Doing something useful with the SRD

We all know how much of a chore it is to stat out RQ creatures. It strikes me that something of genuine value would be a program that does it for you, and produces the result in a handy printable format. I'd see it working as (1) pick your creature species, (2) pick a challenge rating (puny/weak/average/strong/mighty/exceptional), (3) pick the number of creatures you want stats for, and (4) pick a percentage variation. There would also be an option to include a "leader" who would be stronger than the rest. Then it's click a button and hey presto! Instant RQ creatures.

What I'm wondering is what the licensing implications are. Would one be restricted to the SRD creatures, or could one include the full bestiary?

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
What I'm wondering is what the licensing implications are. Would one be restricted to the SRD creatures, or could one include the full bestiary?

As far as I'm aware, you'd would not be able to use the RQ logo under the terms of the RQ logo licence, as it does not apply to computer software.

Apart from that you could use SRD creatures plus any you make yourself.

You would not be allowed to use creatures from RQ products outside the SRD without permission from Mongoose, under the terms of the licence.

Usually for anything you're doing for free the best thing is to email Mongoose and request permission, often they don't mind what you're doing as long as it's not being charged for. In the case of RQ there's a chance their licence with Issaries doesn't allow them to give permission anyway, but it can't do any harm to ask.

If you're going to be charging for it, then you will almost certainly need to either drop the RQ logo and creatures from outside of the SRD (except ones you've done yourself), or obtain a licence specific to your product.

Email msprange@mongoosepublishing.com, say what you intend to do, and ask if there will be any problems :)

Cheers!

The intention would be to release it for free, with some kind of database format that others could easily plug creature stats into. Probably just a plain text file.

If your going to do a software package like that, I'd include the ability for the user to easily add creatures. To be able to custom build critters, new abilities and the like. Expanding the utility of the program like this would make it more desirable.

DD

Durand Durand said:
If your going to do a software package like that, I'd include the ability for the user to easily add creatures. To be able to custom build critters, new abilities and the like. Expanding the utility of the program like this would make it more desirable.

DD

Yeah, that is a good idea. It also allows people with RQ products to plug in those creatures that can't be included due to the RQ licence.

Having it also do a random drop for treasure based on the Treasure Factor of critters (as per RQ2 or the Companion if it has it) that your creating would be useful too. Sort of like an automated version of the Plunder book.

Arkat said:
Having it also do a random drop for treasure based on the Treasure Factor of critters (as per RQ2 or the Companion if it has it) that your creating would be useful too. Sort of like an automated version of the Plunder book.

That's exactly the idea!

Like the old RQ2 statbooks as well, the Scorpionmen thing. I hadn't thought of treasure, but it's a nice idea too. Although I prefer having a bit of personal control over that one myself...

I'd shy away from the RQ2 treasure tables (lovely though they are) as they are still under copyright, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't treasure in the companion SRD.

Dropping in own creatures is an absolute must. I'm thinking 2 database columns for each characteristic: NumberOfD6 and Add, so that's straightforward. Then a number of preferred weapons with base stats for them, an index to creature traits and also a list of significant skills. Armour and weapons will be done according to typical examples of the species, with maybe a bit of variation for the creature toughness/challenge rating. I'm also thinking of leaving magic to be done by hand as that's one area that it's easy for the GM to fine-tune.

This will very probably be a Microsoft .NET application, as that's where most of my programming experience is. The "database" will be XML files loaded into memory at startup, and rewritten back to disk at shut down, so they can be manually hacked (not recommended) or extended within the program itself. I intend to use this to do the initial population of creatures from the SRD.

Regarding the challenge rating/toughness, I wasn't clear above but I'm seeing that as being relative to a typical example of the species, rather than on an absolute scale. So a "Puny" creature would have mostly 1s or 2s (and maybe the odd 3) for their characteristic rolls, and no extra skill points at all. I'm thinking of leaving SIZ as is however, as it's a bit silly that all "puny" specimens are also tiny specimens.

I'll probably generate the printable copies in RTF format, as it's fairly standard and any Windows PC will be able to open/read/edit/etc them in Wordpad.

Anything else people would like to see covered, or any indication of the way people would like to see it working, is very welcome.

Just an update.

I have most of the XML schema done, the main options form done, the basics of the RTF output done, and one creature (using the Centaur for proof of concept) in.

Rather than printing the results directly, I'm giving the option to save (you can of course edit before saving). This is more useful as you can then reuse it any time you want. Also, printing is present in any quarter-way decent word processor so why re-invent the wheel?

Using RTF format means that it's an open standard, so you're not tied into any particular WP app either. It'll even open (and format perfectly) in the free Wordpad that comes with Windows, if push comes to shove.

Using .NET means that - while it's also an open standard - it's really only fully implemented on Windows. :evil: It was either that or face a delay of indeterminable length while I learned to write it and wrote it in a properly portable manner.

Why not just have a window that it spits the results out into and we can cut & paste into the word processor of our choice from there. I have a treasure generator for D&D that does that, makes it handy to do multiple loot bags and just C&P the results.

Arkat said:
Why not just have a window that it spits the results out into and we can cut & paste into the word processor of our choice from there. I have a treasure generator for D&D that does that, makes it handy to do multiple loot bags and just C&P the results.

Have that too. :wink:

Back