Dogfights: Fighters vs. Bigger ships

The problem is Fire Control software works on only on a single weapon system at full rating, whereas capital class warships have far larger number of systems to coordinate which requires the use of advanced fire control software. ( Further, the bandwidth required is too steep to work at scale.)

AnotherDilbert said:
35 Dt fighters with barbettes and dogfighting advantage cuts through any armour...

With that in mind, I designed up a 35 Dt "Devestator Fighter" with a Very High Yield fusion barbette. Guanrenteed 15 points damage. At that tonnage, there's still a lot of extra space, even after I armored it up to 15, with 9Gs, made the cockpit dual and put in a couple of High Survivability Reentry Capsules. And armored bulkheads around most of it it. I'm assuming that "barbettes require two firmpoints" means you actually have to use 5 dT for the barbette, and not treat it like a zero dT fixed mount laser? Does that mean it gets to rotate too? Still have more than 7 tons left, but it costs almost as much as a scout ship.

Geir said:
With that in mind, I designed up a 35 Dt "Devestator Fighter" with a Very High Yield fusion barbette. Guanrenteed 15 points damage. At that tonnage, there's still a lot of extra space, even after I armored it up to 15, with 9Gs, made the cockpit dual and put in a couple of High Survivability Reentry Capsules. And armored bulkheads around most of it it.
Quite, that is what I meant. Keep an eye on the budget, fighters win by swarming their victims, so we need lots of them. And we need carriers to bring the fight to the enemy.

You have three weaknesses: Range of firmpoint fusion, the enemy might have Nuclear Dampers, and how do you get into dogfighting range?

Range of firmpoint fusion: Fusion is a Medium range weapon, that turns into an Adjacent range weapon when mounted on a firmpoint. Long Range upgrade is called for, otherwise laser fighter might engage from Close range, out of your range.

The enemy might have Nuclear Dampers: Negating most (or all) of the damage, and if you have a lot of Fusion fighters, he will have a lot of Dampers... Tachyon or Particle barbettes might be preferable.

How do you get into dogfighting range: Enemy ships might have (probably will have) 9 g too. How do you force your way into dogfighting range? As you noted you have lots of space left open, perfect for a High Burn Thruster, making the fighters much more manoeuvrable than ships so they can close in to dogfighting range.

Geir said:
I'm assuming that "barbettes require two firmpoints" means you actually have to use 5 dT for the barbette, and not treat it like a zero dT fixed mount laser?
Yes, I assume so too. Only turret weapons can be mounted in fixed mounts.

Geir said:
Does that mean it gets to rotate too?
Yes.

I made this a while back:
http://forum.mongoosepublishing.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=119159#p901993
35.5 Dt, 25 g, modular weapon, modular reaction fuel, and possibly drop tanks.
With a modular weapon mount we can retool if the enemy get cute. Or switch to a good sensor. Or... We can even mount Dampers instead of reaction fuel.
It can even be used as a troop transport or boarding craft. Or SAR.
The computer is deliberately small to save cost. We have to be able to defeat both ships and swarms of light fighters. Still expensive, though.

baithammer said:
Small craft rules prohibit using range upgrades.
Small craft weapons can't have more than Close range. I see nothing preventing upgrading an Adjacent range weapon to Close range (or rather from Medium to Long, reduced to Close).

baithammer said:
( Further, it can only be applied to lasers and particle beams.)
No, that is Intense Focus. Long Range have no such limitations.

Rules are a little unclear, since it could be first increase the range band, then adjust for smallcraft penalties.

Back