Converting Monsters to Conan

Melkor

Mongoose
How do you go about determing a monster's Dodge Bonus and Parry Bonus to Armor Class when converting them from standard D20 sources (assuming that they do not have a base character class progression) or even the D&D 3.5Monster Manual ?

How do you determine what Damage Reduction to assign them based on their Armor Class ?

Thanks.
 
It depends on what kind of monster it is. They either use the Barbarian dodge progression (animal, elemental, magical beast, monstrous humanoid, and outsider) or the Scholar dodge progression (aberrations, constructs, giants, oozes, plants, undead and vermin).
 

Melkor

Mongoose
Vincent,

Thanks for the response. What was the source of that information ? Is there a document that lists that somewhere ?

Anyone know about the Damage Reduction you assign to them based on their armor class (when the creature doesn't wear armor) ?

What about when a creature is wearing armor and has a natural AC bonus, how do you calculate thier Damage Reduction then ?
 

Strom

Mongoose
This is from Berin Kinsman's D20 Conversion to Conan PDF:

Damage Resistance

In most D20 games, Damage Resistance factors in the existence of magic weapons and commonplace Spellcasting, things that are far from common in Hyborea. To compensate, listed Damage Resistance should be divided by 5. If the creature is wearing armor, use that armor’s AC bonus as its DR. Add in Natural Armor bonuses as well.

(DR ÷ 5) + Armor

For example, an OGL creature is listed as have DR 40 and Natural Armor of 7. This would be a DR of 15 in Conan (DR 40 ÷ 5 = 8, +7 = 15).
Many creatures have conditions listed with the DR rating. Ignore anything with a “+” after the slash, such as DR 15/+1, indicating that a +1 or better weapon is required. Any conditions that can be met in the world of Hyborea can be retained, such as DR 20/silver (damage reduction is ineffective against silver weapons) or DR 15/bludgeoning (ignore Dr on damage done by bludgeoning weapons).

It was available at UncleBear.com
 
Melkor said:
Vincent,

Thanks for the response. What was the source of that information ? Is there a document that lists that somewhere ?

The source comes from documents that have not yet been published; as you might imagine, I have access to some stuff that most do not have access to.
 

thulsa

Mongoose
VincentDarlage said:
Melkor said:
Vincent,

Thanks for the response. What was the source of that information ? Is there a document that lists that somewhere ?

The source comes from documents that have not yet been published; as you might imagine, I have access to some stuff that most do not have access to.

Isn't this listed under "Dodge Defence" on page 296 of the Atlantean Edition?

- thulsa
 

Trodax

Mongoose
thulsa said:
Isn't this listed under "Dodge Defence" on page 296 of the Atlantean Edition?
The AE has Dodge progression based on Reflex Save (Good Reflex Save - dodge as a Barbarian, Poor Reflex Save - dodge as a Scholar), and not on the creatures Type as Vincent wrote here.

A slight rules change that will show up in the upcoming Hyborian Bestiary perhaps?
 

thulsa

Mongoose
Trodax said:
thulsa said:
Isn't this listed under "Dodge Defence" on page 296 of the Atlantean Edition?
The AE has Dodge progression based on Reflex Save (Good Reflex Save - dodge as a Barbarian, Poor Reflex Save - dodge as a Scholar), and not on the creatures Type as Vincent wrote here.

Though I haven't checked all the creature types, I assume Vincent just listed the various creature types with good and bad Reflex saves, respectively. Ie. this is not new information.

See http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#types for a list of creature types, BAB, saves, etc..

- thulsa
 

Trodax

Mongoose
thulsa said:
Though I haven't checked all the creature types, I assume Vincent just listed the various creature types with good and bad Reflex saves, respectively. Ie. this is not new information.
Oh yeah, you're right. I forgot that the save progressions are also based on Type, meaning that the info in the AE is the same as writing it as Vincent did here. :oops:
 
Top