Direct vs. indirect fire

All weapons on a marauder (or chas) become infinite..... so yes, you fire them all. Also, in normal actions they shoot every time (not just once like pack). Only exception being ready weapons, they don't lose the ready trait.

What if the rule for direct fired LZ weapons was changed so that it did require LOS, obviously, but didn't scatter, kept the same LZ and damage dice. Essentially you could avoid terrain with indirect and it scatters, or fire direct and it doesn't. The damage would remain unchanged as would the area of effect. Would seem like a simple change that wouldn't not require much of a rewrite of points values, as each would be useful at certain times.

One thing I've noticed is that with indirect fire of missiles, a nuke can be soaked up by enhanced shield. Since the shield doesn't care if its a hit or a kill, the multihit killshot doesn't come into play, so 3D10=4 equals 6 hits. Congrats, you've just spent 300 points plus missile to drop a psychic shield.

5.56 Surgeon said:
One thing I've noticed is that with indirect fire of missiles, a nuke can be soaked up by enhanced shield. Since the shield doesn't care if its a hit or a kill, the multihit killshot doesn't come into play, so 3D10=4 equals 6 hits. Congrats, you've just spent 300 points plus missile to drop a psychic shield.

True, but one of my best Nuke uses was dropping a shield, and a well placed Exosuit LT finished the brain off in the next turn.

5.56 Surgeon said:

Why doesn't multihit come into play? Shield absorbs the first four hits...so a killshot is two hits a multihit killshot is 4. A target roll is 1 hit etc....
That's the way we play it, nothing I can see in the rules to say that a killshot is just one hit on a shield. After all it states that it 'absorbs hits' not 'absorbs attacks'.
Where does it say that a shield alters the results of a killshot etc...?

Ditto with JoseDominguez.

Though it's disappeared, this was answered by the RuleMasters. A hit is a hit is a hit. A multihit is 2 hits and a killshot is 2 hits. Both, as the case is with a Pee Wee Nuke, would be 4 hits for each success.

So, if you are indirect firing it, it could conceivably do 12 hits total. If a Brain had a Shield up, it would be dead. If it has Enhanced Shield up, it would have 2 hits left.

If you direct fire it, (15 dice) it would only take 4 successes to kill a Brain with Enhanced Shield.

Back