Deepnight Revelation - GMs Thread

JTAS Volume #7 is now available and it has my article on alternate character creation ideas for a Deepnight Revelation campaign. The gist is to split character creation into two parts and run the into adventure in the middle. There's a bunch of other ideas to help take Travellers from any starting point and have them end up suitable for the roles they want on the ship.

You can pick it up here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/journal-of-the-travellers-aid-society-volume-8

Sorry to toot my own horn, but I wanted to make sure this thread has pointers to all of the available DNR content. There's at least one more DNR article, from a different author, coming later. I'll be sure to post when it is available.

Thanks!

Putting a note here for future GMs. JTAS #12 has an article on the Erline home system (by Tim Scharnweber) which may be helpful when running Near Side of Yonder. I thought it was some interesting background information, even if your players don't seek it out.

Has anyone determined what compensation the crew is supposed to be offered for going on a 20+ year mission with a high level of danger, and a substantial possibility of not returning?

I understand that on a meta-level it may not matter to the players because if they’re playing the campaign they’ve already bought in. It doesn’t seem reasonable for the characters to do so at basic rates. I’ve seen it mention that some characters may want to emphasize exploration to increase their bonus, but what bonus is this? Have I skipped over some important information in this regard? To further clarify, my group will be returning to Imperial space after Terminus, and we won’t be going with the suggested ending provided. I’d be murdered if I did that to my players.

They'll certainly be well paid given what they were up against (twenty years of hazard pay?), but the big payoff would be prestige, and not just in the moment-of-glory sense: they'll be in the history books, their work will be talked about in schools, their names will be included alongside other leading explorers/scientists, they'll certainly enjoy celebrity status anywhere they go, etc. Play that up. It should be overwhelming.

20 years of salary plus hazard pay earning interest sitting in a bank would be quite a bit of money. I think the books mention bonuses, but is vague on how much and for what. As the GM you can basically give them as much money as you want.

I would suggest not continuing the campaign after their return. These characters had their epic adventure, time for a new crew to do different things. I usually end my campaigns by allowing each player to narrate what happens over the rest of their character's life. Sort of like you see at the end of some movies. Let each player decide what their character does with their wealth and prestige and share that with the group.

20 years of salary plus hazard pay earning interest sitting in a bank would be quite a bit of money. I think the books mention bonuses, but is vague on how much and for what. As the GM you can basically give them as much money as you want.

I would suggest not continuing the campaign after their return. These characters had their epic adventure, time for a new crew to do different things. I usually end my campaigns by allowing each player to narrate what happens over the rest of their character's life. Sort of like you see at the end of some movies. Let each player decide what their character does with their wealth and prestige and share that with the group.
We won’t be playing much after their return, but they’d definitely will want to return, collect their rewards and narrate their retirements and/or fund their next set of Travellers in a merchant campaign of some sort. I think I’ll give them all a 1-3 point increase in their SOC stats.

If there has not been any guide or standard applied to their compensation I think I’ll go with their standard pay x4 for the duration of the journey. That ought to be enough for most members to decide it’s a good time to invest and retire.

Has anyone determined what compensation the crew is supposed to be offered for going on a 20+ year mission with a high level of danger, and a substantial possibility of not returning?
Shackleton's "Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger. Safe return doubtful. Honor and recognition in case of success." ad is probably apocryphal, but it's the mood I'd be trying for here.

Back