Conan RPG Pocket Edition

I feel there should be some way to increase Concentration, as this could actually be very important to casting a spell for a Scholar. When casting a spell, such Concentration can overcome or forgo normal Will and Fortitude checks. It would have a lot to do with the magical nature of the thing. What I mean is, Concentration is a "magical" skill/feat so it does not adhere to normal rules, as it were. Even if the Scholar's Will or Fortitude is low, his Concentration would make up for that lack. Afterall, Scholars are not really known for their incredible physiques.

Good point. Maybe I'll change it back to Concentration as a skill, but let the player pick the lowest of either his CON or WIS abilities as the base. That way it fits the whole "physical/mental" hybrid, my little rule of the weakest of the two being picked, and yet allows for faster levelling up. I just started playing so it's not too late.

CimmerianMan said:
My concerns have been that I don't see the cover of the pocket addition with the "Atlantian Edition" logo. So I've been holding off on picking it up.

Are they all now the Atlantian Editions?

IIRC, they were only the Atlantean editions.

dunderm said:
I feel their should be some way to increase Concentration, as this could actually be very important to casting a spell for a Scholar. When casting a spell, such Concentration can overcome or forgo normal Will and Fortitude checks. It would have a lot to do with the magical nature of the thing. What I mean is, Concentration is a "magical" skill/feat so it does not adhere to normal rules, as it were. Even if the Scholar's Will or Fortitude is low, his Concentration would make up for that lack. Afterall, Scholars are not really known for their incredible physiques.

Without having willpower, one can't concentrate. The mind can overcome the body issues to enable this. And Scholars do get to increase their ability to concentrate under my preferred alternative of using the save instead of a skill, because as they gain levels, they gain bonuses to their will save.

Nobody buys a low concentration skill for a mage, so there is no need to worry about needing to increase concentration, since everyone will have it maxed, and add a point at each level gain, so it is effectively lock-step for the skill, just as it is if it were merely based on the will save.

slaughterj said:
CimmerianMan said:
My concerns have been that I don't see the cover of the pocket addition with the "Atlantian Edition" logo. So I've been holding off on picking it up.

Not quite they weren't. The Pocket Edition is based off the AE text but has some material removed, I'm not sure which bits.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
slaughterj said:
CimmerianMan said:

Not quite they weren't. The Pocket Edition is based off the AE text but has some material removed, I'm not sure which bits.

LBH

Not quite yourself.

The issue was whether they were original versions or Atlantean editions. It is my recollection that there were no original versions, that the pocket guide was only based on the Atlantean edition. There was no question as to whether it contained everything from the Atlantean edition, so I did not address that, however, I started a thread on this site that does note various differences between the Atlantean edition and the pocket guide: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php As you'll note, not only does it have some material removed, it includes some material not in the Atlantean edition. But this is much more than the poster asked for.

slaughterj said:
lastbesthope said:
slaughterj said:

LBH

Not quite yourself.

The issue was whether they were original versions or Atlantean editions.

Exactly, and that's the question I answered, the 'Original' version only appeared in hardback, yes. But the pocket edition, whilst based on the Atlantean edition text, does have some AE sections missing. a subtlety that I felt had not been adequately made clear. Hence my post, didn't mean it to be personal, I was just quoting the relevant parts of the thread.

LBH

Yogah of Yag said:
ricardo440 said:
wow you sound like me reading Shadowrun 4.

The religion thing is mostly in the religion chapter, which I guess is left out of the pocket book.

Also remember that Conan used the OGL D20 system. That means that you are supposed to have the D&D PHB DMG to play.

Or you can use http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

I have the PHB, MM and DMG and haven't had any need for them in recent memory. www.d20srd.org works just fine to answer any Q's that the AE cant handle.

HI.

...You don't need any other D20 rulebook to play Conan RPG Atlantean edition (or the pocket edition). This is why I bought it. This was my 1st question for Mongoose, before buying it. If you look carefully books that need a core D20 book (PHB, for instance) always mention it somewhere on the cover (at least if the company's legit).

Comparing the 2:
The pocket ed has no illos & most "sidebars" are replaced badly & there are a couple of chapters missing (one's the Gazeteer I believe, because of the lack of maps would make it confusing/useless) & the index is bad. I use this book mainly for my players to consult about rules.

Aurikalko

dunderm said:
Page 28, a lot of gods for Cimmerians are listed. I recall Conan only saying that "Crom" despises weakness. Not much said about the other gods of this pantheon. I think the authors are taking "artistic" license here.

Hi.

REH had notes on several Cimmerian gods besides Crom. Mostly based on Celtic ones (the Cimmerians were REH's version of the British Celts). I don't recall any of them being put in the stories, tho'. Maybe he would've eventually put them in stories if he hadn't killed himself.

A nice Mongoose touch. Good research.

Aurikalko

slaughterj said:
lastbesthope said:
slaughterj said:

LBH

Not quite yourself.

The issue was whether they were original versions or Atlantean editions. It is my recollection that there were no original versions, that the pocket guide was only based on the Atlantean edition. There was no question as to whether it contained everything from the Atlantean edition, so I did not address that, however, I started a thread on this site that does note various differences between the Atlantean edition and the pocket guide: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/forum.php As you'll note, not only does it have some material removed, it includes some material not in the Atlantean edition. But this is much more than the poster asked for.

However it is certainly appreciated! Thank you.

slaughterj said:
As you'll note, not only does it have some material removed, it includes some material not in the Atlantean edition. But this is much more than the poster asked for.

Sorry sluaghterj, I hadn't realised that the PE contained stuff not in aE, I only have the PE.

My bad.

LBH

I'm glad they put out Conan PE. May not have come around to buy the full version otherwise. And the index is pretty limited as was said earlier.

One of the authors did say he didn't write the part on flanking, or something like that-I forget what; correctly. Kind of left the explaination a little short of detail. But that can be forgiven. Afterall, some sacrifice has to be made to par down the PE version. Can't fit in the pocket otherwise-field jacket pocket that is. :D

lastbesthope said:
slaughterj said:
As you'll note, not only does it have some material removed, it includes some material not in the Atlantean edition. But this is much more than the poster asked for.

Sorry sluaghterj, I hadn't realised that the PE contained stuff not in aE, I only have the PE.

My bad.

LBH

Not a problem, I was just directing my initial thread response to the specific question posed, then you expanded, so I expanded further! :D

Back