D20 rather than D10

Ok, heres a crazy idea, but bare with me.
Rather than using d10, i may try using d20 instead. All the modifies from disciplines etc are doubled however, so a 5th rank Kai monk would add their Rank (or 5) to specific discipline based rolls. The Gm sets the difficulty, rated from 2 to 20 or possibly higher, 11 representing a typical task. Regardless of modifiers, a natural 1 always fails, while a natural 20 always succeeds.

So for example, Bright Fox is trying to sneak by a foe, across a brightly lit corridor. Since he is 7th rank, with the Camouflage discipline, he makes a d20 roll and adds 7 to the result. Since this is very tricky, the Gm sets a difficulty of 16. Bright Fox player rolls a 10, for a total of 17, so Bright Fox just manages to sneak by the guard.

Combat

Combat is a series of blows - it is not decided on a single roll. On each players turn to attack, they roll d20 adding their CS (plus bonuses from weapons, mindblast etc). Your opponent attempts to parry or dodge this blow, and makes a d20 roll adding their CS (plus bonuses from shields etc). If the attacker exceeds the targets total, they inflict 1 EP damage for each point higher. If you roll a 20, you may roll again adding to your total.

For example, Bright Fox (CS 18, EP 29, Shield (+2CS) is facing a Deathknight (CS 15, EP 26)

On the first turn, Bright Fox`s player rolls a 17, for a total of 35. The Death Knight attempts to parry this blow, and rolls a total of 26, so bright Fox inflicts 9 EP damage. The Drakkar returns the blow and rolls a total of 28 - Bright Fox attempts to parry, rolling a total of 26, so takes 2 EP damage.

Pro Player Bias

Gms wishing to maintain the usual bias can halve all damage caused by enemies, rounding down.

lobocastle - doesn't that skew it somewhat though, since a d10 has a 10% chance of each number, whereas 2d6 has a more varied distribution (eg: approximate 3% chance each of a 2 or a 12, compared to approximate 17% change of rolling 7) - or do you take this into account? a d12 has a more similar profile to d10 (equal chance each number) if you are wanting a slightly increased range ...

as for phantomdoodler, aren't you basically just implementing basic d+d, pretty much? ;-) the lone wolf rules are simple enough, if you want to complicate it why not adopt a different existing rules set - i'm a fan of wfrp 2nd. rules, one day i might even get around to converting LW to that (maybe ...)

Each to their own of course, and as long as you are enjoying your lone wolf that's the main thing ...

elizzar,

Yes, it is skewed, with 7 being most prevalent. I like it that way. As far as getting 10 or higher 1 in 6 chance of doing which is better than 10%.

JLL

Back