Conan reviewed!

A fair review you've made; however, this is my favorite Conan "review"---taken from some poster on RPG.Net!

Conan rocks so hard he makes me want to go back in time and shoot myself in the head. The question that people should be asking is "why did it take a new rpg to get us talking about Conan?"

Iron_Chef, is there any current printing of Howard's original manuscripts? I grew up with the 60's-vintage Ace paperbacks that had been edited by deCamp and Lin Carter, and other than a few crappy pastiches, that's all I've read.

Then again, I need to get new books anyway, since those old Ace paperbacks are starting to really show their age (Since my dad bought them and read them to death, then I did the same).

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian was just published by Del Ray. These are unedited original Conan stories by Robert E Howard.

Johannixx said:
Iron_Chef, is there any current printing of Howard's original manuscripts?

Yes! THE COMING OF CONAN THE CIMMERIAN (Del Rey Books) is the first volume of the Howard originals, with beautiful illustrations throughout by Marc Schultz. Includes copies of Howard's original maps, notes, and other miscellenia. $14.95 Trade Paperback. Get it at Amazon for $10.

Johannixx said:
Iron_Chef, is there any current printing of Howard's original manuscripts? I grew up with the 60's-vintage Ace paperbacks that had been edited by deCamp and Lin Carter, and other than a few crappy pastiches, that's all I've read.

Then again, I need to get new books anyway, since those old Ace paperbacks are starting to really show their age (Since my dad bought them and read them to death, then I did the same).

AFAIK, there are currently two separate publications in print:

The Conan Chronicles: Published by Gollancz Publishing (UK) in two volumes. Reprints every REH Conan story published, plus drafts and fragments. Stories are presented in order to Conan's career.

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian: DelRey Publishing (US). Reprints 13 REH Conan stories, presented in order of publication. Includes drafts and fragments.

My editor has informed me that Mongoose has been kind enough to allow some of the Conan artwork to be included with the review, which helps reinforce my argument that the look and feel of the book is one of its greatest assets. Yay Mongoose!

Back