Empty Hexes

GothiousRex

Mongoose
In Classic Traveller, if I recall correctly...

one would get stranded in deep space if they jumped into an empty hex as they would be unable to refuel to make an additional jump.

however, in Mongoose Traveller if you have enough fuel you could do multiple jumps à la Yacht which has enough fuel for 2 Jump-1's

I'm thinking a wealthy pirate group (or anyone else for that matter) could setup staging points with fuel stores in empty space and even build a space station given enough time/resources by shipping the requisite components.

Is there anything preventing this?

Welcome to the forum.

There is a big old thread about this very subject around and you may find what your looking for BUT wear flame proof clothing........your see.

Rog.

A couple of problems with the idea. One is you may well spend more money on the set up than you make on your pirateing. And the Imperial navy can figure out how to do it just as well, and that is the sort of thing they should be patroling for.

But this is traveller, so if you want pirates, let there be pirates. just be aware this is an old idea, adn has been fought over on many a forum. But the bright spot is that some people do actualy listen to both sides and learn something new from time to time.

It is a nice gimmick and new to me and I have been a Traveller player since 1984. A very clever twist on an old, old idea. I can do something with this.

GothiousRex said:

one would get stranded in deep space if they jumped into an empty hex as they would be unable to refuel to make an additional jump.

however, in Mongoose Traveller if you have enough fuel you could do multiple jumps à la Yacht which has enough fuel for 2 Jump-1's

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! :lol:

Sorry dude... long story... take a look around here... use the search engine. More than one battle has been fought over this.

Personally I think your idea sound super. I would add the following input:

Since the Navigation doesn't really have a hug mass to lock onto, (such as a starsystem, you could never actually reach the secret base without the exact coordinates. I mean you end up within +- 1/2 parsec of it and can jump again... sure but who says you'l find it going on thrust looking for a small spec in the dark using inadequate sensors etc.

I say without specific coordinates you'd never find it.

So... adventures could be run stealing thos coordiinates and selling them to the Navy, or preventing them from being sold etc.

Really cool ideas mate.

Cheers.

/wolf

GhostWolf69 said:
GothiousRex said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! :lol:

Sorry dude... long story... take a look around here... use the search engine. More than one battle has been fought over this.

Personally I think your idea sound super. I would add the following input:

Since the Navigation doesn't really have a hug mass to lock onto, (such as a starsystem, you could never actually reach the secret base without the exact coordinates. I mean you end up within +- 1/2 parsec of it and can jump again... sure but who says you'l find it going on thrust looking for a small spec in the dark using inadequate sensors etc.

I say without specific coordinates you'd never find it.

So... adventures could be run stealing thos coordiinates and selling them to the Navy, or preventing them from being sold etc.

Really cool ideas mate.

Cheers.

/wolf

You'll also note from the other threads, that I am the only one interested in the topic... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You can have them set up bases around Brown Dwarfs and interstellar planets in the empty hexes - I wrote a couple of articles about them that can be found in SJG's JTAS Online if you have access to that.

Back