesse" section there's a "finesse and armour" section explaining how can you attack using finesse against armor. Maybe you read it and thought that finesse attacks were used ONLY against armor?

That's one of the things I love about this system. In D20, I believe you have to spend a feat for a particular weapon to use your DEX as your attack bonus. Not to mention DR, which more systems seem to be using.

urdinaran said:
That's one of the things I love about this system. In D20, I believe you have to spend a feat for a particular weapon to use your DEX as your attack bonus. Not to mention DR, which more systems seem to be using.

In D20 it's lousy, you have to have a Weapon Focus AND a Finesse for each wapon, then it only let's you use your DEX instead of STR for attack rolls. Since there is no DR inherent to armour, there is no other benefit.

Voltumna said:
In D20 it's lousy, you have to have a Weapon Focus AND a Finesse for each wapon, then it only let's you use your DEX instead of STR for attack rolls. Since there is no DR inherent to armour, there is no other benefit.
Actually, in 3.5 they changed it a bit so you only have to take Weapon Finesse once and it applies to all light weapons (plus rapier, and a few others, I think). Makes it a bit better at least, I think its a pretty good feat for most Rogues.

Trodax said:
Voltumna said:
Actually, in 3.5 they changed it a bit so you only have to take Weapon Finesse once and it applies to all light weapons (plus rapier, and a few others, I think). Makes it a bit better at least, I think its a pretty good feat for most Rogues.

Yea, that changes the whole thing. 2 feats for each weapon is a lot. I remember when we palyed D&D with 2nd edition rules, my thief was always a lousy fighter despite he had maximum dexteriry. Never actualy played 3 or 3.5, most of that time we were into WoD form White Wolf, so when we get to Conan and the thief could Finesse, it was a nice surprise!

In dnd the logic behind the Weapon Finesse feat is very simple. Str contributes to your melee attacks and Dex contrubutes to your ranged attacks and defense. If you could use finesse for melee then Dex would become the uber-stat offense and defense in one package. So you have to pay a feat in order to perserve balance.

In Conan this problem is solved by the simple expedient of the parry defense. Now both Str and Dex are used for both offense and defense therefore balance is mantained without the feat.

I really do love this game ... :D

Trodax said:
Voltumna said:
Weapon Finesse in Conan also applies to such weapons (those which don't do massive damage like 2-handed swords, but which can be maneouverable).

Just to clarify one little point (I've mentioned this in a dozen threads, not trying to get anyone's goat, just talking about Rapiers as I teach their use on a weekly basis): rapiers are actually heavier, longer-bladed, wider weapons that were much sharper-edged and point than the DnD game stats represent. Rapiers were slashing weapons; transition-rapiers were cut and thrusting weapons, and smallswords (what most people think of as dueling swords, from the late 17th-19th centuries) are thrusting weapons. The foil was invented to help train in the practise of smallsword fencing in the early 1800s. It was never used for combat, though it is the Olympic weapon we all know nowadays.
rapier.jpg

a rapier

cazoleta-rapier.jpg

another rapier

tl21.jpg

a transition rapier

scottycam_smallsword4.jpg

Smallsword duel choreography

Okay, I'm done with my post, just wanted to clarify, thanks for bearing with me! :) Rapiers don't really belong in the Hyborian World, but arming swords, short swords, and similar categorized weapons all can be used with weapon finesse. :twisted:

Back