Conan VS standard D&D game

DHRDawg

Mongoose
Heya everyone, I'm new here to the boards and was wanting to know if someone could tell me real quick how different the Conan RPG is different from, say, your standard D&D world like Forgotten Realms, Eberron or Greyhawk?

I'm guessing magic is rarer and of course no elves or dwarves running around, but what else? Anything?

Being a big Conan fan, I've been eye-balling this setting for a while now. I just wasn't sure what the differances the rules had. Is the combat differnet? Magic/Spells? What are some of the significant changes Mongoose made with the d20 system if any?

I recently picked up the book Legend of Kern, Volume 1: Blood of Wolves by Loren L. Coleman and got really inspired by the book. Seems like a very exctiting world to play and GM in.

I'm currently running a Midinight d20 game by Fantasy Flight and before investing in a whole new setting I just wanted to see if any of you experts could tell me a few things about it.

Thanks for the help.

It's a grittier, greedier and far deadlier setting in general (thanks to the tone set by the creator of Conan and the new combat system). I'd say it was more "realistic" than FR, Eberron, or Greyhawk, etc., because it's so obviously based on the real world with just enough monsters and magic thrown in to satisfy fantasy fans and the level of mortality so high. With very little access to magical healing, you don't want to get in too many fights and should be picky about which ones you do enter (not as picky as in an even deadlier and more realistic system like HarnMaster, though, where you can die of infection after being wounded, LOL).

Treasure is often what you can scrounge off the corpses of the men you've killed. Most people wear their wealth, they don't lug it around in convenient bulging sacks of gold. Silver is the standard coin, not gold, anyway. You'll probably just end up spending all your money on equipment upgrades/replacements or frittering it away on wine and women. When your weapons and armor can break in battle, you'll go through a lot of 'em (and they ain't cheap)!

Monsters and magic are rare (that doesn't mean not powerful when you do stumble across them!). The only spellcasting class is the Scholar (and spells are optional even for it; it's a very customizable class). Different religions and wizard's cabals have access to and teach different spells to members only, and these types of group affiliations determine the type of spells you can master unless you go freelance. Magic is generally pretty weak to start but there are some very powerful spells as you level up, but you'll be limited to learning certain spell chains (related spells) due to prerequisites, so it requires more advance planning than other settings.

Since there aren't any playable non-human races, the differences between the types of human ethnicities are stressed (many falling along clearly defined lines of national origin), so WHERE you come from makes a difference on WHO you are and WHAT the people you meet will initially think of you (whether you prove such preconceptions right or wrong). It ties your character into the setting, which, since it is clearly based on Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, gives you a nice stereotype you can play with or against as you see fit. It makes talking in foreign accents easier for the GM and players, LOL... If you want to be something really exotic (and thus the target of hatred no matter where you go, even your hometown, LOL), you can take a feat (or feat chain) to become the mortal spawn of a god or demon... That always goes over well when you get confronted by the endless supply of superstitious peasants, ruthless nobles and jealous priests and wizards that make up the landscape of the Hyborian Age!

I'll leave the detailed explanations of the combat system and other rules differences to someone with more time (and the books in front of them).

If you're going to GM the Conan RPG, please look at my GM's Guide thread, linked below in my signature. It's loaded with cool goodies. 8)

The above post pretty much encapsulated alot of what Conan has to offer. All I can really add is that there are much finer lines defining "alignment". There is no chaotic good or evil (though indeed someone can act within those parameters described by such alignments). Some have codes of honour where certain actions or pursuits are frowned upon, though the majority of the world don't. Its very much dog eat dog in the Conan era.

WOW! Thanks for the detailed post. I'm really excited about getting this setting now. Grim and grittier combat is always good. It seems they pretty much stuck to everything the Conan books are about. Now I just need to break the news to the wife that I need to get some more books ;)

Thanks Iron_Chef & Neeklus!

I put this together for my players on the same subject:

Conan RPG vs D&D

While both Dungeons & Dragons and the Conan RPG are based on D20 mechanics/skills/feats, there are several none-too-subtle differences between the two game system. For those looking for a short primer rather than wanting to read the entire ruleset here are the major differences in a nutshell.

Character Creation

1. All races/cultures have prohibited and favored classes. There is no experience penalty for multiclassing.

2. Prohibited classes cannot be taken at first level, but if given opportunity can be learned later i.e. a landlocked barbarian culture may have Pirate as a Prohibited Class, but could pick up the class later if the character had an opportunity to serve on a ship.

3. Favored classes give you a bonus feat for the first and every 5th level (including combinations of favored classes). So if you have favored classes of scholar and noble, and took Noble at first level, you would get a bonus feat then. If you took three levels in Noble and then two in Scholar then at level 5 you would get another bonus feat, as you have 5 combined levels of favored classes.

4. All races will have several "Background Skills". These are skills you get ranks in before you even apply your your first Class level. These ranks still count towards maximum ranks in class/cross-class skills, so sometimes a racial bonus to skill checks is better than extra ranks if you really want to excel.

5. Skills - Your class' skill points may be used for class skills on 1:1 or cross class skills 2:1. Your skill points for your Intelligence Bonus may be used for any skill 1:1.

6. Magic Attack Bonus - this is like a BAB for magic. It's referenced a lot for Feats and Sorcery Styles

7. Dodge/Parry Bonus - these two values reflect how well you parry (avoid getting hit by deflecting the weapon) or dodge (avoid getting hit by getting out of the way of the weapon) in combat. Armor provides Damage Reduction rather than making you harder to hit, so you'll want to pay attention to these values. Your Parry is modified by your Strength bonus and Dodge is modified by Dexterity bonus.

8. After level 10, you gain a specific number of hit points based on your class rather than a full hit die.

Combat

1. As mentioned above, there is no "Armor Class (AC)" value to target to hit. You choose to defend by Dodge or Parry. Shields add to Parry Defense value. Dodge Defense requires there is room to manuver/roll with the swings, so if there is none there is a penalty to a Dodge defense.

2. Armor (including helmet) provides Damage Reduction, many animals and other creatures will have a base DR from "natural armor" or thick skin. Armor is "a good thing". You can trust to a high dodge/parry to not get hit, but if you do and have no armor - it will hurt.

3. Weapons have an Armor Piercing factor that can, if enough damage is done, partially bypass the DR and concievably even lower the DR until the armor is repaired.

4. Finesse - a special attack can be made to attempt to bypass armor by aiming for unprotected areas or sliding a weapon between plates with certain weapons, notably piercing or pointed slashing weapons. If a finesse attack hits, it ignores the DR from armor.

5. Beware of feints. An attack delivered that catches you unawares, especially a finesse sneak attack from a thief or pirate, can be deadly. Do not ignore the skill Sense Motive at your own peril. There are a few house rules about defensive fighting adding to Sense Motive for watching out for Feints.

Magic

1. The magic (sorcery) system is closer to the D&D Psion "power point system", but most spells are not to be used in combat.

2. Magic is available via two methods, the Dabbler feat, which gives some low level access to various magics and the Scholar class. The Scholar class does not automatically make one a sorcerer. Sorcery styles and Advanced Spells can be spent instead on various other feats and advantages. A Scholar is as likely to be a sage, alchemist, or priest as he is a Sorcerer.

3. The Scholar has several backgrounds (adept, demonic pact, independent, etc) that speak to the source of thier magic.

4. Magic points are regained through rest, meditation, as well as drugs/herbs, sacrifices, etc. Sorcerers have a bad reputation for a reason.

5. While there are "priests", it is more of a religious significance. There is no divine magic that is for channeling healing. i.e. A scholar or priest is not a D&D Cleric. If you get maimed, don't expect someone to lay on hands and have you back to new before you move on. The Healing skill has has several applications and you will recover hit points with rest, but be aware that wounds can be serious.

6. Sorcery - The magic system in the Conan RPG has various "Styles" and "Spells". Think of them as "paths". In taking a new Sorcery Style, say Necromancy, most of the higher level spells, like Death Touch, require either certain Feats or previous spells in the Style be known. Scholars get both "New Sorcery Style" and "Advanced Spell" as class benefits as they level up.

Thanks Diabolus, that helps out a lot. I like what I read about no AC, makes sense. Gotta get this game.

Not to dismiss the helpful posts in this thread, but I think with people used to D&D it's much more effective to introduce Hyborian Age roleplaying, certainly to players, from scratch and as itself rather than in terms of differences from D&D. However much you stress the differences, if someone starts off in a D&D mindset they'll see this game as a variant of D&D, and fill in what you don't tell them with D&D assumptions, when what you want them to do is to jettison those assumptions entirely.

(Same applies to most RPGs, of course.)

How is that a problem especially to one who has a d20 background and wants to know the basic differences? I think it's a good thing to talk in terms of d20 and then to stress the differences. It's the differences that make Conan OGL far superior to d20 in mechanics. The setting is great too but will not appeal to everyone, but the mechanics are what really set this system/setting apart.

Faraer said:
Not to dismiss the helpful posts in this thread, but I think with people used to D&D it's much more effective to introduce Hyborian Age roleplaying, certainly to players, from scratch and as itself rather than in terms of differences from D&D. However much you stress the differences, if someone starts off in a D&D mindset they'll see this game as a variant of D&D, and fill in what you don't tell them with D&D assumptions, when what you want them to do is to jettison those assumptions entirely.

(Same applies to most RPGs, of course.)

Oh, this is no problem with my players, we play a bunch of differnet games with a bunch of differnet genres, d20 and otherwise. One of the games we are currently playing in is a Midnight d20 game which it being low-magic, no clerics and some differenet house rules makes it not your standard D&D game. So my group is used to stuff like that.

I was simply curious, as a GM, to what the differences are, rules-wise and setting-wise that's all.

Close. Fate Points are doled out miserly by the gamemaster, as trhey can be used to be "left for dead" rather than slain outright, or otherwise used to try to influence an adventure or the fate of the character.

By the way, a friend of mine has been talking up the Midnight setting quite a bit. I may have to check it out, but I'm sold on the Conan OGL Rules for my campaign rules-of-choice, even though I'm not using the standard Hyborian setting.

One note about the lethality of Conan and the lack of magical healing:

Characters heal 3 + con modifier + level each day, or
6 + 2 x con modifier + 2 x level with complete rest.

Also, after each combat, each heal skill check can heal 3 + con modifier in hp.

That was a pleasant little surprise for my players when all else seemed so dire.

Ranzadule said:
The setting is great too but will not appeal to everyone, but the mechanics are what really set this system/setting apart.
Not for me. The system is just another d20 iteration, like most of them far too complex and fiddly for my needs. But there's only one Hyborian Age.

Faraer said:
The system is just another d20 iteration, like most of them far too complex and fiddly for my needs.

Ooooo....If not for the last bit I'd say border line blasphemy there, bro. (lol)

Seriously, Conan is a far superior iteration of the d20 core and, in my opinion, really nailed what D&D should have been to begin with. Think about it: D&D has been around for 30 years and suddenly the "real" rules are entirely replaced with the d20 OGL version. Since 3rd edition came out, the whole process has been honing the theory (again, in my opinion) trying to get right what shouldn't have been mucked about with in the first place. Conan solves a lot of the "super hero" aspect that PCs get by the bucketful in D&D, while still retaining the "fantasy hero" feel necessary to such a genre game. Before this, the next best take on the d20 engine (also, in my opinion) was Stargate:SG1, but it sort of fell apart around lethal combat. This is where Conan really shines, particularly because that is precisely the role it's trying to fulfill: emulation of the bloody Hyborian world created by REH. Firearms work great in Stargate:SG1, but because it relies too heavily on the VP/WP system for damage, and an AC system for determination of successful hits, melee combat falls off the other end of the scale. Conan handles this nicely with DR for armor and Massive Damage* that can kill anyone, anytime, anywhere.

* Massive Damage = 20+ points of damage over the DR of the target's armor - forces FORT save (failure = dead; pass = left for dead/dying)

Diabolus said:
By the way, a friend of mine has been talking up the Midnight setting quite a bit. I may have to check it out, but I'm sold on the Conan OGL Rules for my campaign rules-of-choice,.

I’ve only seen the books in the store (midnight) is it any good? would it be difficult to adapt some midnight adventures to Conan? or is it too setting specific?
anything in the midnight setting a good Cimmerian DM could raid ;)

Faraer said:
Ranzadule said:
The setting is great too but will not appeal to everyone, but the mechanics are what really set this system/setting apart.
Not for me. The system is just another d20 iteration, like most of them far too complex and fiddly for my needs. But there's only one Hyborian Age.

Same here. Combat maneuvers are cool, but an extra thing to worry about, have limited use and therefore have to be looked up to remember exactly how they work. Feats (same as in D&D, etc.) have to be poured over to make characters, and again to refresh on what they do. AP is a cool feature, but again, something extra to think about. The general carry-over of d20 rules are difficult to run a smooth game with because of all the little things to look up, e.g., fine details about each skill. This is not meant as a slam on Conan, just noting that there's a lot of rules to learn and look up regularly for characters to do things. While it is nice to have many things defined to help run a tricky situation, it seems that d20 has an overabundance of little things to know or look up. I prefer to focus on running a fun game session, not looking up things, so when a PC wants to do something, e.g., a particular skill, I say look it up on that aspect you want to do and get back to me, while I continue to run things for everyone else to keep the game flowing and fun.

This is not meant as a rant against Conan RPG. The modifications for the Conan game are cool, as noted, and if you are fairly dedicated to the system, probably make for a fun game. This is only amplified by the world setting itself.

Sutek said:
* Massive Damage = 20+ points of damage over the DR of the target's armor - forces FORT save (failure = dead; pass = left for dead/dying)

Are you sure a passed save is left for dead/dying? I thought a passed save (assuming they still have HP) and they could keep up the fight?

Belkregos said:
Diabolus said:
By the way, a friend of mine has been talking up the Midnight setting quite a bit. I may have to check it out, but I'm sold on the Conan OGL Rules for my campaign rules-of-choice,.

I’ve only seen the books in the store (midnight) is it any good? would it be difficult to adapt some midnight adventures to Conan? or is it too setting specific?
anything in the midnight setting a good Cimmerian DM could raid ;)

I think the feel of Midnight is too different from Conan. I really got a Lord of the Rings fantasy feel as opposed to a Howard Sword and Sorcery feel. A gifted DM could probably transfer the adventures over and maintain the Hyborian feel, but it would be a lot more work then I would want to do.

Back