Errata - Problems with Core Rules

aspqrz

Mongoose
OK. Either I am missing something or the proofreaders were asleep.

Page #50. Dodge.

Attacker misses attack roll cross referenced with Defender misses dodge roll = *ATTACK SUCCEEDS*

Page #51. Parry.

Attacker misses attack roll cross referenced with Defender misses parry roll = *ATTACK SUCCEEDS*

Come again.

The attack *FAILED*.

According to the sequence of play, page #47, Reactions occur AFTER attacks are carried out. So why on earth would anyone bother to dodge or parry and waste a Reaction anyway? ESPECIALLY if the insane rules will then mean that if you *fail* to dodge or parry the attack that *missed*, it will now *HIT* you.

OK. Maybe I'm missing something. Please tell me if so.

Or is it simply insanely stupid proof-reading?

Phil McGregor
=====
PGD: Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi, Road to Armageddon
Aftermath, Space Opera (FGU); Rigger Black Book #1 (FGU)

This has been covered many times , including by my own thread.

Print off the pdf at the top , that helps explain things, but basically, only roll a reaction to a successful attack, and ignore the attacker misses column, it does not apply.

They messed up with the combat table and the example.

I prefer to think they messed up by having defensive reactions as optional.

Not sure I've ever seen anyone get punched in the face and then decide to dodge the attack, you tend to move when the attacker raises his fist.

And yes I have seen people move into the path of an attack, happens all the time, you go for a kick to the chest, he decides to jump and your relatively harmless kick now finds itself heading for a much more sensitive spot than it was aimed for :shock: . That sort of thing is not uncommon and is reflected better, and matches up to the tables, if you have to declare defensive reactions when the attack is declared, not once the attack has been rolled.

Vadrus

Thats if you are aware of/respond to the attack in time. I think limited reactions is a good way of handling faster and multiple attackers.

I've punched plenty of people in the face in sparring (and been punched) where there was no /or far too slow a reaction.

I've also fought 2 on 1 and its very very difficult to block everything - you are constantly giving ground or trying to maneuver one opponent in front of another.

I think its a good idea, just badly described in the main rulebook.

zanshin said:
I've punched plenty of people in the face in sparring (and been punched) where there was no /or far too slow a reaction.

I think its a good idea, just badly described in the main rulebook.
Yep, indeed. And it's last month's stuff which was tidied up. And your point and those above are soooo valid: ime, it is easier to muck up a response than many peeps think(!).

Back