Did Toran Fall In 5050?

Winter Wolf

Mongoose
Does anybody know for sure if Toran actually fell to the darklords in 5050? In flight from the dark there are refugees and the city is on fire but is there any evidence that all resistance was crushed.

Also it says that the city was attacked from both air and sea. Do you think the sea force was the undead fleet of Vontor or a Darkland fleet. There is a certain logic to Vontor leading the attack on Toran. He would know the city intimately and would understand the schemes and defences of the Guild very well. It would make for a superb grudge match. :)

Winter Wolf said:
Does anybody know for sure if Toran actually fell to the darklords in 5050? In flight from the dark there are refugees and the city is on fire but is there any evidence that all resistance was crushed.

Also it says that the city was attacked from both air and sea. Do you think the sea force was the undead fleet of Vontor or a Darkland fleet. There is a certain logic to Vontor leading the attack on Toran. He would know the city intimately and would understand the schemes and defences of the Guild very well. It would make for a superb grudge match. :)

Dunno. I'm not sure there's any description of the extent of the devastation of Toran in the gamebooks (there is in Legends, but I'd really rather not go there... :shock: ).

From context, I remember that Sommerlund - all of it, apparently - was 'overrun' by the Darklords, and the only city still in active defiance is Holmgard, which is within hours of falling at the end of Book 2. To me, this means that Toran was not actively fighting the Darklords, except perhaps in a 'partisan' way. So for all intents and purposes, I'd say it'd fallen. It does not appear to have been leveled - as according to the beginning of Book 3, there is reference to 'one year after the invasion, few scars of war remain.' It would be difficult to rebuild a largely destroyed city in that time frame.

I'm not sure about who would have lead the invasion of Toran. Other than Legends (again), there's really no indepth discussion of Vonotar, other than the fact that he was a "Brother" who joined the Darklords. So, it's not even clear if he were actually a full Wizard, much less an Elder.

While it seems logical that he could have spearheaded the attack, I suspect that - in the context of the gamebooks - this is unlikely, for two reasons:

1. While he does lead the Deathhulk fleet in Book 2, this appears to be more due to his command of Magic, as opposed to overt military skill. His loss from the battle destroys the fleet as he is no longer in a position to maintain the spell binding the Undead fleet.

2. He is a traitor. Even though he sold out Sommerlund to gain Right Handed Magic, it is probable that Zagarna would not trust him to lead a significant portion of his armed forces (after all, who's to say Vonotar wouldn't also betray Zagarna? :shock: ) John Grant's book aside, again, I just don't see it happening. :wink:

Just my speculations..

Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess Toran wasn't raised because the Darklords were moving so fast, trying to drive the Sommelending into the sea, or Holmguard so they could wipe then off of the face of Magnamund.

Can't wait for the minis it would be great to play out some of these campains.

...oh yeah, I think I'd like to modify one of my statements...

it is reasonable to assume Vonotar was at least a Wizard - perhaps higher - as Banedon does tell Lone Wolf in Book 1 that Vonotar killed one of the elders...IIRC.

I think the vonotar would be best represented by brotherhood wizard 12/dark cultist 5. He also had knowledge of a fire spell, which he castat lonewolf in book 2.

I just checked, it's orange. The colours described in the "Darklands" for Vilefire are different.
Lightning hand is often described as a bolt of flame in the gamebooks, but it's usually blue-white, if i'm not wrong. Perhaps Vonotar used a variant improved with his right-handed magic.

Back