Crafting and such things

Hello,

perhaps i overread something, i really like traveller for the depth, but some things i really miss.

Are the rules to craft things? Like producing drugs, robots and so on... There are things like a laboratory to research thing or a workshop to craft things but i can not find any topic which explain it further.

There is a skill named animal handling. How are animales tamed and is it possible to use them as a companion? Are there stats for common animals?

And the last question.... are there ballistic space weapons? I mean in Space size not only divide through ten like it is written in High Guard? Like Chainguns etc... (this is only a personal flavor)

To answer the last question, slug-throwers just aren't going to work at Traveller space combat range. The projectiles just take too long to get there. For example, consider a Vulcan gatling cannon. It has a muzzle velocity of 1050 meters per second. If it were fired at an adjacent space combat hex, it's about 1000 miles away, or 1600 km. Divide 1600 km by 1050 meters/second, the bullets take about 25 minutes to get there.

Also, starship armor, even 0-point armor, is stout. It can take micrometeorite impacts without scratching the paint. A 99-gram Vulcan round at 1050 meters per second will just bug-splat on the armor.

Of course if you want to mount a cannon on the outside of your starship for adversaries that aren't worth a 400 megajoule ship laser, you can probably get one fitted to the ship.

Also, there is such a thing as a mass driver in the rules. It throws stuff a lot faster than a cannon that throws stuff with gunpowder.

steve98052 said:
To answer the last question, slug-throwers just aren't going to work at Traveller space combat range. The projectiles just take too long to get there. For example, consider a Vulcan gatling cannon. It has a muzzle velocity of 1050 meters per second. If it were fired at an adjacent space combat hex, it's about 1000 miles away, or 1600 km. Divide 1600 km by 1050 meters/second, the bullets take about 25 minutes to get there.

Also, starship armor, even 0-point armor, is stout. It can take micrometeorite impacts without scratching the paint. A 99-gram Vulcan round at 1050 meters per second will just bug-splat on the armor.

Of course if you want to mount a cannon on the outside of your starship for adversaries that aren't worth a 400 megajoule ship laser, you can probably get one fitted to the ship.

Also, there is such a thing as a mass driver in the rules. It throws stuff a lot faster than a cannon that throws stuff with gunpowder.

completely understandable^^ i read the mass driver and the rail guns and i like them^^ so i have to stick with the laser gunz :D thanks

Back to the crafting question - i’ve been treating those activities as Extended Tasks. They generally break down as something like this:

• Concept - create the concept for the device, probably a Science task. If the character is creating from a pre-existing design this step would be skipped unless you’re making modifications. (Note - I’M using “device” in a very generic sense here.)
    Design - design the elements that make up the device. Likely a Science task as well, but not necessarily - could be Engineer, Mechanic, etc. Again, if the character is using a pre-existing design you might skip this step.
    Make - the character creates the design elements. Different elements may require different skills to craft, so likely this will take more than one skill check.
    Assemble - for complex devices you may want an assembly step to ensure all the elements work together.

You might include a trial or test step as well to make sure the device works properly. Depends on the device.

I also home-ruled the steps for getting a device patented, but it’s arguable whether patents as we know them today would work in the Traveller universe.

If the other side is obligingly closing the range at an accelerating pace, the targetting predictors are going to have an easy time calculating intercept paths.

Back