Conan The Defender (new and on sale!)

I see that Amazon has Robert Jordan's Conan The Defender on sale for a $1.94!

CONAN THE DEFENDER

I loved reading all seven of Jordan's Conan novels. He wrote the novelization to the horrible second film, Conan the Destroyer. The book wasn't bad (although I liked it least of Jordan's seven books).

You can't go wrong with this buy (although I know some don't like Jordan's writing--I think he's one of the best non-Howard Conan writers).

He is one of the best non Howard Conan writers.

Just don't bother buying it if you already have C the Triumphant.

kintire said:
He is one of the best non Howard Conan writers.

Just don't bother buying it if you already have C the Triumphant.

I remember you mentioning something about this before. What was the deal? You say it's the same book, just re-written.

I read both of them back in my 20's, and I remember enjoying both of them. In Defender, Conan gets his Free Company at the end. Isn't Triumphant the one where he loses that same Free Comany? Takes place in Ophir, IIRC?

He arrives in [Nemedia/Ophir]. He is looking for work as a mercenary. A local noble [man/woman] is dabbling in sorcery in order to support a coup. Conan becomes involved, and foils it. It is almost exactly the same plot.

Actually, Defender is better because it does have the whole Simulacrum thing which is actually a very intersting plot, whereas Triumphant is the old "Summon a Demon-God" thing. Defender has that as well, of course, but it's the fall back plan.

Back