Congratulations and Comments

Sado

Mongoose
Finally got my copy of the Multi-Player Gamebook, and you've done a fine job, really captures the feel of the original gamebooks. I do have one complaint-the new books are not coming out fast enough :) . I need more of this. I've never been inspired to run a game this much with any other system.

A question RE climbing. Why does climbing use Combat Skill when everything else is a 0-9 random number test? Wouldn't it be simpler to have everything work the same? In addition, the climbing tests near the end of the adventure (rooftop chase) DO use regular Tests rather than using CS.

Climbing is an athletic endeavor, doing something athletic is tested against your CS weather it be Fighting, Running, Jumping, Swimming or playing a round of Darts down the Bosser after a long day chasing down Gaiks.

I think they were trying to come up with a way for your physical condition to influence your physical rolls, more like D and D. I'm going to stop using that rule, though, and just stick with D10 tests.

Tricky. I'm not an absolute fan of using CS to reflect Climbing tests - after all it isn't done in the books, if anything it is more like EP that affects the Random Number roll - you know if EP is over 28 add 2, or less than 14 deduct 2, etc. However if you do the test based on CS & therefore 'Physical Condition/Strength' it makes sense that Alether, Adgana or a Brotherhood Vigour Spell would give you an increased chance because you are that much stronger. So I'd say don't use CS too but allow items that affect your physical strength (CS) to give you a bonus, obviously not CS bonus for weapons.

At one point it says breaking things require tests of 4 for flimsy things or 10 for a sturdy door.

Yet surely this is a brute force test which should require CS, in which case the tests should have 10 added to the difficulty.

And it isn't mentioned anywhere, but since End stats start at 20, shouldn't endurance tests add 20 to the difficulty.

--------
In the climbing example, an easy climb is difficulty 15. Which means that any Kai Lord with CS 15 or more won't have to roll. While even the weakest Kai with CS 10 will have a 50/50 chance.

Taking the extremely difficult sheer wet cliff in a storm, 25 (or 30), an average Kai CS 15 would find it impossible.

---------

The spread of possible CS scores (10-19) makes having a similar spread of difficulties problematic. It either makes things too easy for some Kai Lords or too difficult for others.

While it complicates the game a bit, I would have a physical fitness bonus based on both EP and CS.

eg,
CS 14-16 +1
CS 17-19 +2
End 24-26 +1
End 27-29 +2

And chose the highest of the two. NPCs with CS of less the 10 or End less than 20 could have penalties.

This could be applied to both CS tests and End tests. These tests can then follow the standard test procedure.

Greg Smith said:
--------
Taking the extremely difficult sheer wet cliff in a storm, 25 (or 30), an average Kai CS 15 would find it impossible.

It depends on the Kai Lords rank. A kai lord of rank 16 will have a +8 bonus to his climb Tests from the Hunting Discipline.

I met Joe at the german Role Play Convention today, and he told me that the run of Multiplayer book he had taken with him sold out in the first few hours of the convention.
Sadyl he told me that the Thoran Hammer was left out in his list of the Magnamundian weapons for the Heroes of Magnamund supplement.
Might be a nice idea for a future feature in Signs and Portents though.

Back