Dawn of Destruction - Problems

columbob

Mongoose
There are a few missing paragraph ends near the end of certain pages.

Also, I think the most obvious rules mistake that springs to mind is that a level 17 Brother of the Crystal Star uses a Grand Word of Motion...which isn't a power he can use before level 20.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems?

I don't have the adventure (yet) but if he actually uses the spell in the adventure, then it can be fixed in the following way:

If said wizard is the guildmaster of the brotherhood guild of toran, then elevate him to level 20. (the brothehood maintains the largest part of its power in toran, so it makes sense for its guildmaster to be level 20, if not another elder or 2 as well)

Therefore even if he is not the guildmaster he could be a very powerful elder and thus be level 20.

I concur with Xex, I was surprised how low level the Council of 12 were.

As for editing problems, well it's unfortunately nothing new and I hope we'll see the missing parts as a download, as well as the players handouts.

But overall a solid adventure that I will GM for the RPG club that I manage at the high school where I work. A great way to start a campaign. I love the pregenated characters; that will save the sometime arduous task of character generation (for most young newbies at least).

I hope the following adventures will cater to higher levels groups, as we now have enough 1st level adventures (counting the excellent offering in S&P from Matt Thomason).

columbob said:
Also, I think the most obvious rules mistake that springs to mind is that a level 17 Brother of the Crystal Star uses a Grand Word of Motion...which isn't a power he can use before level 20.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems?

The following round, Verais activates an item in his possession that enables him to use the Grand Word of Motion

Dawn of Destruction p 40

Hope that helps you guys.

You have keen peepers stondraeg! :shock: Well, that should solve the problem, though I had personally thought the grand word of power to be too strong to be contained in a magick item. (the same way the greater arts of the shianti cannot be contained in any magick item, as is stated in magic of magnamund.)

I personally cannot wait to read through this excellent sounding adventure once I recieve it, (even though it is for level 1 characters :x ). I am just a little miffed though, that the magick of magnamund classes were not included. (not that they cannot be played in it ofcourse, but you know what I mean).

Redlace, by council of 12 I take it that refers to the ruling elders of the brotherhood guild. While I will reserve opinion, IMO I don't think they should all be level 20 ofcourse. Only the guildmaster, and another elder or two, and only because this is toran. The rest ought ot be around levels 12-16 IMO. :)

But ofcourse the adventure is just a guideline, it will be up to each individual narrator to judge what fits with his idea of magnamund and adjust things accordingly.

My personal opinion is that none of them should be level 20. That means a trip to the Daziarn, which should be a very rare, even miraculous event. Going strictly by canon, this hasn't ever happened.

-GB

Xex said:
I personally cannot wait to read through this excellent sounding adventure once I recieve it, (even though it is for level 1 characters :x ).

As is usual with the Lone Wolf products it's incredibly wel thought out and maybe a little on the short side. I'd call it almost as well thought out as Blood Moon Rising, remember how much useful background info and "why that happened" stuff is supplied to the Gm so they know what's going on? Well Dawn of Destruction is almost as well done, the only reason there's less justification and explanation in it is because there's so much happening in different places and it all needs to be explained. Oh, and it's got a nice little tie in with Blood Moon Rising if you want to use that as a follow up :).

Dawn of Destruction is for a party of 7 1st level characters. If there are 4 characters or less it suggests making them second level. It also suggests possibly allowing a single 3rd level Kai Lord or Brother of the Crystal Star to attemtp the adventure solo (if they're really brave or if you're really low on players).

Xex said:
You have keen peepers stondraeg! :shock: Well, that should solve the problem, though I had personally thought the grand word of power to be too strong to be contained in a magick item. (the same way the greater arts of the shianti cannot be contained in any magick item, as is stated in magic of magnamund.)

Indeed! I completely missed that part, even if I read the whole book. Thanks Balgin for pointing it out to me.

Xex said:
I personally cannot wait to read through this excellent sounding adventure once I recieve it, (even though it is for level 1 characters :x ). I am just a little miffed though, that the magick of magnamund classes were not included. (not that they cannot be played in it ofcourse, but you know what I mean).

Guidelines are included for using the classes from MoM, but none of them have been pregenerated like the 7 core classes. No big deal, it's a question of space I believe.

Xex said:
Redlace, by council of 12 I take it that refers to the ruling elders of the brotherhood guild. While I will reserve opinion, IMO I don't think they should all be level 20 ofcourse. Only the guildmaster, and another elder or two, and only because this is toran. The rest ought ot be around levels 12-16 IMO. :)

You're pretty much on the dot here, Verais (Grand Master of the Council, and probably most powerful Brother of the Crystal Star in Northern Magnamund) is level 17, and the rest vary, most are levels 11-15, IIRC.

columbob said:
even if I read the whole book.

And I still haven't read it all yet. I read the introduction and skimmed through the rest, reading the endgame stuff more thoroughly. I intend to sit down and read it fully before running it for my local gamers but that's not likely to happen for a good month or two yet so I've got plenty of time to do other stuff like painting miniatures and playing other games :). I only happened to notice that bit because I wanted to check the details of how the game ends if a certain event takes place (those of you who've read it will know what I mean). I wanted to check how the action would continue after that took place.

Back