Dodging

Stumondo

Mongoose
One of my players has brought this up.

Under Dodging, Pg 72 CRB, dodging inflicts a negative DM equal to DEX DM or Athletic (dexterity), whichever is higher. To me this implies that it's the higher flat number.

He pointed out that the skills athletics allows you to add it's rating to your Dex. So if he had Dex +2 and Athletics 1, his dodge is 3 not 2. After reading more, I'm leaning to agreeing with him, partly due to the sheer lethality of the game, especially when it comes to destructive weapons.

Are there any rulings or thoughts on this? My only worry is reaching game breaking dodge numbers.

Thanks

When the rules say Skill (such as Athletic (dexterity)) they generally mean effective skill, the task DM. At least that was indicated during the beta when similar questions arose.

So in this case, Athletic (dexterity) means the raw skill plus the DEX DM = 1 + 2 = 3.

To add something

He pointed out that the skills athletics allows you to add it's rating to your Dex.

Use this with caution. It means when a Characteristic check is called, so it will not apply to any other skill used with Dex (i.e. you don't add athletics to your gun combat)

Stumondo said:
DM equal to DEX DM or Athletic (dexterity), whichever is higher.
Simple. Use the value that is higher. Your Traveller's DEX DM, or your Traveller's Athletic (dexterity) skill. The number gets subtracted from the attacker's die roll. Remember... Your Traveller is not doing a Task Check. Your Traveller is Dodging. And tell your player to stop cheating.

Back