Corwin

Reborn said:
I've heard all that somewhere as well. Although I do like Sinclair, and it would have been interesting to have him for the whole five seasons, I can't imagine him doing such stirring speeches as Sheridan did when he came back from Zha'dum, for example; he just doesn't have the same charisma.

You've obviously not met Michael O'Hare then, as he is nothing like the early series one Sinclair (a little thing called "acting"). He's more than capable of it, just circumstances robbed us of that.

Reborn said:
And Sinclair had Sakai, so he wouldn't have got it on with Delenn :(

But Sakai would have been lost out on the Rim, after a lead given to her by IPX...

You just have to look at the relationship that Delenn and Sinclair had in Season 1 and tell me that wasn't going to bed at some point when she became more human...

Sinclair just couldn't have changed that radically for me, I just can't see it.

The minute Sheridan is on board he's doing speeches already and you can see he has that kind of charisma needed to get fired up.

Sinclair was always really quiet about everything - he only spoke when he needed to really. I really liked him, but he didn't strike me as being much fun.

No, I haven't met Michael O'Hare, but Michael O'Hare wasn't Commander of Babylon 5, Jeffrey Sinclair was.

Sheridan is a pompous ass though, which I can never overlook. He is a loud mouthed, overbearing, self righteous jerk who was took full of himself for my liking. Ignoring the fact that Garibaldi was at the time being messed with by Bester, everything he said about Sheridan was true to a degree. Give me an effecient understated military commander like Sinclair any day.

Don't get me wrong, I approve of his decisions (my personal favorite being: "Mr. President... how many White Stars did you send to assist them?" "All of them.") but I just don't like the smugness that he constantly seems to exude. (Strangely Bester's smugness doesn't bother me nearly as much, probably because we get to see him at his weakest, when he is bargaining with Sheridan)

Sheridan and Delenn are two of my least favorite characters in the show.

Reborn said:
No, I haven't met Michael O'Hare, but Michael O'Hare wasn't Commander of Babylon 5, Jeffrey Sinclair was.

But you couldn't see how the Sinclair could become like Sheriden. The answer is that's it's all down to the actor playing him. Weirdly enough, characters don't stay fixed, they evolve and a large chunk of the reason that O'Hare was hired was that he had considerable range and being from a stage background was very good at the speachifying...

when dr Kyle got recalled so did Lt. cmder Tacashema but you dont see her name in the 2nd edit book but you do in the 1st edit book

lastbesthope said:
It talks there of 'under it's last Commander', which by a technicality is Sinclair, since Sheridan and Lochley, whilst in command of B5, were Captains.

I believe it's using "Commander" in the sense of "commanding officer" rather than "individual with the rank Commander".

*shrugs* I dunno, I'm very far behind in the series (only seen seasons 1 and 2).

Edit: whoops, posted this as a response to stuff on page 1; completely missed the second page of discussion. Sorry!

agreed, commander is another way to refer to "commanding officer" wich is irrespective of rank.

Captain, is also a way to refer to the CO of any navy ship - irrespective of rank. the guy could be a Capatain, Commander, or Lieutenant Commander. A lot of cans (ie destroyers, frigates, cruisers) aren't commanded by O-6's. It depends on the size, number of people, and importance of the asset.

Commanding something the size of B5, with 7500 some-odd crew, and 250,000 civilians, and lets face it, a "military governor" as its called in one instance, is really something for a Flag rank. If I were serving in earthforce, I think it would surprise me to see something like that under a "mere" commander or captain.

Chern

wellll....I don't think thats something I would do. based on my experience, a person of Flag rank would command a fleet or task force (ie, more than one ship). Flag ranks tend to command strategic assets, rather than tactical ones. So task forces/fleets, bases, ship squadrons, theater commands (CINCEUR, CINCLANT, COMNAVAIRPAC, for example) and things like that. Command of ships at sea I'd think would stay within the command structure even in the event of the captain's death (the XO would assume command, and then down the chain of command) The Admiral has "more important" decisions to make than those related to the command of an individual ship.

Now, in a Sci-Fi setting, sure you can take license. If the minbari want Sinclair, and they footed the bill, hey, they'll get sinclair.

Chern

Oh you, me and everyone knows commander just means the guy in charge, but it was an excuse that was come up with when the itriginally unplanned change of CO occurred.

LBH

Back