Conan Sorcery Rules

Arkobla Conn

Mongoose
I started with Conan right at it's inception...and took a break about 9 months ago. The players are interested in getting back into it and I had one question...is 2nd edition sorcery better than 1st edition? First edition was so complicated/not enough that we abandoned sorcery altogether.

What are your thoughts?

Whatever edition you have, be it 1st Edition, Atlantean or 2nd Edition, the rules stay the same for the most part. The main new is the Temptress class from Hyboria's Fallen which is now included as a core class.

No big change in sorcery either, except for clarifications or new variants like Defensive Blasts per Sorcery Style...

For a more complete list of the changes in the 2nd Edition, be sure to check Thulsa's site, hyboria.xoth:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/rules/changes_in_conan_second_edition.htm

The sorcery option in Conan is what sets it apart from other games. And this I think comes from how sorcery was used in REH books. It takes getting use to and needs some practice.

In my campain, we did a dry run thru on sorcery to get a bit of practice. And I don't make it that common in the campaign. But it definatly makes for great flavour in the Conan system.

I have not really noticed any differences between the two systems (1st or 2nd). I read that they are approx 97% compatable between the two systems.

Just my thoughts. 8)

The only thing they need to do to fix sorcerers is allow more spells. Thoth-Amon knew hundreds of spells, this one per level stuff is ridiculous and flies right in the face of canon.

squidyak said:
The only thing they need to do to fix sorcerers is allow more spells. Thoth-Amon knew hundreds of spells, this one per level stuff is ridiculous and flies right in the face of canon.

Like the savant option of Thulsa. Either that OR another valid option is making each spell much more versatile and skill-like, rather than a single trick effect. If each spell is really only going to encompass single effects like they pretty much do now, they should be easier to come by I agree.

I'ved always viewed the spells the sorcerer gets from his class as just automatic spells. i've always allowed them to learn from scrolls, books and masters. hell ive even allowed the sorcerer in my group to casts spells he doesnt even have yet but at a ridiculous cost.

I guess I've never really understood the arguement that the only way to have sorcery rules suitable for Conan is to have a set of rules with as many mechanical problems as the official rules have.

The sorcery / magic style [in Conan] is designed to fit the genre, I would not want to transplant a style from other games into it. There are still carry-overs from earlier games in such concepts as fixed lists of spells and spells grouped by type or school. There is definitely a need to move ahead in this area of games design, to allow players the ability to build an individual sorcerer whilst maintaining game balance.

Some concepts which have game-world relevance are good others are 'meta-game' ideas used to preserve play balance, these need to move to being game-world ideas.

On the whole the system in Conan is good for the game, it is still to prescriptive and could be improved by allowing more 'basic spells' or putting in options to exchange starting feats for extra styles at character creation and buying basic spells with skill points for example.

Thoughts of mine

Evil_Trevor said:
I would not want to transplant a style from other games into it.

Just for curiousity's sake, is there anyone in this thread who does want to transplant a style from other games into Conan?

LilithsThrall said:
Evil_Trevor said:
I would not want to transplant a style from other games into it.

Just for curiousity's sake, is there anyone in this thread who does want to transplant a style from other games into Conan?

Well, personally I don't favor the d20 system. Conan is the only d20 system I'm willing to play which speaks more to my appreciation of Conan and the Hyborian Age than anything else, though I do have high praise for the various modifications that Mongoose has made to the system. Likely my love of Conan would have been outweighed by dislike of d20 had they done a poorer job.

That said.

My favorite RPG, hands down, is Ars Magica ( shameless plug here. ).

It is a non-d20 game that focuses on wizards and therefore has a rather robust skill-based magic system. It is the natural benchmark of reference I think of when I'm comparing magic systems.

There are a few core concepts that I like about it that I feel could transfer into Conan... but would entail a complete rewrite of the magic system. Note that isn't an advocation for changing the system to something other than d20. I agree, Mongoose Conan d20 just seems to work and give the right feel to the game. Sorcery is the only area of the game I think could use some refinement, though I don't think the sorcery system as it stands is 'horrible'.... it isn't. It is certainly playable, and even wonderfully so at times ( the genericness and flexibility of the scholar class I think is fantastic for instance )... but I feel it could be refined into something better with some work.

The core concepts I like from Ars Magica that I think could be transported are rather simple.

A. ) Magic relies on knowledge. You have skills that directly reflect your knowledge of different areas of magic. In Ars this is reflected in a combination of 'Techniques' and 'Forms', so you 'Verb'+'Object' to get your skill check to cast something. A similar thing could be worked for Conan to have skills based on the various sorcery styles for instance, or perhaps something more intricate... I'm not sure. It depends on how in-depth and complicated you want the magic system to be.

B. ) Formulaic Spells. They are firmly researched/learned effects that you know exactly what your difficulty numbers are to throw and your character has spent time learning etc. This would be your standard repertoire of effects. You make your skill check, you pay your PP, and presto blamo that upstart barbarian's heart is in your hand. Well... you can let him roll a saving throw if you really want to. :wink:

C. ) Spontaneous Spells. This is a big one, but not as empowering as you might think. Basically you can use your magic skills to check and cast something you don't have researched/learned as a formulaic, but it is much much harder, and in the Conan system using PPs likely more expensive as well.

For this to work the design of spells/effects based on the magic skills needs to be clearly delineated in a generic/flexible way. So you look at the chart for what you can do with a given level divination skill for instance, make your check, pay your PPs, and presto blamo... Miss Sleek Hotness better be wearing a lead shift or you are Mr. Happy. Well. You get the idea.

The point is that a skill-based system like this could work in a d20 framework, though it would take a fair ammount of design work and take up some room in a book. There are also some thematic decisions to make based on the setup and application of the magical skills and where you get your magic skill points to buy them up. I'd favor using a seperate pool of 'Mystic Arts' points that can only be used on those and those and regular skill points are totally seperate and you can not spend one on the other. But that is just me.

Thoughts?

I really like the concept. Knowledge should be what opens up spells, rather than a class feature, or perhaps in addition to it.

Lets say keep the sorcery styles as is at the class levels.

Instead of "advanced spells" have "Max sorcery knowledge rank" and allow skills like "Knowledge: Prestidigitation" that open up spells. Each sorcery style would have various spells that are unlocked at certain knowledge ranks.

Drawback is that it would need some sort of limitation to prevent every single sorcerer look the same. Maybe along the lines of the fencing knowledge skills, where every 5 ranks allowed a pick of an ability.

squidyak said:
Ars Magica has some good ideas, but is far too easily broken. It would need a lot of work before it's a playable system.

:shock:

:evil:

Heresy.

Well. That and rather generic and thus difficult to debate beyond a generic and childish 'No it isn't!' blah blah. So... Blah.

Sorry, that's just been my experience. I accidentally made a swordsman who was absolutely unbeatable by any non-wizard, and another player in my group made a wizard who could crush armies with very little effort. These were beginning characters. The others in my group were able to look past that because we aren't power gamers and are quite capable of limiting ourselves so as not to break the system, and the elegance of the spell system made it up to them. For me, I prefer a system that doesn't break so easy. I really would like to see a good adaptation of the spell system though. I thought about making some feats for techniques and forms, but coming up with a good conversion that isn't broken just seems like too much effort.

squidyak said:
Sorry, that's just been my experience. I accidentally made a swordsman who was absolutely unbeatable by any non-wizard, and another player in my group made a wizard who could crush armies with very little effort. These were beginning characters. The others in my group were able to look past that because we aren't power gamers and are quite capable of limiting ourselves so as not to break the system, and the elegance of the spell system made it up to them. For me, I prefer a system that doesn't break so easy. I really would like to see a good adaptation of the spell system though. I thought about making some feats for techniques and forms, but coming up with a good conversion that isn't broken just seems like too much effort.

I think your view of 'broken' has some vestiges of views from other games lingering in it. Wizards are just powerful in Ars. Much more powerful than in most games. Smashing apart a group of mundanes with no supernatural protection should be no big deal for a newbie mage who focuses on combat. Or any older mage for that matter. That is an expected part of the setting. Wizards rock, and the game is about them. Interaction and questing in the supernatural world, in the backdrop of a historical europe. Mundane opposition, for the most part, is not to be taken seriously if you are prepared for it. That said there are ways that a noble can garner enough divine might/faith etc. plus bonuses from a relic that he can resist magic decently. Also the code prohibits interfering in the mundane world as a crusade, backed by the church, is an entirely different ballgame... in which even older magi would have problems. It is just a very different dynamic. There is no attempt to balance magi with non magi, the system just isn't designed that way.

Back