Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alien027

Mongoose
ctaavenger.jpg

Need fighter support in your games but cannot justify a Poseidon? The Avenger is just what you are looking for. Carrying 8 flights of Starfuries and capable of dropping them all within two turns, the Avenger has the ability to flood medium-sized battles with fighters, overwhelming most enemies quickly. A high damage score, Interceptors and good armour will ensure the Avenger is kept safe, even in the heart of battle.
and everything sound good, this ship is Obsolete! I hope than someday soon before Idie Mogoose make a replacement to this ship at raid level at least. :evil:

Malarion said:
If you want it to drop to raid level, youd need to drop the number of fighter flights it carries........

whats the point, when at Raid there is the Explorer with 6 flights.

Point is, the Poseidon only has 16 flights.

drop it to raid level, and youd at battle level:
2 points 1 poseidon: 16 Furies
4 raid avengers: 32 Furies.

Never forget, that the Explorer is no carrier. It has finished launching fighters by turn 5, or turn 3 at the earliest. No fleet carrier special ability on it too.

To drop it down, you could also drop fleet carrier as an ability. Or chop down its launch rate.....

Whatever you want to do. But a Hull 4 Carrier only has so many damage points, and one loaded with fighters still is a prime target ^^.

I've taken an avenger once, and it died in one turn's shooting from a drazi stormfalcon. and I was even on close blast doors! the ship was still there, but no crew. this is why I wanted to see the fleet carrier trait lose its range restriction. you can't use it without putting it in harms' way. and it doesn't take much to kill an avenger.

Chern

Well the fleet carrier range restriction only applies to the recovery option dont forget (and is still effective up to about 30"). To get the dogfight bonus the fleet carrier merely has to be on the table :D

Chernobyl said:
I've taken an avenger once, and it died in one turn's shooting from a drazi stormfalcon. and I was even on close blast doors! the ship was still there, but no crew. this is why I wanted to see the fleet carrier trait lose its range restriction. you can't use it without putting it in harms' way. and it doesn't take much to kill an avenger.

Chern

Chern,

Carriers ae carriers. They just carry fighters and are usually the CnC, they are not designed as spear head attacks. Think of the Enterprise, or Nimitz of today. They sit nestled in a cluster of other vessels, who protect them. If you have enemy vessels up close, and personal. It means you have not adequately provided a screen, to fend off the attacks.

adequately provided a screen? this isn't battlefleet gothic - you can target anything you want if its in range! if I surround an avenger with 2 novas and 2 olympii, there's absolutely nothing to prevent him from targeting the avenger, absent using a "move to shield them" special action.
if hes willing to pay the price, there's nothing to stop him. I didn't put the avenger up front. it was nesteld in the back of my forces, safe and secure or so I thought. besides most battle level ships have 30" guns anyway.

Chern

Chernobyl said:
adequately provided a screen? this isn't battlefleet gothic - you can target anything you want if its in range!Chern

Granted, but if he is devoting his big guns to that. It's gving you time to do a little "Counter-Artillery fire", and take out his big stuff with yours. A lot of battles, boils down to sacrificing something to gain the advantage.

Calistan said:
How large are the Avenger and Poseidon Carriers?

The Avenger is at Battle, and about 3" long, the Poseidon is at War and 9" long (imagine a multistory carpark with engines on the end).

Well I want to gives this idea for a future Carrier.... This one have self defence capability and if you make it a little bit for fat at the botton to have space for the fighter.
python2000.jpg

But with some modification to make it more carrier look, Or Maybe you could take the orestes model and heavy modify him to make a carrier....

What do you think Chern.

The Avenger on its own is not a bad carrier, but put it up against anny other races carrier at ballte level (like the Moshin or the Balvarix) and it is totally outclassed, both in firepower, hull, and Initiative. The only thing that makes it worthwhile is that the EA Starfuries and Thunderbolts are very decent fighter crafts (altough the could use an extra +1 bonus on their dogfight traits)

Greetz

I don't know who did those CGI renderings, but they're all "hack jobs" in my opinion. I can see bits from about 5 different ships there all stuck together...nova, warlock, hyperion, hermes, and maybe an orion there...
its like legos, with CGI..."lets see how we can re-arrange the bits and make a new ship"

Chern

We should wait to see how fighters are changed before suggesting changes to the carriers...Armageddon should improve fighters from what I've read.

As for the CGI, I actually like it - not for a carrier though. It sure looks better than the Nemesis in my opinion --> Just an opinion.

Back