does anyone play with 1/6000 ships?

i was just wondering how small these truly are?
they are definitely the cheapest though at 2 or 3 ships sometimes for under 4 bucs.
i did notice though that it looks like subs are nothing more than flash scrapped off of a bigger mini :lol:

They are seriously tiny: half the size of a 1/3000th miniature. They might be OK for CV's, BB's or (maybe) CA's, but anything much below that is just going to be a little sliver of metal.

Somewhere I have some of the old C-in-C / GDW 1/4800th miniatures from their "North Sea" game: those were pretty dinky, and 1/6000th would be smaller yet by roughtly a third, so.....

I would stick with a scale between 1/3000 - 1/1200, as they are common and ideal. Make sure to discuss it with the other players in your area. You wouldn't want mixed scale...

OH, and if you are really serious and hardcore about it, and don't mind the mis-scaled ruleset, and have a few bucks to spend... play in a scale between 1/900 and 1/300 :twisted:

chaos0xomega said:
... play in a scale between 1/900 and 1/300 :twisted:

Back before the models became worth their weight in gold, I played in a couple "Coastal Forces" games using the old Fujimi 1/700th plastic model kits of MTB's, PT's, E-boats, DD's and CL's. It was an absolutely beautiful game to see: some of those kits are just works of art, and you can get aftermarket brass-etched kits for railings and radar aerials and such to really trick them out.

At one point they made US, Japanese, British and German kits up through BBs and CVs. I still have a few in boxes, but not enough to build a fleet. If you can find them at all the kits are very pricey now (as are most plastic model kits anymore, alas) but they would make for a very pretty VaS game indeed, though you'd be back to needing a fair amount of floor space to play it on.

Ah, well, we can dream..... :D

I have 1:6000 fleets for the Pacific. When playing and storage space are at a premium this is a good answer. The ships look a lot better than "slivers of metal" or "flash from another mini". They are actually pretty nice (and as mentioned the price is also really nice).

Before you knock them, buy a pack or two. At the price of less than a GHQ capital ship it lets you see before you make a decision. If you don't like them send them my way (or sell 'em on Ebay.)

Jake

I also play ACTA with Fleet scale minis.

Yes i use 1:6000 due to space . I only have room for a 6x4 board so the 1:3000 scale are a bit big really when there are several ships on the table

Magister Militum do a range of Figurehead 1:6000 ships and they are very nice.

They do virtually every ship I think and even some of the what if's like the Zplan fleet, Lion class etc, Montanas, and so on.

CptJake said:
I have 1:6000 fleets for the Pacific. When playing and storage space are at a premium this is a good answer. The ships look a lot better than "slivers of metal" or "flash from another mini". They are actually pretty nice (and as mentioned the price is also really nice).

Before you knock them, buy a pack or two. At the price of less than a GHQ capital ship it lets you see before you make a decision. If you don't like them send them my way (or sell 'em on Ebay.)

I can only agree here. They are a valid scale.
For me it is actually 1/2400 OR 1/6000.
And they do not look that bad or...
http://www.agisn.de/html/scales.html

1/6000 also gives you a better feel of the ranges involved!
36" range for a gun look sudenly huge on the table!

Me and my friends use 1:6000, I like them for the less cramped board. Here is a website that shows you most of the figures of the Figurehead range.

http://strangecargogames.com/index.php?cPath=301_26_593_623

Its not bad. I've used anything from 1/600 to 1/3000 for moderns (1/1200 is a popular scale). One reason why the bigger models work well is because, for games featuring weapons that have ranges of well over 50 miles (and, i the games we've been playing recently, several thousand miles) its better to conduct movement on a campaign map, transferring to the tabletop to fight out individual missile and air engagements, or close quarter surface to surface combat.

Mind you, I've also played modern naval games on enormous tables (where we've had to climb on the tables to move task groups away from the edges).

I use the 1/600 aicraft from tumbling dice, and they are cool. I'll post some pics, when they are painted. Essentially I am using 1 model/stand to represent a flight. The models are large enough to be recognised, and also easier to paint. Also, there is a better range of models available in that scale.

just my opinion mind you :)

Back