Conan Feat: Weapon Panache(General)

I am working on an exhausting list of all the Conan Feats. I have recently come across the feat - Weapon Panache(General) in the Shadizar boxed set. Couple of questions here:

1.) Has anyone used it?
2.) Does anyone (besides me) feel that it may be a bit too powerful and somewhat unbelievable?

The thought of a fighter type being able to use their charisma bonus to enhance their atack rolls seem....well....just wrong! Come on. I know that fighting at higher levels is mostly a mental game but is there really any justfication to support this?

An easy answer is to prohibit the feat from my campaign but I am of the belief that more is better. So, with some input from the group I will at the very least modify this.

One idea that I had is that the bonus only lasts x rounds and begins to decline as the opponent fails to agree with the Panached warrior that his skills are superior. So either a hard fast duration that I may attach to level or a declining bonus by # rounds. Another limitation may be to limit it only to certain races?

Any help here?

HLD

I'm not familiar with it. You mean that a combatant can apply CHA to attacks? I'm not sure how having white, straight teeth and good cheekbones contributes to fencing skills. :roll: :D

Yogah of Yag said:
I'm not familiar with it. You mean that a combatant can apply CHA to attacks? I'm not sure how having white, straight teeth and good cheekbones contributes to fencing skills. :roll: :D

For those without the benefit of the book (oh the shame....), here is the description of the feat:

Weapon Panache(General)
You have deadly confidence in your ability and fighting style. Combat is little more than a game to you.
Prerequisites: Proficient with weapon, base attack bonus +1 or higher
Benefits: Choose one type of one-handed melee weapon, such as a short sword. You are so brash and self-confident when wielding this weapon that you gain a bonus on attack rolls. With the selected weapon, you may add your Charisma bonus modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different weapon.

Straight white teeth? You are confusing Charisma with Comeliness. The feat allows the character to use the force of his personality to essentially intimidate the other person, making him easier to hit.

"...you may add your Charisma bonus modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls..."

The feat is for low-strength flashy types.

Mad Dog

I've read the Feat from Book Two "Secrets of the Streets", page 16 of the Shadizar set - and I don't think that it is too powerful at all.

It substitutes the PC's Strength modifier with their Charisma modifier - and that's only with a selected one-handed weapon type.

Maybe if the Opponent makes a convincing Sense Motive vs the PC's total attack roll, then they can negate the bonus, as they've "worked out" your attack technique ???

Maybe this formula can be twiddled somewhat .... Has Anyone got any refinements or opinions to offer.

Otherwise, I think that the Feat is fine. Combat between fighters IS a bit of a mind-game, as anyone who has fought as a martial artist, sword-based military re-enactor or similar may encounter.

There is lots of anticipation, bluff, trickery, intimidation and so on within swordplay (besides skill, technique, natural dexterity, and experience).

Sometimes it pays to watch the eyes - rather than the blade ....

LokiOne

LokiOne said:
I've read the Feat from Book Two "Secrets of the Streets", page 16 of the Shadizar set - and I don't think that it is too powerful at all.

It substitutes the PC's Strength modifier with their Charisma modifier - and that's only with a selected one-handed weapon type.

Maybe if the Opponent makes a convincing Sense Motive vs the PC's total attack roll, then they can negate the bonus, as they've "worked out" your attack technique ???

Maybe this formula can be twiddled somewhat .... Has Anyone got any refinements or opinions to offer.

Otherwise, I think that the Feat is fine. Combat between fighters IS a bit of a mind-game, as anyone who has fought as a martial artist, sword-based military re-enactor or similar may encounter.

There is lots of anticipation, bluff, trickery, intimidation and so on within swordplay (besides skill, technique, natural dexterity, and experience).

LokiOne

Agreed. Until the battle becomes more than a few quick rounds. Trickery and intimidation usually only lasts until blood is drawn and then the true test of the combatants is drawn. I understand the concept of the feat. I just have a hard time awarding the same bonus to a fighter for flashiness as those who have trained themselves to fight by improving upon either their dexterity (agility) or strength. Good stuff though. Keep it coming.

Check Hyboria's Finest. there are 2 Feats in there, 1 for using Wisdom and another for Intelligence. I think they are good options for characters since with the core Conan rules you can use either Strength or Dexterity to hit.

LokiOne said:

LokiOne

Ahem.. speaking as one whose done a bit of fencing, both sport and historic, you never want to watch the blade. You never want to watch the eyes. Best thing to do is to not focus your eyes at all but to try to take in the entire combatant, which can be quite a trick in and of itself.

As for the feat at hand, I don't see as it being too powerful or out of place. Actually, it is rather fitting for certain types of combatants (Zingaran nobles,etc.) who might be more of a liability than a boon in a fight because they have high Charisma as opposed to Str or Dex.

I don't think it's powerful at all. It only lets you use Cha instead of Str. It looks like a good feat for a noble or a con man (thief).

I agree with what sounds like the general concensus, I think it's a fine feat. I don't have Shadizar yet, but by the looks of it, the feat doesn't look over powered at all.

SS

Tegman said:
I don't think it's powerful at all. It only lets you use Cha instead of Str. It looks like a good feat for a noble or a con man (thief).

Actually it is a GREAT feat for a noble or thief but why should they have the same advantage as a soldier or a barbarian to strike an opponent?

High Lord Dee said:
Actually it is a GREAT feat for a noble or thief but why should they have the same advantage as a soldier or a barbarian to strike an opponent?

Err... because you have a martial noble? OR a swaggering, dagger twirling thief? Note that it provides what is essentially a one-time bonus, that a soldier and barbarian's attacks still scale faster than either the noble and the thief, and that the bonus comes at the expense of a feat slot, as opposed to the STR based soldier or barbarian who gets the bonus by default. I guess I don't see it being the same advantage very much at all.

Just wanted to remind the feat just allows to use Charisma to the attack roll, while Strength adds to attack roll, weapon damage and parry bonus.

Veredict: Not unbalanced.

VincentDarlage said:
Straight white teeth? You are confusing Charisma with Comeliness. The feat allows the character to use the force of his personality to essentially intimidate the other person, making him easier to hit.

I was teasing. Sit down, take a stress pill and chill. :D

Well i kind of like the feat... but i have just one question... does it work while finnessing, the problem here is that while finnessing you use your dex mod? About the ratial limitations... i think it would be nice to have something kind of like fighting madness but for the other races...

Like Cha as bonus to damage and attack roll,as a feat to zingarians...

And when finnessing if they passed DR+DV+10 they would be able to sneak attack, as a feat to zamorians...

A feat that added Dex as bonus to damage, and enabling the shot of one other arrow at -5 for bossonian and shemite

something like that...

I don´t see Weapon Panache as too powerfull...

High Lord Dee said:
Tegman said:

because theyd get raped by some cimmerian with an axe, do you wanna get raped? cause i sure dont

Back