Conan Wargame

I did a search of the forums and found no mention of this, not an official Conan Wargame but...

I had a renewed interest in wargames recently and purchased Hordes of the Things 2nd edition rules out of curiosity more than anything. Well I found something in the back with the army lists that Conan fans may take interest in. It seems they have included a section for creating Hyborian armies. So for all those interested in playing a Conan tabletop warfare game you may want to check it out.

FYI, I haven't had a chance to read the rules yet so I cannot say if it's a good or bad game, others who have read/played it are more qualified, plus I don't really want to plug another wargame product on this forum since Mongoose has their own game. Which I recommend you guys try if you get a chance, Mighty Armies is a pretty sweet game, and the price is right. But I will say one last thing about Hott, it works with any miniatures you'd like to use, so you can create your Hyborian armies with whatever you currently use for your Conan games, maybe even a good use for the new Conan Minis coming out in the future besides just and RPG supplement.

Just one question to make things clear: do you talk of game with nimiatures or with die-cut counters?

The product itself is just a rulebook, you provide everything else. I honestly do not know if they make anything else for the line besides the book. It uses bases to represent combat between units. Each base is set up with multiple miniatures. Take a look at the Mighty Armies page to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Technically, it is designed to be played with miniatures, but nothing to stop you from making your own counters and such, and playing with those.

Quick edit: Keep in mind I've never really played the game, and have not read the book yet, just read a bunch of stuff online that peaked my curiosity and for a little over $20 U.S. including shipping, I thought I'd pick it up. I'm just writing from what information I've read and from what I saw from a quick flip through the book. When I read it in more detail I can answer some questions, when I get a chance to play I can answer more. Unfortunately for my gaming time, I work full time and am going to school part time for an MBA, so it may be awhile before I get a chance to do either in great detail.

HOTT is meant for miniatures, but any markers sufficient to distinguish troops can be used. I also have a copy of Royal Armies of the Hyborian Age, by Fantasy Games Unlimited (1978), which has army lists for most of the Hyborian nations; there is (was?) a PBM game called 'Hyborian Wars', run by RSI, but I have no idea if they're still around.

The King said:
Just one question to make things clear: do you talk of game with nimiatures or with die-cut counters?

Hey, King, haven't you learnt from our last discussion. Wargaming is tabletop with toy soldiers. Counters are for boardgames. :wink:

Morreion said:
HOTT is meant for miniatures, but any markers sufficient to distinguish troops can be used. I also have a copy of Royal Armies of the Hyborian Age, by Fantasy Games Unlimited (1978), which has army lists for most of the Hyborian nations; there is (was?) a PBM game called 'Hyborian Wars', run by RSI, but I have no idea if they're still around.

Although ironically it's actually misspelt as Royal Armies of the Hyborean Age, which I always find amusing. Somebody goofed on the proofing.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
The King said:

Hey, King, haven't you learnt from our last discussion. Wargaming is tabletop with toy soldiers. Counters are for boardgames. :wink:
I'am as stubborn as a Briton. :lol: Would you call Squad Leader or the Napoleonic games from Clash of Arms (Vive l'empereur series) a boardgame? Non sense.

The King said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:
The King said:

I'am as stubborn as a Briton. :lol: Would you call Squad Leader or the Napoleonic games from Clash of Arms (Vive l'empereur series) a boardgame? Non sense.

I hate to tell you this but that' *exactly* what they have been called for 30 years.

Mongoose Old Bear said:
The King said:
Mongoose Old Bear said:

I hate to tell you this but that' *exactly* what they have been called for 30 years.
Where were they called that? Their were called wargames in the U.S.
Just have a look at www.grognard.com : Web-Grognards, the site for wargames on the web since 1995. Hundreds of (war)games are listed there.
There are computer wargames, miniature wargames and board wargames, but wargames they are all.
If you go further in naming, board wargames are now often called ConSim (conflict simulation) whereas miniature wargames are called tabletop. :!:

Back