Drive it Deep

Belkregos

Mongoose
I hoped to see this feat (or something to the effect) in the new Hyborias fallen book, but since its not there, I’d like to get some input on the appropriateness of this feet to an Hyborian campaign,

Drive It Deep [Fighter, General]
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +1.
Benefit: On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.
Special: This feat can only be used with light or one-handed weapons, including both ends of a double weapon. It cannot be used to increase the damage dealt by two-handed weapons, and wielding a light or one-handed weapon in two hands grants no additional benefit.
This feat may not be used in conjunction with Power Attack.

Well it's a weak version of power attack it seems. I wouldn't disallow it if a player really wanted it and I don't think it would destroy the flavor of the game. Sinc eit can't be used with power attack I don't see any way it would be overpowered.

I'd almost say that it should be something more like an effect after a successful hit is scored. Attacker uses a full round action to brutally shove the blade further into his foe dealing extra damage somehow. I think the idea of a lesser power attack is cool, but I think it's unnecessary.

How about this:

Drive it Deep [Fighter, General]
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Power Attack

In the round after a successful damaging strike, the warrior attempts to drive his blade even deeper into his foe with a brutal thrust. As a Full Rund Action, start a Grapple attempt as normal, but without needing to roll to hit the target. Winning the Grapple Check allows the attacker to inflict maximum damage on his foe, including Strength bonus, but not any additional increased bonus for using two hands.

A successful Attack of Opportunity will negate the additional damage effect.

Having Improved Unarmed Strike will negate the opponent's Attack or Opportunity as does Pinning.

Too powerful?

About a week after 3.5 came out I decided to house rule that you could use PA with light weapons at a 1:1 ratio.

I've yet to see any problems with it. The change from 3.0 (PA works with light weapons) to 3.5 (cant use PA with light weapons) was an unnessicary nutering of small weapons IMNSHO.

Of course I kept the two-handed weapon 1:2 PA rule.

Later.

Thanks for the input,
The advantage of adding something like this is you ca use 2 light weapons,
With Power attack being applicable only to one hand weapons means you cant use it with fighting with 2 weapons unless you incur the -4 to hit penalty for fighting with 2 one handed weapons (unless one is an unarmed attack)

A rule like this (IMO) makes fighting with 2 weapons more versatile

I believe I will either add the feat or just allow Power attack to be used (as Argo suggests) with light weapons

Thanks again for the good feed back

Belkregos said:
Thanks for the input,
The advantage of adding something like this is you ca use 2 light weapons,
With Power attack being applicable only to one hand weapons means you cant use it with fighting with 2 weapons unless you incur the -4 to hit penalty for fighting with 2 one handed weapons (unless one is an unarmed attack)

A rule like this (IMO) makes fighting with 2 weapons more versatile

I believe I will either add the feat or just allow Power attack to be used (as Argo suggests) with light weapons

Thanks again for the good feed back

Oh I understand the two weapon damage part but it's still less or equal damage then a two handed weapon and power attack in many instances. But using two one handed weapons in Conan is usually only a -2 penalty unless your a thief or scholar due tot he reduced two weapon fighting penalties. And unarmed strikes can use power attack as well. So the feat really only helps with light weapons. I say if a player wnats it go for it. Even two arming swords with this feat is equal to a greatsword with power attack if both arming swords hit and you have improved two weapon figthing.

At best PA with dual-wielded light weapons does the same damage per round as PA with a two handed weapon (1x dmg from 2 weapons vs 2x dmg from one weapon).

However that misses the important point that by spreading up the damage over multiple hits you ruin your chance to do massive damage. Likewise two-handed weapons have higher base AP than light weapon (many of which have AP 0 and so can never penetrate armor no matter what) and that is another advantage to the two-handed weapon.

OTOH light weapons can be finessed and there are the in-game advantages that light weapons are probably easier to find, conceal and explain in-game than big two handed weapons.

Note that this analysis doesn't account for the advantages and disadvantages of making more attack rolls vs fewer attack rolls.

So I think my house rule is balanced, it certainly doesn't make light weapons too powerful.

Later.

Sutek said:
I'd almost say that it should be something more like an effect after a successful hit is scored. Attacker uses a full round action to brutally shove the blade further into his foe dealing extra damage somehow. I think the idea of a lesser power attack is cool, but I think it's unnecessary.

How about this:

Drive it Deep [Fighter, General]
Prerequisites: BAB +1, Power Attack

In the round after a successful damaging strike, the warrior attempts to drive his blade even deeper into his foe with a brutal thrust. As a Full Rund Action, start a Grapple attempt as normal, but without needing to roll to hit the target. Winning the Grapple Check allows the attacker to inflict maximum damage on his foe, including Strength bonus, but not any additional increased bonus for using two hands.

A successful Attack of Opportunity will negate the additional damage effect.

Having Improved Unarmed Strike will negate the opponent's Attack or Opportunity as does Pinning.

Too powerful?
Mighty Blow use of a FP (AE p66), except that you're opting to have a feat do the same as the FP ability w/o chance of breaking your weapon.

Now, any time you use a single-handed weapon with 2 hands, you add 1.5 times your STR bonus to damage, unless I'm mistaken... right? Rules seem to have a comparable fix already. I mean, if you wanna make another feat nobody's stopping you - it's your game after all, I'm just pointing out standard rules options I don't know if anyone forgot. :eek:

The descriptive name of this feat, and it overall effect seem too similar to the "To The Hilt" combat manoeuvre to warrant a specific feat which has a similar feel.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of last night, sorry, I couldn't remember where it was and put in Mighty Blow instead. Too distracted with the looming transit strike leaving us w/o a way to get to work.... thanks for posting that!

Back