defence rating in Slaine

Eben

Mongoose
I was reading throug my Slaine book yesterday and I thought that the game might benefit from defence ratings. I also noticed this is being used in Cybernet.

Defence rating would be especially appropriate in a setting where ther is very little in the way of armour. I think I might use them as a house rule when we get around to playing the game.

Was this ever considered/tested during the design proces? And if the answer is yes: is there a reason why they have been left out?

We did consider it, but Slaine's fighting style seemed to be more about taking the hits, gritting his teeth and continuing scrapping, rather than doing too much ducking and weaving (other than the Salmon Leap). So we gave everyone lots of hit points instead. Door of Battle and Expertise/Combat Expertise also help.

When you put it like that ... I was also thinking about survivability at low levels. Good to hear it was considered. I think I'll hold off experimenting with it.

Cheers,

Peter

Been thinking about this a bit more. Actually one of the strengths of Celtic warfare was its flexibility. Why do you think those guys went into battle naked? Why do they feel that armour is to encumbering? Because they like to fight with agility and speed.

Of course, during a warp spasm, the opposite is true. Maybe I'll add a DR for everybody that's not in a warp spasm?

I think there does have to be encouragement for people to do the little armour and much frothing but I'm wondering if DR is the solution especially when thinking about things like the Gaesetae prestige class AC bonus and so forth. This kind of defensive skill is not easily gained.

There is provision in the rules for fighting defensively, feats allow you to increase this further and if you're really not wanting to be hit then wear armour and be known as the big jessie you are. I think a canny DM has every perogative to use the tactics available to the players...

The options are there.

However, I think more can be made of the advantages that the Celts thought fighting undressed offered them as well as making Earth Power more accessible to people without sorcery. Whether this should be AC bonuses or some other animal is open to discussion...

The problem with defense ratings is that it is too difficult for low level characters to hit high level characters.
IMO there should always be a chance for a group of little guys to take out a big guy, even if many of them die in the process.

Then there are the feats: Door of Battle, improved Door of Battle, dodge, improved dodge etc. With these as well, you character with a shield could have an AC in the 20s.

Considering the lack of healing in Slaine, I have been considering making armour less defensive and adding damage reduction. That would also make for some cool taunts.

Eben said:
I was reading throug my Slaine book yesterday and I thought that the game might benefit from defence ratings. I also noticed this is being used in Cybernet.

Defence rating would be especially appropriate in a setting where ther is very little in the way of armour. I think I might use them as a house rule when we get around to playing the game.

Was this ever considered/tested during the design proces? And if the answer is yes: is there a reason why they have been left out?

Back