Defence

A

Anonymous

Hey all,

Just trying to understand some of the rules here.

Defence is calculated as:

10+ Parry or Dodge Bonus.

Dodge Bonus = Reflex Save from class + Dex modifier + dodge modifer from class?

Parry Bonus = Str modifier + parry modifier from class?

I know I am not getting this straight.

thanks

Defence Value = 10 + size modifier + either Parry Bonus or Dodge Bonus

Defence Value when Dodging = 10 + size modifier + Dodge Bonus from class + dex modifier + any feats or abilities which grant a dodge bonus

Defence Value when Parrying = 10 + size modifier + Parry Bonus from class + str modifier + any feats or abilities which grant a parry bonus

My 1st level Soldier with Str 16, Dex 14 and the Dodge Feat would compute his DV this way (following the calcs above exactly):

Dodge = 10 + 0 + 0 + 2 + 1 = 13
Parry = 10 + 0 + 1 + 3 + 0 = 14

Got it?

Now, shields provide a bonus to Parry vs melee attacks and a bonus to Dodge vs Ranged attacks. If the same soldier had a buckler (+2 shield bonus) his Parry would be 16 vs melee attacks and his dodge would be 15 vs ranged attacks.

Hope this helps . . .

Mayhem said:
Are their not also modifiers depending on how much free space you have?

There is -2 DV penalty to Dodge if you do not have a free or friendly 5 ft. square adjacent to you.

Say Bhil, correct me if I'm wrong but your 1st level soldier can't have the dodge (or parry) feat because the prereq is base dodge bonus +1, 13 Dex. (with parry prereq being a base parry bonus +1) Since no class starts off with a dodge or parry bonus neither feat is available to characters of first level.

But good illustration on how the numbers come up regardless.

Murte said:
Say Bhil, correct me if I'm wrong but your 1st level soldier can't have the dodge (or parry) feat because the prereq is base dodge bonus +1, 13 Dex. (with parry prereq being a base parry bonus +1) Since no class starts off with a dodge or parry bonus neither feat is available to characters of first level.

You're right. No first level character can have the Dodge or Parry feats.

You're right -- I was using the Playtest packs to build the character. Pack 6 has most classes starting with a +1 in either Parry or Dodge.

This means the NPC Sheets will be wrong also!

I know it doesn't say this in the rules, but can a character using a Finesse weapon use his DEX bonus in place of STR bonus for Parry Defense. It makes sense to me.

Can one parry against a weapon if they only have bare hands (no weapon, shield, or other improvised weapon/blocking device)?

Shonuff said:
Can one parry against a weapon if they only have bare hands (no weapon, shield, or other improvised weapon/blocking device)?

Likewise, I'm wondering if you can parry a ranged attack? Since shields add to dodge (not parry) vs ranged attacks, I'd guess not - it must be easier to ward off arrows with a shield than a sword!

I don't like the way helmets add to DR - a helmet doesn't make your breastplate thicker - so I'm thinking of having it add to the Shield bonus instead. I had thought of adding it to all Defense bonuses except from piercing melee weapons, but just Shield bonus keeps it simpler and makes sense to me - if you duck (Dodge) behind a shield, only your helmeted head is likely to be exposed, while parrying is easier if it's harder for the foe to strike your armoured noggin.

S'mon said:
Likewise, I'm wondering if you can parry a ranged attack? Since shields add to dodge (not parry) vs ranged attacks, I'd guess not - it must be easier to ward off arrows with a shield than a sword!
Right, you can not parry ranged weapon attacks.
S'mon said:
I don't like the way helmets add to DR - a helmet doesn't make your breastplate thicker - so I'm thinking of having it add to the Shield bonus instead. I had thought of adding it to all Defense bonuses except from piercing melee weapons, but just Shield bonus keeps it simpler and makes sense to me - if you duck (Dodge) behind a shield, only your helmeted head is likely to be exposed, while parrying is easier if it's harder for the foe to strike your armoured noggin.

Someone posted a house rule that you double the bonus and apply it as a "critical-only" defense bonus. That is if someone scores a threat against you character and he has headgear, the roll to see if the threat is actually a crit is against a higher number (due to the "crit DV" bonus of the headgear.)

BTW, here is the Original Post.

Back