Curse of Tantalus - campaign setting

Chobbly

Mongoose
Hello all,

I've been working on a campaign setting for the Babylon Five roleplaying game for the last couple of months, and thought I'd compile my progress up into PDF in case anyone wanted to take a look. I've stuck a couple of piccies in there as well, to break up the words.

It's set on a remote Centauri space station, portions of which are leased to the Earth Alliance for trade purposes. Chapter 1 is 100% complete, Chapter 2 is 95% complete. Even if it's not of general use, I hope that some elements like the Nova Dreadnought 'Pegasus' at least prove of interest.

Anyway, it can be found here - http://www.chrisncate.net/chris/cursetantalus.html

If you download it, and have any comments (critical or complementary) then please let me know. It should work with Adobe pre version 5.0, but definitely works with 5.0.

Chobbly

I skimmed through both chapters and I am really impressed by the high quality of it. The outpost and the NPCs are described with a lot of details. I will definitely be reading it thoroughly as it looks more than promising. The presentation is of professional quality. Great work, Chris! Will follow your progress with great interest. :D 8)

I have also looked at it and it looks good, I will read through it more thoroughly once I have printed it out. I'll make sure I check your site for the rest of the chapters.

Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks for the comments. :)

Chapter Three may hit the site in a couple of weeks, I've got some other stuff to sort out before then, but formatting of the PDF should only take a day or so. The character histories are all about the same size as the one for Captain Elias Mebuto in Chapter Two - I have this problem with writing capsule histories for characters, in that I find it really, really difficult, because I want to explain the wheres, the whys, the who's.... Oh well....

The Centauri additions to Chapter Two will have to wait, just so they fit in with the Centauri Fact Book. Having a copy of the book would make things so much easier... :wink:

It looks seriously interesting and very well done. I hope you will post info on some adventures using the station.

I'll go ahead and say it too. It looks really good! Do you mind if I pull from it and use it in my campaign world?

Lemme toss in my 2 Cetauri Ducats by saying:

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

While I'm impatiently waiting to see more of what you've done, I'd rather wait and have the quality remain high!

Slingbld

Dag'Nabbit said:
I'll go ahead and say it too. It looks really good! Do you mind if I pull from it and use it in my campaign world?

Not at all. It's on the web for people to download and use if they want, so if it interests you, go for it! If someone want to just take just an aspect, like the Nova Dreadnought Pegasus, and use it in their regular game (not even involved with Tantalus), that's perfectly fine too. If you want to take the PDF, but change the name, location, whatever, it's your game. All I hope is that your players enjoy or find interesting whichever bits of the Tantalus setting that suit your game. :D

Thanks for all the nice comments. Hopefully, I can get the characters chapter up sometime next week. The descriptions are done (all about the same size as Captain Mebuto), just a couple of tweaks to make ... :wink:

I must agree. This is fine work. Thanks much for sharing it and helping others by making it available openly on the web. The PDFs are a nice touch. They make things modular and easy to pull for private use.

Excellent job,
-August

Mongoose August said:
I must agree. This is fine work. Thanks much for sharing it and helping others by making it available openly on the web. The PDFs are a nice touch. They make things modular and easy to pull for private use.

Excellent job,
-August

Thanks muchly. Coming from a published writer, that means a lot... :D

Baraendur, I'd love to write stuff officially. I'm a s/w developer by trade, but dabbling in writing is something that I've done, on and off, for a few years now, mainly as a hobby rather than something official.

I'd love to write something around the Anla-Shok (being the sole individual on the planet who thought Legend of the Rangers was ok :lol: ), and might factor this into the Tantalus thing at some point if I get past the Chapter Three, which will be ready soon. I love the concepts and ideas of the Rangers, my copy of 'City of Sorrows' looking a little bit tatty these days, from overuse.

Chobbly

Don't mention it. You certainly deserved the praise.

The Rangers are an excellent concept and will probably be the single most enduring concept of the entire B5 arc. I am tentatively slated to write the Rangers Sourcebook later this year, so I'll be delving a lot deeper into the subject for everyone concerned. Stay tuned for details on this.

Take care, and keep up the fine work,
-August

Chobbly said:
Not at all. It's on the web for people to download and use if they want, so if it interests you, go for it! If someone want to just take just an aspect, like the Nova Dreadnought Pegasus, and use it in their regular game (not even involved with Tantalus), that's perfectly fine too. If you want to take the PDF, but change the name, location, whatever, it's your game. All I hope is that your players enjoy or find interesting whichever bits of the Tantalus setting that suit your game. :D

I'm glad you don't mind because I think I'm gonna steal large parts of it for a PBEM I'm thinking of running soon!!

Your stuff is fantastic keep it comming!

Midnight

Midnight said:
I'm glad you don't mind because I think I'm gonna steal large parts of it for a PBEM I'm thinking of running soon!!

Your stuff is fantastic keep it comming!

Midnight

:lol: Steal away, my friend!

Slingbld, Chapter 3 is coming tomorrow. I'm just sorting out a picture for the final page.

For the parts after that, it'll be on an as and when basis. Chapter 3 is, to me, the important last core part, detailing the personalities on the Outpost. The history of the outpost, the plan of the outpost, the command crew of the outpost and the defensive forces in the area will all be on-line.
The way I'd figured it, these would be the core of the downloads on Tantalus, the rest (Chapters 4-6) being mainly fluff and additional information wrapped around it.

I might get around to doing a couple of smaller bits and pieces, such as a player handout for the Outpost, etc, and an additional character or two, in the near future.

Stay tuned...

Chobbly

Dude, you rock! I'm going online tomorrow, that's for sure.

Course I'm online everyday. But this just makes me want tomorrow to get here sooner. :D

Chobbly said:
Slingbld, Chapter 3 is coming tomorrow. I'm just sorting out a picture for the final page.

For the parts after that, it'll be on an as and when basis. Chapter 3 is, to me, the important last core part, detailing the personalities on the Outpost. The history of the outpost, the plan of the outpost, the command crew of the outpost and the defensive forces in the area will all be on-line.
The way I'd figured it, these would be the core of the downloads on Tantalus, the rest (Chapters 4-6) being mainly fluff and additional information wrapped around it.

I might get around to doing a couple of smaller bits and pieces, such as a player handout for the Outpost, etc, and an additional character or two, in the near future.

Stay tuned...

Chobbly

YYEEEEAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!
<insert buthead soundbite here>
Heheh, that like rocks!
<end buthead bit>

slingbld said:
Chobbly said:

Stay tuned...

Chobbly

IT'S TOMOROW!!! Where's the link! Yer late! You PROMISSED US!!!
>j/k<

I'll look for it this weekend :)

Back