Elder Scrolls as an MRQ Setting?

Having spent what feels like every waking power playing Oblivion on the PC I was struck by what a great MRQ setting it would make. It seems to have most of the elements Daedra Cults, Temples, Factions & Orders are all there, everybody seems to know at least a bit of magic and there are enough rivalries, intrigues & politicking to suit RQ style playing. As a result I've started putting together stats for the "non-standard" races and working out the various religions & daedra cults. I would be interested in other peoples opinions and ideas as I am still just working it out.

I'm a little unsure how to integrate runes into the setting and could use a few suggestions. I may associate them with Ayleid culture or the Daedra or maybe just leave 'em as is.

Magic in general is sticky, I'm probably going to assume that Rune Magic is available through Cults & Mages Guild (obviously). The idea is any associate of the Mages Guild can pay to learn Rune Magic. Apprentices and higher can also learn sorcery. Divine magic will be available through the temples as per MRQ RAW. Daedra cults will probably work the same, although I am toying with the idea of using Spirit Magic for Daedra.

The best thing is that, the Alchemy rules from Elder Scrolls seem pretty much a perfect plug-in for MRQ and I will probably use the "level" system for access to additional properties of ingredients as written. Still have to hammer out the POT of potions. Some of the effects will have to be slightly adjusted to make them appropriate.

Ayelid stuff I guess will need some work as well. Welkynd stones are obviously "one-shot" MP Storage Crystals. I need to re-read the enchantment rules to see if Varla stones are appropriate. I do like the ES concept of recharging magic items so I may port it.

What do other people think? Suggestions and guidance would be gratefully accepted.

If I get it in a polished enough form, I may even ask Bethesda if they mind me posting it at the Imperial Library - http://til.gamingsource.net/ - though that is a loooong way off!

Funnily you should bring this up. Ken Rolston, the man behind Elder Scrolls, is an RPG writer, and actually wrote scenarios and source books for past editions of RuneQuest, and Chaosium's Stormbringer line. I think he's done stuff for Mongoose as well.

Here is a list of the RPGs he has written for:

CLICK

The problem I ran into was the armor skills. Block is easy but what to do Light Armor and Heavy Armor has made me consider instead of fitting ES to RQ fitting RQ to ES. Either way for magic I just made each school a skill and use the ES spells

Back