Deepnight Revelation - GMs Thread

Geir said:
(And thanks for agreeing that j-2 scouts are not so useful at keeping up). One big problem I had is the whole narrative requires quick jumps to keep up the pace, and the fuel refineries need a week to process enough fuel for the next J-4, meaning a minimum of two weeks separation between jumps.

From a campaign perspective, I guess if you want to give the ship (or small craft) redesigns, that's a choice (one I would pick, but that's just my curmudgeon ship design mode), but the question is: whose choice?

I have always wondered why no one has installed collectors in the ships. This would free up so much space, that a lot of other options would become available, e.g. a J-4 jump drive for the scout (perhaps even J-6?). It would change the campaign, but given a journey into the unknown and through a lot of empty space, the installation of this technology seems almost a necessity to me.
The narrative of the DNR campaign is that money is tight and they had to take what ship was available. Constructing a ship from scratch would be too expensive and would take too much time. That is absolutely understandable, but shouldn't a mission as important as DNR start with the all possible options increasing the chances of success?

I agree that the Travellers should have a say in the design of the ship.

I'm at work and don't have access to my notes, but I redesigned the DNR to have :

400T construction deck, allowing you to build 200T of jump capable ship at a time.
one of every construction facility (technically from the starport section of HG, but hey treat it as a dedicated workshop).
a dedicated agricultural biodome/park sufficient for the entire crew.
a stables holding small meat animals, party chose chickens for the eggs.

We also retrofitted a collector into the ship as a backup.

to get the space, dump a few extra scouts, remove the unnecessary pod-bridges or reduce them to smaller emergency ones, hell you can chop out a bay or two if needed.

You're on a 20 year mission. While a backup jump drive wasn't on the cards, if I'd been able to get one it would have saved us a bunch of times.
Refit a bunch of the gigs and pinnaces, mining is more use than exploration considering the insane sensor tech on the main ship.

We are about to start DN Legacy and what I’m missing in the module are a couple of maps, especially a map of the valley shoving the location of the Candling Station, the carvings camp, the observatory, and the weather centre. Has anybody made such a map and would like to share it?

A map over the planet and the observatory would also be nice.

Condottiere said:
The Annic Nova had a backup jump drive (system).

Our ship has a jump-1 backup drive.

I confess that we did not use the DNR ship at all in our campaign. My players wanted to play a Star Trek like adventure and did a design for a suited long distance exploration ship. When the DNR campaign appeared on the horizon, I decided to use this campaign as the launching pad for this enterprise. I just integrated all campaign related equipment into the ship my players had designed. This might also be an option for other groups in case the players like ship design. Of course, some changes in the campaign might then become necessary.

Varulv said:
We are about to start DN Legacy and what I’m missing in the module are a couple of maps, especially a map of the valley shoving the location of the Candling Station, the carvings camp, the observatory, and the weather centre. Has anybody made such a map and would like to share it?

A map over the planet and the observatory would also be nice.

Yes, a map would have been helpful. Unfortunately, my artistic talents are a little lacking, so no map from me. :(
Fortunately, there are not so many relevant locations and most of them are close to each other, so that it will work out without a map.

If I had to plan out a really deep space mission, and time isn't an issue, I'd pattern it on dog sledding.

Probably why the Vargr managed to get as far as they did.

Condottiere said:
If I had to plan out a really deep space mission, and time isn't an issue, I'd pattern it on dog sledding.

This is an ...interesting and... unconventional ... approach. :D
There is only one problem: What will you do to pass the aeons as your dogs drag your sled along the milky way? Playing a long RPG campaign comes to my mind...

Condottiere said:
Probably why the Vargr managed to get as far as they did.

:D
I don't know if they would take that as a compliment.

If like Amundsen's south pole expedition, most of the dogs got eaten, I'm not sure they'd take it as a complement.

PUy658X.gif

Quick question for any GM familiar with the expansion books... in the Campaign Guide, p. 100, it says (wrt the Alien Encounter incident): 'How the Travellers treat these bodies may become relevant later in the campaign when they encounter the parent civilisation.'

Which parent civilisation is this referring to?

Thanks!

Dan.

ochd said:
Quick question for any GM familiar with the expansion books... in the Campaign Guide, p. 100, it says (wrt the Alien Encounter incident): 'How the Travellers treat these bodies may become relevant later in the campaign when they encounter the parent civilisation.'

Which parent civilisation is this referring to?

Thanks!

Dan.

The Tenipal from the Near Side of Yonder

Hey Matt... for some reason that book is missing from the tablet editions in Drive Thru... I have all the others

A question about crime and punishment on board the Revelation came up in my game recently. Is there anywhere in canon I can go to for what kind of judicial system would be in place on a long voyage like this?

A question about crime and punishment on board the Revelation came up in my game recently. Is there anywhere in canon I can go to for what kind of judicial system would be in place on a long voyage like this?

I don't know of anything canon, and I doubt it exists. This is the first time (that I'm aware of) that a long voyage like this has been handled in enough detail to worry about that sort of thing. I do think it is an interesting topic for discussion. I see in the plans Deepnight Revelation has 4 brigs, so clearly this was a consideration.

What roles are your players taking on the ship? If they're in charge they probably get to decide. If not, I think some sort of tribunal would be more interesting than captain's fiat. I'm not sure what other models there might be.

Hi shammond42,

Yes, they're in charge of the ship, so as you say they get to decide. But that inevitably led to the question of what tradition of shipboard discipline the characters would draw upon to make their decision - e.g. on long tours does the Imperial navy and the IISS use corporal (or even capital) punishment?

Dan.

ochd said:
Yes, they're in charge of the ship, so as you say they get to decide. But that inevitably led to the question of what tradition of shipboard discipline the characters would draw upon to make their decision - e.g. on long tours does the Imperial navy and the IISS use corporal (or even capital) punishment?

Punishment is covered on page 23 of the Naval Campaign Sourcebook (in the Element Class Cruisers set). Ship board punishments are limited to things like extra duties, unpleasant duties, confinement, cancelation of shore leave, etc. Major punishments are handled by a court off the ship, and rules are provided. Extended voyages where that isn't possible aren't discussed, probably because that really doesn't happen except in the case of Deepnight Revelation.

If I were to establish discipline procedures for Deepnight Revelation I would probably use some sort of tribunal. It might consist of the Mission Commander, highest ranking officer in the accused's department, and a random crew member from another department. I'd also probably use some variation of the rules from the Naval Campaign Sourcebook to adjudicate the trial.

Actually, I did wonder if that sourcebook would have more details. I'll have to check it out, thanks.

Dan

This is totally unofficial and you don't have to use it in your campaign, but I got this bug up my, um *somewhere*, a few months back and made dotmaps for 42 (yes, intentional) sectors relevant to the Deepnight Revelation campaign.
Joshua Bell has kindly added these to https://travellermap.com .
If you want to use these, it does save some work and would likely approximate star charts produced by the IISS or some other agency prior to departure. These only cover the story through the rift crossing and they match the campaign books in the following manner:

Incognita Citerior: Subsector L is specified as the location of Point Demnan and Garva-411
Vilaaskasii: Subsector F: hexes match the Vilaaskasii Region per p. 32 of The Riftsedge Transit (RET)
Deepnight: Subsector H: hexes match Hennlix Nebula per RET p.41; Subsector I: hexes match Point Grainger from RET p.55
Near Side of Yonder: Subsector L: includes the Alikaia Systems per RET p. 84 with ALS-BMM anchored at 0102 (2522); Subsector M: Includes Near Side of Yonder Systems per RET p.111 with NSY-X Sigma anchored at 0201 (0231).
Last Prospect: Subsectors C, D, G, H correspond to Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta per pages 44-45 of The Near Side of Yonder.
Best Prospect: Locations tweaked to allow a path to Crossing, but only with assistance to complete a five parsec jump (by whatever means – whether alien assistance or a deep space refueling)
Crossing: Star locations correspond to DSS-# locations (plus some other random stars) to allow a crossing as indicated per pages 7-9 of The Crossing, with FSR-1 located at Far Shore 0137. A separate crossing map was created to test the path, but not included. DSS-3 and -7 are included, but could be removed as they are only brown dwarfs.

Any and all errors or omissions are my fault...

Back