Del Rey REH Conan books amazing

Tim Mercado

Mongoose
Thank god for Amazon.com.

Finally, something worthwhile to read! Just got my shipment of Conan reading material in: the coming of Conan the Cimmerian and the bloody crown of Conan. Tons of great stuff in these two (large!!!) volumes...

Classic tales of our favorite barbarian such as tower of the elephant, queen of the black coast, the people of the black circle, and the scarlet citidel. Also, a bunch of untitled stuff, finished and unfinished. And an awesome section in the first book (the coming of Conan the Cimmerian) called "the Hyborian Age"....lots of good background info there....

If you guys haven't picked these up yet, they are well worth the read....I just got 'em and have made it through 4 stories so far and have a WAYS to go...these things are the perfect holdover until i recieve my RPG shipment. Damn overseas shipping!!! heh.

Just figured I'd share....been awhile since I've been able to post anyways. Happy gaming everyone. Tim.

There's a third volume due out late this fall.

The Conquering Sword of Conan

Written by Robert E. Howard
Fiction - Fantasy; Fiction - Action; Fiction | Trade Paperback, 384 pages | November 2005 | $15.95 | 0-345-46153-3

Hey Tim, you should also check out "The savage tales of Soloman Kane" from that collection. I didn't think I'd be a Kane fan, but the book is awsome, I highly recommend it if your a big REH fan.

SS

I need to second the Solomon Kane book. Just as much action and adventure as Conan. The primary difference is in the character. Most of the time the Conan stories are dealing the Conan's reactions to events that he's either caught up in, or forced apon him.
Kane is a character who wakes up in the morning and sets out to look for adventure! He truely belives that God puts him into position to fight against the injustice and evil that populates the world.

Well worth the price! :D

It's the best. Required reading for all GMs who want to get the feel of REH's world. The scrapped first draft of "The Phoenix on the Sword" also shows a little different Conan than the final draft. In it, he appears more as a alcoholic manic-depressive secretly convinved that 'the universe was a meaningless game played by blind and idoitic gods' [or something like that] 8)

Raven, who's actually agreeing with the majority?

Hi,
Thank God for Book Shops too.
I own one and have the books in stock.
Support your local shops/businesses.

Regards Allan
Enchanted Worlds

Enchanted Worlds is in Darwin Australia.

I dont have my web site up at the moment as I have just moved my business and we are sorting out phone lines and consolidating the communication side of the business. Plus I am trying to convince my wife to redo the site. Iam living the dream, books and roleplaying.

Thanks for the interest

Regards Allan

Allan said:
Hi,
Thank God for Book Shops too.
I own one and have the books in stock.
Support your local shops/businesses.

Regards Allan
Enchanted Worlds

Absolutely! I love local bookstores...there just aren't any where I am at this time. I am however glad that I can still order the stuff overseas. But you KNOW that I'll be supporting my locals when I get back. And I read your post about your website....If you get one up I'd love to see it too!

Happy gaming everyone...and have fun with your store Allan! What a cool job. Tim

Diabolus said:
There's a third volume due out late this fall.

The Conquering Sword of Conan

Written by Robert E. Howard
Fiction - Fantasy; Fiction - Action; Fiction | Trade Paperback, 384 pages | November 2005 | $15.95 | 0-345-46153-3

Any idea what is going to be in that volume? Is it possible that a draft of Wolves Beyond the Border?

Interesting note

I saw that the Science Fiction Book Club had offered REH's companion volume for Solumon Kane. Someone bought it, read it and wrote in that it was too sexist (good gals being dumb, silly things that needed to be saved and bad gals being cruel, vindictive, sexually deviant...) I haven't read the book myself, but I have read Conan and there is definately "1920's" morality written within. If you read something written outside your era, you should understand that sometimes you get those social mores extrapolated into the stories. IE - deal with it, or don't read. Complaining to SFBC about it being inappropriate is laughable. For the record, SFBC did state it was for mature readers.

BTW - I think the REH books are extremely well done by Del Rey...

I agree that Del Ray did a good job. I am not even going to breathe fire over REH's depiction of women. Let's face it, in 1920 Cross Plains, Texas there weren't likely a lot of role models other than 'girlfriends, wives, hookers and mothers' as one writer put it. No is capable of transending their experience.

I disagree with the idea that the depiction of women as only victims or evil man haters is era specific though. Considering the heavy BDS&M flavour in fantasy/sci-fi these days those two stereotypes [submssive or dominatrix] are alive and well. Sort of shame though that these ideas haven't been transended yet- running into real women can be a bit disorientating to boys who only grew up with depictions of these adolscent fantasies. 8)

Raven

If the person didn't like the way women were treated in the Solomon Kane stories, they need to read the following;
Queen of the Black Coast
Red Nails
The Black Colossus

And all of stories in, The Swordwoman collection.
Each depicts a strong willed, at times deadly, woman, who either will not submit to anothers control. Or, doers so by her own choice.

Mythos said:
If the person didn't like the way women were treated in the Solomon Kane stories, they need to read the following;
Queen of the Black Coast
Red Nails
The Black Colossus

And all of stories in, The Swordwoman collection.
Each depicts a strong willed, at times deadly, woman, who either will not submit to anothers control. Or, doers so by her own choice.

You forgot to mention The Shadow of the Vulture and The Isle of the Pirate's Doom. Red Sonya of Rogatino and Helen Tavrel have the same qualities of the ones you mentioned above.

Back