Countermagic question

Hoitsu

Mongoose
One question about countermagic and boosting spell. Lets assume that Rurik casts Disruption spell against a broo. Rurik have boosted the spell with 5 MP´s so the magnitude when countering is now 6. Is it possible that broo knows only countermagic 1 but boosts it up to 9 with 8 MP´s to counter the incoming spell. Or do the broo have to know Mag 9 countermagic in order to counter Rurik´s disruption spell boosted to mag 6? maybe i explained this in a hard way but english is not my native language:D same goes for Dispel.
Do i have to learn high enough Dispel Magic spell to dispel powerful spell or can i use MP´s to boost it?
Ofcourse if you know Dispel-5 and need Dispel-7 you need to use only 2 MP´s comparing to Dispel-1 and using 6 MP´s.
I Hope you understand what i mean

Good question. The Disruption is obviously considered Magnitude 6 for countering, but there's nothing in the overcharging rule or Countermagic itself that says boosting it increases its inherent Magnitude in order to cancel a spell.

In previous editions of RQ, boosting the Countermagic would effectively increase it's magnitude, but I dont think that's the intent in MRQ.

I would say (and it's only my own view of course) that you would need to know Countermagic 6 in order to counter the above Disruption. Any less, and you just don't have the power. Overcharging a Countermagic would only be effective to prevent someone else countering your Countermagic.

Gerry

In previous editions, you could only add MPs for the purposes of blowing down Countermagic and similar and that's how it should be. If it were otherwise, nobody would learn anything but Countermagic 1.

I think boosting only applies to offensive magics so you would need to know the appropriate magnitude of Countermagic.

If a spell provides the option to 'resist' then you can spend magic points to give you a better chance at whichever test is needed.

Hoitsu said:
ODo i have to learn high enough Dispel Magic spell to dispel powerful spell or can i use MP´s to boost it?

You have to know a high enough Dispel Magic spell. Checking the effects of boosting with 'extra' MPs, this only increases the magnitude for the purposes of blasting through Countermagic type spells*. It will not increase it's ability to affect other spells.

Simon Hibbs

* When sorcery and divine magic come out, it should be effective against their equivalent defensive spells.

Thank you for your answers. That confirmed the thing i suspected:D
But it is easier now to learn spells cos you can learn Dispel-8 straight away and not having to learn the previous magnitudes first. Ofcourse there are the cult and other restrictions to that magnitude 8 spell but anyway

Hoitsu said:
Thank you for your answers. That confirmed the thing i suspected:D
But it is easier now to learn spells cos you can learn Dispel-8 straight away and not having to learn the previous magnitudes first. Ofcourse there are the cult and other restrictions to that magnitude 8 spell but anyway

I don't think there was anything in RQ3 to stop you learning Dispel 8 streight away.

Simon Hibbs

Yes but i meant MRQ, there are those cult restrictions etc. that prohibites you to learn for example that Dispel-8. And i recall that in previous versions you had to know all the previous magnitudes in order to learn that Dispel-8 spell. But ofcourse i could be wrong:D

simonh said:
I don't think there was anything in RQ3 to stop you learning Dispel 8 streight away.

Simon Hibbs

IIRC, Dispel was a variable spell, so you had to learn Dispel 1-7 before you could learn 8. That was the case for RQ2 anyway...

Gerry

gamesmeister said:
IIRC, Dispel was a variable spell, so you had to learn Dispel 1-7 before you could learn 8. That was the case for RQ2 anyway...

That's right, it's just this version of RQ that lets you jump ahead and take only Bladesharp 5 instead of 1 through 5.

Back