Demonic Pact

Not at all. What I'm describing is an environment where both players think they are playing their characters reasonably and within their assumed personas. There is no distrust. the sorcerer wasn't killed because the other player thought 'oh gods, he's going to kill my pc' he was killed because the other player thought 'my pc must kill him to stay in character - he's warned him etc etc'.

The shock was caused by the killing. Because the sorcerer's player did trust the other player. A lack of communication caused the problem not player mistrust.

Had it been player mistrust I doubt the shock would have been as severe and in fact the situation might well not have arisen because it would ikely have been broached before hand.

Demetrio said:
Not at all. What I'm describing is an environment where both players think they are playing their characters reasonably and within their assumed personas. There is no distrust. the sorcerer wasn't killed because the other player thought 'oh gods, he's going to kill my pc' he was killed because the other player thought 'my pc must kill him to stay in character - he's warned him etc etc'.

The shock was caused by the killing. Because the sorcerer's player did trust the other player. A lack of communication caused the problem not player mistrust.

Had it been player mistrust I doubt the shock would have been as severe and in fact the situation might well not have arisen because it would ikely have been broached before hand.

Let me clarify, the lack of trust seems to be most evident on the part of the player not playing the sorcerer.
Okay, I think I see where we are miscommunicating. I said the first responsibility is to make sure everyone else has fun. I did not say that the first responsibility is to stay "in character".

Back