Dune Campaign setting?

Archer

Mongoose
What would mongoose say about doing a Dune campaign setting for use with the RQ rules?

I do not know who owns the license to dune etc., and I know that it was a short lived Dune RPG (it's license got cancelled or something like that), but I think it would be a good way to show how to adapt the RQ rules to a SciFi setting.

Dune would definitely be the ideal sci-fi setting to go with the RuneQuest rules.

The only problem is that, by all accounts, it appears to be one of the trickiest licences to nail down.

TrippyHippy said:
Dune would definitely be the ideal sci-fi setting to go with the RuneQuest rules.

The only problem is that, by all accounts, it appears to be one of the trickiest licences to nail down.

I agree.

And that is something I have understood as well. But I have faith in Mongoose. If anyone can do it, they can :)
The question is, do they want to do it?

Archer said:
TrippyHippy said:

I agree.

And that is something I have understood as well. But I have faith in Mongoose. If anyone can do it, they can :)
The question is, do they want to do it?

Dune is cool yes, but for the love of Mary, has the writing of Fiction ceased for the last 25 years? Where are the new worlds and ideas?

Well, I can not really answer that. There certainly are new writings and settings that could be adapted, but for some reason, much of what I have read in recent years feel rather shallow to me. I have not found any scifi or fantasy books that really has been that intresting. Perhaps that is just bad luck.

I blame bloody Harry Potter!

Anyway, in my opinion Dune is not just a good sci-fi novel, it's an archetypal sci-fi novel, in the same way that Lord of the Rings is archetypal of the fantasy genre, or maybe the Illuminatus trilogy is archetypal to the conspiracy genre.

That is to say, that most stories of that particular genre will acknowledge at least some influence from these sources, even if they are only reactions against the type.

If you are looking for a more recent epic sci-fi setting, for gaming with, then I'd say Blue Planet was a pretty good effort. Nevertheless, there is something wholly empyrian about the Dune setting, that has yet to be fully tapped in a successfull rpg line.

Well, the closest thing to a Dune RPG that exist, I think is Fading Suns, and that is still pretty far of the mark.

Dune certainly is one of the great archetypes for science fiction, and in some ways fantasy as well. In my opinion it borders between fantasy and science fiction, so I would probably name it Science Fantasy (it has elements of supernatural powers much like magic and advanced technology).

I never found Blue Planet to be that intresting. But then I only took a very shallow look at it.

TrippyHippy said:
I blame blood Harry Potter!

Anyway, in my opinion Dune is not just a good sci-fi novel, it's an archetypal sci-fi novel, in the same way that Lord of the Rings is archetypal of the fantasy genre, or maybe the Illuminatus trilogy is archetypal to the conspiracy genre (snipped)

Ok good point there. I suppose there's also Wheel of Time and Black Company that I'm aware of. It was just starting to look like we were holding an 'old gamers reunion' with all the Conan, Lankhmar, Stormbringer and then Dune being talked about.

Oh, I don't know. Just some guys with good taste...well, except for Dune. Always good to have some variety, though. Never met anyone whose tastes match up perfectly, it's OK to like Dune...and anyone who prefers RQ to D&D has to be a person of refinement and good taste anyway. :p

Back