Core Rulebook Update 2022 FAQ

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let everyone know, we have just uploaded an FAQ/errata for the Core Rulebook Update 2022. You can find it on our Downloads page here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/downloads.htm

We have also updated the PDF editions with these tweaks (which amounts to the armour page, the vehicle autocannon, the Dilettante on the career summary table and the Survey Scout deck plans). Simply re-download from our web site or Drivethru and you are good to go.

To pre-empt the question, I am afraid the printed edition is already complete (that boat has literally sailed), and we apologise deeply. It looks like just this handful of things have an issue, and the FAQ should be easy to print. Please forgive us!

Note to Mongoose - never ever send a book to print until the pdf version has been available for a weekend, better yet a full week. These errors were spotted pretty quickly.

Not gonna lie, I am a less happy limited edition owner following this announcement, but it is what it is I guess…

I did like the updated Survey Scout deckplan, the additional staterooms make a lot of sense for that ship!

Since the errata is bound to a pdf, is there any chance for redesigned deckplans for the Sub Merchant and Liner as well, further down the road?

Crew and passengers sharing living space with each other isn’t a good solution, and especially with passengers roaming that close to the bridge on the Liner…

Thanks but really disappointing that the print version will still have these errors. Just when your quality control was getting so good. Longer period of PDF socialization with the community to spot errors? This update could have been so much more.

Annatar Giftbringer said:
Since the errata is bound to a pdf, is there any chance for redesigned deckplans for the Sub Merchant and Liner as well, further down the road?

Not immediately, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility...

richardtalbotuk said:
Thanks but really disappointing that the print version will be error filled. Just when your quality control was getting so good. Longer period of PDF socialization with the community to spot errors? This update could have been so much more

It is not great, I acknowledge, but I would point out that there are only 6 items, one of them really tiny and redundant, and three on the same table. I would opine this is not 'error filled' and the book remains solid.

Once again, we are sorry this has happened and we are looking into how each occurred (at least one was hands up flat my fault).

Matt you're never gonna catch all the errors and editing fails by yourself/ with your small team.

You should get the community involved to find all your errors for free and quickly before PDFs get sent to hardcopy print.

The quality of your product will improve and it will cost you nothing except the extra week or two of time for the community to review.

I agree.

The kickstarted products which have the pdfs going to backers get a few hundred pairs of eyes error checking before it needs to go to print.

A pre-order/free pdf product launch will likely have more than enough people to vet the pdf if that goes out before the book goes to print.

A £100 limited edition should not have errors like a missing/incomplete armour table - a typo here and there is forgivable.

It still isn't on the same scale as the T5 first edition :)

Well, that's unfortunate. At least I only went with the standard edition.

Echoing what others said: I think it would be helpful if, going forward, there was a bit of buffer between PDF release and scheduling the print version to allow for user-reported corrections. I'm rather lenient regarding errors in digital products (as long as they do get fixed in the end), but for print versions, this is really an issue.

Yup it is a shame. I did a few copy edit read throughs along with a dozen or so people on the same book and all it cost the company was a pdf of the corrected book. Maybe you could do the same?

I too ordered the limited edition and I’m less than impressed that it has been printed with such basic errors. Is there anyway to cancel the physical order and just go with the pdf?

I've noticed that nobody has addressed the issue on pages 216-217 on world building. It mentions that the way to roll a world's diameter is 2D6-2 and the result is the diameter in thousands of kilometers. However, on page 217, the chart there shows numbers inconsistent with the die rolls..ie, on a total of 8, the diameter should read 8000 kilometers, but the chart shows 12,800 kilometers. I think what happened is in the original game, the diameter was listed in miles and Mongoose had simply converted the range from that to kilometers. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Steven.

Harpoonrgm84a said:
I've noticed that nobody has addressed the issue on pages 216-217 on world building. It mentions that the way to roll a world's diameter is 2D6-2 and the result is the diameter in thousands of kilometers. However, on page 217, the chart there shows numbers inconsistent with the die rolls..ie, on a total of 8, the diameter should read 8000 kilometers, but the chart shows 12,800 kilometers. I think what happened is in the original game, the diameter was listed in miles and Mongoose had simply converted the range from that to kilometers. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Steven.

Yes, you are correct. UWP size should be (according to all previous d6 Traveller versions) thousands of miles. Earth has always been listed as size 8 which is approximately 8000 miles/12800km. The error is repeated in the text on p249 of the new book.

Should the Cannon (in vehicle weapons) do 1DD as in the previous version? Or is the 8D an intended downgrade to its performance?

Similarly, should the Air raft have armour 10? That’s a big upgrade from 2 in the old version.

Here is the potential errata I have found in the new Core Book.

p. 9 Skills references page 42 - should be page 58
p.39 event table entry 4 has a reference to animal(riding) which should be animal(handling).
p.79 Smart weapons can also home in one communications devices, - one should be on.
p.81 Vacc suits and other measures of protection reduce radiation exposure, as shown on page 81. - should reference page 102.
p.128 Assualt Rifle is on chart on page 127 but not pictured or described on page 128 with the other projectile weapons.
p.144 Should the air/raft have 10 armor? It had 2 armor in the old book and in the Vehicle Handbook.
p.153 Skipping on Debts - Payment is 4-24 months overdue: +4, Payment is 25 months to one year overdue: +2 - months should be weeks.
p.155 Encounters in bold cannot be ignored - No entries are in bold.
p.163 Travel calculations should be using meters and seconds NOT kilometers.
p.164 under Crew Duties - A list of possible actions related to each duty can be found on page 165. should be page 171.
p.167 under Missile Rack - It takes one round to reload a missile rack (see page 167). should be page 172.
p.173 under Missiles and Targets - Other modifiers, such Evasive Action, are used as normal. -such AS Evasive...
p.174 first paragraph - as described on page 138 vehicles or Travellers are directly involved. - damage scaling is found on page 167, also should include the word IF before vehicles.
p.179 under Install Drives - Reaction drives cost MCr0.2 per ton. - Reaction drives are not available in these rules.
p.181 under Install Weapons - Specific details of weapons (and defensive screens) - no screens are available in these rules.
p.181 under Determine Crew - salaries will increase by +50% will be added for every skill level above this. - remove "will be added" to make sentence grammatically correct.
p.183 Weapons and Screens - no screens are available in these rules.
p.212 Survey Scout total tonnage comes to 446 tons.
p.234 Teleportation is in the incorrect font size.
p.239 More details on passengers can be found on page 238. - should reference page 240 to be in line with the old version.

This is from a PDF copy downloaded on 11-17-2021.
edited 12-10-2021 to add p.234 errata.
edited 12-11-2021 to add p212 errata.

Just got my copy and then found this thread. Yeah, I'm not too happy about this either. While you can say that the number of errors is technically small, they are large in scope, particularly the missing armor information. I agree that Mongoose really should consider releasing the PDFs before the book goes to print and let the community do some checking for them. Most of these would have been caught in the first week. As it is, I may have to order a second printing just to have a hard copy that's "complete." Note: That is NOT a wise way to build sales, and I may have to be cautious about being an early purchaser in the future.

As I noted above the Survey Scout is 46 tons over its budget. There is a easy fix, however.

Change the Cutter's Full Hanger into Docking Space 100 tons > 60 tons - a saving of 40 tons.
Remove 6 tons from the cargo bay - Which actually matches the space in Megatraveller - 20 tons. A saving of 6 tons.

Now the new deck plans work and the ship is correct at 400 tons even.

I hope this disastrous release of their "most reviewed book ever" has taught Mongoose to release the PDFs waaay ahead of time to let the community do the review work for them, as they don't seem too up to scratch.

I've also just watched Seth's video on Ship Construction, and must say I'm extremely disappointed to see at the end the mess that is the ship cost across all the books.

Surge said:
I've also just watched Seth's video on Ship Construction, and must say I'm extremely disappointed to see at the end the mess that is the ship cost across all the books.

Check the comments on that video - Seth found the 10% discount for standard designs after he made the video.

Back