Dragonfire Produces Traveler Space Ships

Dragonfire said:
Finally, I am starting to work on the mercenary ship now. If I can get everything to work out right, I am hoping (crossing fingers) that I can get it to be three dimensional so that you can have the layers above and below each other. No promises, but I will try, and then get you guys the photos.

Lucas

Do you mean the 800 Ton Mercenary Cruiser? That will have to be huge.

Lysander said:
Any chance you folks will be a Pentacon (in Fort Wayne, IN) or have someone carrying the product at Pentacon?

Yes we will have a booth at Pentacon. I will make sure that David has the two ships there.

I will unfortunately not be able to be there.

Lucas

Originally i thought eh over priced at the start of the thread but looking if I could afford the conversion rate (damned devaluing Australian currancy) I'd likely buy the Modified Scout as soon as it was out.. seems my players run that often..

I don't know if it's been suggested but have you considered making 'tiles' based on generic ship plans.. that way you could sell the objects and let the Ref/GM/etc etc build the ship design they are after..

eg:
A pack of 4 x Staterooms each being #x# sqaures wide with generic features on them.
diffrent types of bridges from small craft bridges to large capital ship bridges, each one being sold seperatly.
various engineering titles small ones sold in packs, large ones seperate
etc..

The idea here being to allow them to be used for MORE then one ship.. I know that if I could get multipul uses out of something I tend to buy it more readily rather then something that I can only generally use for X design etc..

I guess it's one of the selling points on the D&D miniture tiles for those who use/play that game, the tiles can be rearranged to make as many maps as you can imagin...

Eitherway these definantly look really really good... almost tempted to send an email and find out how much a 1m x 50cm board with just 1inch squares on it would cost heh.. least my damned cats couldn't rip that to shreads ;)

I just received these today. Id ordered them about a week and a half ago (Dragonfire is pretty fast!). They are awesooooome!

Ive got a lot of 25 mm figs (in fact, my room mate and I make 25 mm paper figs professionally), and these ships are going to be key for my upcoming Traveller campaign :D

I do wonder how much a custom job would run, tho. A set for the Florian (designed by Scarecrow, I believe) would be an incredible thing to have!

Here is my only comment. I drove two hours to the Pentacon Gaming Convention in Fort Wayne, Indiana based on the posted comments from the manufacturer.

I was told that the Traveller deck plans would be there (per his/her post to me on this forum). I went there soley based upon those comments. I spent $25.00 US round trip for gas. I spent $15.00 US at the door to get in.

Upon arrival, the vendor was nowhere to be found. After waiting for over an hour the booth, was FINALLY manned. I politely asked the gentleman where his Traveller deck plans might be found.

He told me that they did not bring them to the convention and that they were produced AS NEEDED. BTW, this is contrary to what has been posted as regards the pricing (they were printed in bulk as I understood...).

I was ready (had the cash in hand) to buy both the 25 and 15mm versions of each ship At that point I left the convention after having spent spent some $40.00 US.

Admitedly, I recognize that the price is, to say the least, excessive but I was ready to buy and had the cash in hand. I spent 5 hours and $40.00 to get the opportunity to buy the product.

At this point, I question everything said by the vendor including the reason behind pricing (bulk versus "as needed").

Looks like laminated deck plans for me at this stage. Be wary of these guys.

Lysander;
I am sorry that we failed to live up to expectations at Pentacon. I have looked into the issue and found that we were really busy in the week before, and printing the extra ships did not make it to the top of the queue.
That being said, we would not have had the 15mm ships anyways, because although they were asked for in the beginning of the thread, they have not been ordered yet.
If you are still interested in the ships, I would be happy to ship them to you at no charge.

Sincerely
Lucas Amodio
Dragonfire Laser Crafts

Lysander said:
He told me that they did not bring them to the convention and that they were produced AS NEEDED. BTW, this is contrary to what has been posted as regards the pricing (they were printed in bulk as I understood...).

Earlier post in the thread:
Dragonfire said:
I think one of the issues is that of perception.
GW and many other companies mass produce their products. They run off a couple of thousand and then sell them. Where as we make them when we get an order. So every piece is crafted when the customer asks for it. This way we don't have a lot of inventory piling up in a warehouse, and we can make the changes to the design on the fly. Like removing the labels or making at 15mm design.
It is just a different way of doing things. As companies are moving more and more to print on demand setups, I figured this was a good way to do production. It means higher overall prices, but lower risk.

Lucas Amodio
Dragonfire Laser Crafts

Lysander said:
Here is my only comment. I drove two hours to the Pentacon Gaming Convention in Fort Wayne, Indiana based on the posted comments from the manufacturer.
Admitedly, I recognize that the price is, to say the least, excessive but I was ready to buy and had the cash in hand. I spent 5 hours and $40.00 to get the opportunity to buy the product.
You didn't play a single game or do anything else at the con? Did you shop at/buy anything at any of the other vendor booths?

Lysander said:
At this point, I question everything said by the vendor including the reason behind pricing (bulk versus "as needed").
Bit over the top on the reaction don't you think? Might want to try running a small business without much capital sometime. Tying up several thousand dollars in slow moving inventory is bad business.

Paladin said:
Might want to try running a small business without much capital sometime. Tying up several thousand dollars in slow moving inventory is bad business.

Having been participant in several small business ventures and fully appreciating as well as understanding about slow moving inventory, may I suggest the following as a stopgap measure to possibly avoid future incidents as discussed here ?

Has the idea of having a few regional licensed retailers having examples of your product in their store been discussed ?

I understand all about trying to personally cover various trade-related venues and gatherings but if you sub-contract a few merchants to act as vendors of your product you will save much in time, expense and avoid irretrievable bad point of contact situations.

Finding such vendors might be easily achieved by seeing which larger game shops or distributors attend the circuit of events you wish your product to appear at.

Simply said, the best website in the world cannot allow a potential customer to handle your product or see, in this instance, such being employed with miniature figures to enhance sales.

Best of luck and happy to see concerned parties producing Traveller items of this sort.

Lysander, Im also sorry you had a bad experience. But the Dragonfire rep has offered to ship them to you free (very cool of him), and as someone who has ordered the two Traveller ships from Dragonfire, i can vouch that they are really, really cool, and very well made.

I hope youll reconsider, and sent the Dragonfire rep a private tell about this matter. :)

Input "I just want everyone to be happy. RIGHT NOW!" Jack ;)

I want to apologize for the angry and over the top tone of my last post. I generally try to be measured - even when I am upset. In this case, I was hot.

But I had spent over 5 long hours in a car and a 1 1/2 hours at a convention I had no interest in attending except to see and purchase this product. Basically taking an entire day away from my family. Not to mention the $20 door fee and the cost of gas. Admittedly an excessive amount of time and money just to see and purchase the items but just the more reason I was upset when it was not there - as I understood it was to be.

There was nothing else there of interest or that I couldn't buy or order at my FNGS. I did not come to play any games at the Con. I came for one reason.

I wish you well with the product. I appreciate it when anyone tries to support the game that I have played for over 20 years.

Perhaps, if I see the item at GenCon next year, I may feel differently but for now I am in a holding pattern as to any purchase.

Again, I wish you well and apologize for my harsh comments.

Hmm - another RPG luxury item I'd love to have, but will probably never be able to justify purchasing for myself - mostly because I have them and many others in paper form already.

One's I don't have, that would be smaller, more affordable and I would probably use more (and thus justify buying them) would be ones to represent the "lesser" space ships, like Shuttles, Pinnaces, Modular Cutters, Launches, Gigs, etc.

Other ideas might be more generic parts of ships where combat may take place - bridges, airlocks, engine rooms, etc - pieces that could represent ANY ship. Or possibly token sets that represent common items found on space ships like chairs, consoles, etc, for use with the chessex and other gridded maps that are so commonly used by most role-players.

I like the idea of producing the 50-ton modular cutters as you can make a two-piece front and back section, and then switch out any of several modules in the middle. You might even "key" them so they fit together properly, if needed.

The being said, the cost is the issue brought up most. Looking at the mulit-part far trader, I'd b worried about breaking the puzzle part that fits them together.

I wonder, what would it take to print one of these up on a roll up flexible game mat, similar to what Chessex Mondo mats and such are made of?

In either case, my group prefers the 1"=1 yard hex grid maps for traveller, so for now we're going to be using the Steve Jackson Games deck plan sets.

Chernobyl said:
In either case, my group prefers the 1"=1 yard hex grid maps for traveller, so for now we're going to be using the Steve Jackson Games deck plan sets.

Man, you must have a HUGE kitchen table....

well, the scout is only 3 sheets that overlap quite a bit, so its not too bad. The Far Trader will be another story.

The funny thing is those deckplans, and gurps in general convinced me that 25/8mm figures where too big.

I finally settled on 15mm with 1/100th as the ground scale. Some people will go down to the 1/2inch = 1.5m ala Azanti High Lighting/Snapshot plans. That is a little too small for most current 15mm bases.

I did reduce the SJG's plans down to 20mm hexes and used the cardboard heroes that were provided with the plans (INMHO they where the best part of those plans).

Back