do prestige classes count as favourite classes?

Philip_fry

Mongoose
Hello,

according to the core rules a PC gains bonus feats for advancing in a favoured class every five levels he advances in that class. The prestige classes (e.g. the Assassin in Shadizar) came up after the release of the main book, therefore aren´t mentioned in the race description. Except for Aquilonians this would imply that with gaining a level in a prestige class you forfeit the possible boni.

Since the bonus feat is a rather valuable thing I would say that this favours the Aquilonian race even more in the respect of versatility, especially regarding future product releases with new classes and feats. And in the case of the assassin this development doesn´t bear in mind that this class is rather related to the thief or even the pirate and therefore should be favoured class for those races which privilege these classes.

What´s your opinion?

Regards Marcel

I'd say, they count as favourite classes: IIRC in SoS the PrC have a chapter that says something about this.

VincentDarlage said:
Prestige classes are favoured for all races.

That sounds a little broad - e.g., if the PC selects an underlying class which is not favored for the charater's race, but then goes into a prestige class, then those levels are favored and provide the feat bonus?

slaughterj said:
VincentDarlage said:
That sounds a little broad - e.g., if the PC selects an underlying class which is not favored for the charater's race, but then goes into a prestige class, then those levels are favored and provide the feat bonus?
Well, sounds like this: if you suffer through the various levels in the underlying class, you're losing the potential benefits from NOT having the core class, but then you finally make it by qualifying for the Prestige Class, so at that moment you've excelled and get any benefits from that level henceforth. Like suffering through apprenticeships until you finally become a journeyman-blacksmith, carpenter, etc. You're learning, and until you pass you stand as a second, but once you pass you're accepted. A blacksmith isn't a painter by default, he's strictly a blacksmith-BUT he gets the benefits of surviving to wield his own mallet and tongs. Eh?

slaughterj said:

I am ok with that. In looking at the philosophy behind prestige classes (and I am basing a lot of my opinion off of Monte Cooke's), they are supposed to represent a societal and cultural aspect of the world that provide a unique flavor based on what the prestige class represents.

When someone joins a prestige class, that societal and cultural connection in many ways supersedes their racial roots, in which case it makes sense for it to count as a favored class for purposes of bonus feats.

With that in mind, I can't think of any prestige classes right now except Merchant Prince, Pointainian Knight, and Gunderland Pikeman. All of them require a specific race to join, so the discussion is moot. Do you have a specific combination that you do not feel fits well?

Hyborian Apeman said:
With that in mind, I can't think of any prestige classes right now except Merchant Prince, Pointainian Knight, and Gunderland Pikeman. All of them require a specific race to join, so the discussion is moot. Do you have a specific combination that you do not feel fits well?

Nah, just thinking generally. I'm not much of a fan of prestige classes anyway from D&D 3.0 experience, so I don't much look at them otherwise (not that that affects my judgment on this issue, which is different) - I'd rather spend my time looking over world info to run a better game.

VincentDarlage said:
Thanks for the clarification. Since my D&D knowledge isn´t rock steady I wasn´t sure how to handle prestige classes in the aspect of favourite classes.

BTW. I really appreciate the time and effort you invest into the community. Thanks.

Regards
Marcel

slaughterj said:
I'm not much of a fan of prestige classes anyway from D&D 3.0 experience, so I don't much look at them otherwise (not that that affects my judgment on this issue, which is different) - I'd rather spend my time looking over world info to run a better game.

I think it is unfortunate that prestige classes in D&D were turned into the crunchy power gamers fix that they were. The original intention of prestige classes has definitely been lost for 3.0 and 3.5.

I will say that I have been happy with the Conan treatment of prestige classes though.

Back