Divine Benefits for Runepriests?

I've been toying with an Idea to give Runepriests a bit of a jump on Initiates and would appreciate feedback.

Assuming that POW "dedicated" to rune magic is effectively lost (albeit temporarily), there is nothing to stop the Character improving POW in the meantime. Indeed it is the only logical way for Priests to amass reasonable amounts of Divine magic. As the rules stand any POW subsequently released would be lost if it took the Character's POW over 21.

My proposal is to allow Runepriests to retain those points as sort of "Divine Magic credit" allowing them to re-dedicate it for Divine Spells (still requiring them to go through the whole palaver of acquiring them as if new). This Divne Magic POW would not be added to their POW characteristic and could only be used for acquiring Divine Magic.

Reading this back I suppose I am proposing a way of re-creating resuable Divine Magic from 3rd Ed. Anyway what do people think? Do people think? Is that a trick question? Hmmm, I digress.

I fully agree.

When POW is dedicated to a cult, it should be moved to a Dedicated POW pool, then it is used to gain divine magic. When Divine Magic is used, the Dedicated POW should be freed up to be used again but not added back to POW.

I'm a firm believer that once POW is used, it is used. So, POW in enchantments shouldn't come back, nor should POW in Divine Magic.

If you have a Divine Magic Pool, it makes it as useful as RQ2/3. In fact, since you can chop and change it, Divine Magic becomes more useful than in older versions of RQ.

It is worth thinking about the fact that unlike previous divine magic the Divine magic in MRQ is not fixed once learnt. As the POW is not sacrificed, merely temporarily "Dedicated" having a separate put-aside pool is effectively the same as saying there are no racial maximums for POW.

...which would be a much easier way of putting it.

soltakss said:
I fully agree.

When POW is dedicated to a cult, it should be moved to a Dedicated POW pool, then it is used to gain divine magic. When Divine Magic is used, the Dedicated POW should be freed up to be used again but not added back to POW.

I'm a firm believer that once POW is used, it is used. So, POW in enchantments shouldn't come back, nor should POW in Divine Magic.

If you have a Divine Magic Pool, it makes it as useful as RQ2/3. In fact, since you can chop and change it, Divine Magic becomes more useful than in older versions of RQ.

This sounds like a really good idea. I'll most certainly implement it in my campaign.
:)

SGL.

soltakss said:
POW in enchantments is permamently lost anyway - it can only be recovered by characteristic gain. In effect it's identical to a RQ2 commitment.

I like this idea a lot. Under current systems Divine magicians are heavily penalised, lacking access to MP for Runemagic and magic boosting is pretty crippling.

In one of our RQ3 games we tried a similar thing with a Divine Magic pool, though the game mechanics behind your system seem neater than our old one.

DD

Back