[CONAN] Snapping up the Rulebooks

Storm Front

Mongoose
Hi all,

I'm brand new here but I've been frequenting the forums to check up on the list of the Conan RPG line. I discovered in a nearby gaming store that they are selling many books of the second edition and the Atlantean Edition. I've so far only bought the 2nd Edition rulebook and The Return to the Road of Kings. However there are quite a few Atlantean Edition books and I was curious what were the differences between those and the 2nd Edition besides the colored pages and whatnot. As far as I know they have the 2nd Edition Beastiary left (including the player's guide and Cities of Hyborea for the 2nd E.) and well around the majority of the Atlantean set.

What I'm asking is how much of a difference is there between the two lines? (If that all makes any sense.) Suffice to say I plan on buying as many as I can but if there isn't much difference between them then it'll help save me money.

Thanks in advance.

8)

Yeah, when I started my campaign, I bought the entire game line. The books are just going to get harder and harder to get, so, I recommend getting all that you can.

Get ready to pay through the nose- the hardcovers are $100+ for 2nd Ed rules.
If someone knows of a better deal, they are welcome to let me know!

Nialldubh said:
Good stuff, if you enjoy Conan, you will find 99% good stuff within these books, good ideas and useful help.

Atlantean Edition books are also a superbly done with there designs, just flicking through the pages is a treat as it a work of Art!
I myself was really surprised at the difference in quality when I flipped through several of the Atlantean Edition books. Very well done indeed. Also the colored maps of Hyboria were great to look at.

carthaginian said:
Got mine for 40 bucks. I believe the Atlantean books were about half the price... gonna have to double check later this week.

carthaginian said:

If you're patient and keep looking, you'll find deals. Keep looking at used books stores.

Nialldubh said:
Maps: Yeah, love the maps in AE, but 2E map are (gee try to me nice here, but) an abomination. Still with new description and added Cultures the 2E Return to Road of Kings and AE maps works well together!

I both both AE and 2E.

AE is definitely the better looking book. But, 2E is the better rule set. The tweaks they made in 2E are "mostly" for the better.

Supplement Four said:
carthaginian said:

If you're patient and keep looking, you'll find deals. Keep looking at used books stores.

If you find a bookstore with one of these books- especially the 2nd Ed rules- PLEASE shoot me a PM with the info. There are no game stores within 60 miles of me, and any used book store around here wouldn't take game books because they don't 'cater to that crowd.'

Mostly, I have to hope someone wants to sell their own stock- but those people always know what they are worth. :wink:

Maybe buy the core books that you need for your game and pdf's for the rest? That may be a cost effective way to go. And, you can keep your eyes open, snapping up books for an acceptible price when you find them.

Amazon Market is all over the place, but I have found some good deals. Just keep checking. Used books. Also check used bookstores on the net.

Supplement Four said:
Maybe buy the core books that you need for your game and pdf's for the rest? That may be a cost effective way to go. And, you can keep your eyes open, snapping up books for an acceptible price when you find them.

Amazon Market is all over the place, but I have found some good deals. Just keep checking. Used books. Also check used bookstores on the net.

Where you could buy pdf versions? Drivehthru took them out when license ran out didn't it? Any store that would still have them available as pdf?

carthaginian said:
If you find a bookstore with one of these books- especially the 2nd Ed rules- PLEASE shoot me a PM with the info.

Dude! Do some shopping!

I googled ebay and found this in about 1.5 minutes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Conan-The-R...381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4601960fcd

That's a link to an eBay auction for Shem, Heretics, Argos & Zingara, and Finest--ALL FOUR BOOKS FOR $33.99 BUY IT NOW!

Auction ends in 3 hours...I'll PM you.

And, these are all brand new books, never used, perfect condition.

Hit the link to see the guy's other stuff, he's got some GREAT deals on Conan RPG stuff, including both box sets for under $16 bucks each.

DO SOME SHOPPING!

Only book I'm worried about is the core book. Thanks for the link, but we have all the supplements for both editions- my group just needs another copy of the core book and I'm the 'money guy.'

I could use another 2E Core book, too. If you find a couple reasonable (say...less than $50 bucks), let me know. I'll pick another one up.

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to all. I'll be dropping by the store today to see. Most of the 2E are in blue and the AE are in red yes? If I'm lucky I'll be picking up the Beastiary and one of the Scrolls of Skelos books. Not sure what others were there with the AE however :( I'll double check, write down what's there and list it all later for everyone :)

Alright, like I said, I'll put up a "list" of the books currently at the store I found them in:

For the Atlantean Edition (I nearly came out with the Finest, Fiercest, and Fallen books):
AE-GamesofBerkeley.jpg

The remaining 2nd Edition books (I bought The Beastiary of The Hyborian Age and Secrets of Skelos when I hit the store):
2E-GamesofBerkeley.jpg

These are all found at Games of Berkeley in Berkeley California, USA.

Happy Hunting 8)

Back