Deepnight Revelation question

Valkrist

Mongoose
Thanks in advance,

Am I missing something? I was reading through DNR, and in several places, it implies that the ship will travel faster (over time) than I think it should be able to.

There are various times when it talks about Revelation being able to cover 10 parsecs in a month, and in once place it talks about doing 11-12.

The thing is, Revelation shouldn't be capable of more than 8 parsecs in a month.

Consider: It has Jump-4. So it jumps 4 parsecs, taking a week (I'm not going to mess with the random +/- a few hours stuff here). Then, they have to refuel. Unless there's a handy-dandy station nearby, that means either using a gas giant or water, and in either case, requires the use of the fuel refiner on board, which can refine 4000 tons per day. The fuel tank is just under 28,000 tons, which means seven days of refining fuel. So the ship is making an EQUIVALENT speed of 2 parsecs per week (4 every two weeks). Times 4 weeks in a month is a maximum of 8 parsecs, and that's if EVERYTHING goes right: the ship emerges within a couple hours of a good refueling spot, there's no trouble, etc.

What math am I missing that will allow Revelation to travel faster than that?

Military ships are built to use unrefined fuel. You just need to increase the maintenance cycle, and they have the crew to scrub the fuel tanks during a jump. Or shut down one part of the power plant and scrub the intakes while powering just basic levels while in jump space. No need for screens, weapons M-Drive or scanners.

Military ships are built to use unrefined fuel. You just need to increase the maintenance cycle, and they have the crew to scrub the fuel tanks during a jump. Or shut down one part of the power plant and scrub the intakes while powering just basic levels while in jump space. No need for screens, weapons M-Drive or scanners.
Then why have a fuel processor at all?

Which is a good question.

Military ships having rugged drives that could use unrefined fuel was a feature of the original LBB:2 design system - all the referee had to do was declare a drive military rated and as if by magic it is (there was not cost in credits or tonnage).

The above rule was replaced by the drives and purification plant paradigm of LBB:5 - now the military ships could use unrefined fuel by refining it :)

You can't have it both ways, you either have rugged drives or you have a purification plant.

Which is a good question.

Military ships having rugged drives that could use unrefined fuel was a feature of the original LBB:2 design system - all the referee had to do was declare a drive military rated and as if by magic it is (there was not cost in credits or tonnage).

The above rule was replaced by the drives and purification plant paradigm of LBB:5 - now the military ships could use unrefined fuel by refining it :)

You can't have it both ways, you either have rugged drives or you have a purification plant.
I have to agree. During the Kickstarter I pushed for giving the ship enough purifiers to refine the fuel in 1 day (which is a lot!). I could see a military ship getting away with unrefined fuel for a 4-6 month patrol cruise, but for an expedition where you need to self-maintain everything for decades, I don't think that's a viable options.

It also makes for crew strain, spending so much of the time confined in jump space: 70% of the time if jumping 3 times a month (every ten days), and spending most of the rest of the time diving at, in, and out of a gas giant. I solo ran DNR from Tobia to Denman in 665 days (and as a result, you got the Spinward Extents book, because as soon as I passed into The Beyond, I said: WTF, where are all the gas giants? (among other complaints)). That was 65 jumps so, yeah, possible, but I also used the Traveller Companion's 160 hour base jump time rather than 168, so that saves a whole day every month.

Thanks for the replies.

What I'm getting is that my math IS correct, and I have to just hand-wave stuff to get the timeline to work out (whether that means using magical "Military Engines" or just pretending that Revelation has 7x as much fuel processing power as it actually has).

The timeline is not at all precise. The Travellers have lots of opportunity to speed things up, or slow them down, along the way. The journey takes as long as it takes.

Back