Fascinating article about the future of the USMC.

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/aviationspace/f2c1d65a5f59f010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

Don't forget to click on VIEW PHOTOS for more future USMC CGI concept art.

*sighs* Only the Marines would think it's a good idea to deploy like that....

A> How do you keep yourself supplied?
B> What about extraction?
C> Heaven help you if you take casualties.

Hiromoon said:
*sighs* Only the Marines would think it's a good idea to deploy like that....

A> How do you keep yourself supplied?
B> What about extraction?
C> Heaven help you if you take casualties.

Well for the supply part, I don't think that's a concern since this type of deployment is meant for short term missions like a hostage crisis or evacuating citizens abroad. This is'nt meant for long term deployments I believe.

Hiromoon said:
D> What happens when Murphy strikes?

They call in the Labor Negotiators and try to come up with an equitable compromise between the two parties.

Oh wait, you mean that Murphy. My bad. :wink: :lol:

Hmm, looks "interesting" - I like the idea of incendiary bats for WW2 Evo :) (presumably right up there with Russian Dog Mines!)

Mounted on wedge-shaped carrier aircraft...

I think we all know where this is going :D

imperial_star_destroyer.gif

One small issue with this...

ABM's.

And these things probably aren;t as fast as the kinds of systems the Arrow and other systems are designed to stop.

Sure it'll be great for busting into small countries with ex-Soviet gear but for taking on a nation with comparable technology (Israel, Wester Europe, maybe Russia and China and anyone they see fit to supply).

Cool idea but I can;t see it being as much use as the same budget being spent on space exploration.

and heaven forbid they can't find anywhere to actually land the concord, errrr sorry marine extra-atmo landing drop pod thing

hegemon said:
and heaven forbid they can't find anywhere to actually land the concord, errrr sorry marine extra-atmo landing drop pod thing
Well acording to the last pic in the slideshow, they do plan to land on roadways, inside the hostile city (very stealthy especially for hostage rescue actions)

Ok this just seems a bit too outlandish... but hey, it's got cool factor.

Exit door is way to narrow to get 13 guys out in a hurry. If that's a hot zone they are going to get mowed down.

Why is this touted as a Marine tool and not a SEAL or elite counter-terrorist unit tool?
I love the PR attempt at making it a feel good "rescue" tool, when you know darn well it's primarily a black ops assault tool.

Paladin said:
Ok this just seems a bit too outlandish... but hey, it's got cool factor.

Exit door is way to narrow to get 13 guys out in a hurry. If that's a hot zone they are going to get mowed down.

Why is this touted as a Marine tool and not a SEAL or elite counter-terrorist unit tool?
I love the PR attempt at making it a feel good "rescue" tool, when you know darn well it's primarily a black ops assault tool.

Perhaps they plan to use it in a much larger scale in the far future. I can see this replacing the need for a large beach landing. Just imagine hundreds of these drop ships descending above some poor dictators palace! His big coastline defense plan that he got going for months would now be completely useless.

Now imagine that horde of marines cut off without supplies, no way to exacuate casualities and no way of extraction.

Omegamann said:
Well acording to the last pic in the slideshow, they do plan to land on roadways, inside the hostile city (very stealthy especially for hostage rescue actions)
so, 90% of the casualties are going to be streetlight-inflicted? remeber, not all countries have those huge things you americans call roads :roll: good luck landing it anywhere in a city in europe :wink:

Back