Conan Doyle and the "Case of the Puzzling Plural"

Yogah of Yag

Mongoose
In Scandinavian languages, Vanir and AEsir are plurals, but how would you lads (and lasses) refer to one individual of those groups? I know that the singular for AEsir is áss [which sounds like Cockney for "house"].

Saying "My PC is a Vanir Barbarian" does not sound all too grammatical.
"My PC is a Barbarian of the Vanir" would be fine, I suppose.

Also, I have noticed two different spellings: Nordheimer and Nordheimir. Is there a correct spelling or do they each mean something separate?

Yogah of Yag said:
Also, I have noticed two different spellings: Nordheimer and Nordheimir. Is there a correct spelling or do they each mean something separate?

One is plural and one is singular, IIRC

Yogah of Yag said:
In Scandinavian languages, Vanir and AEsir are plurals, but how would you lads (and lasses) refer to one individual of those groups? I know that the singular for AEsir is áss [which sounds like Cockney for "house"].

What about "Van" as the singular form of "Vanir" ? (Doesn't sound too good, though...)

I think I have seen the term Vanir-man (ie "man of the Vanir") being used as well.

- thulsa

Thulsa: Thanks for the suggestions. I've admired your Hyborian Age website for a few years now. Some of the illustrations look like they are from comics. Are they from Savage Sword of Conan, or other sources? I'm afraid I am not much of an authority on comics, though. Anyway, great site. 8)

Yogah of Yag said:
Thulsa: Thanks for the suggestions. I've admired your Hyborian Age website for a few years now. Some of the illustrations look like they are from comics. Are they from Savage Sword of Conan, or other sources? I'm afraid I am not much of an authority on comics, though. Anyway, great site. 8)

Thanks! :)

Yes, the images are from the Conan comics by Marvel. I must say I much prefer the clean look of the black-and-white comics as compared to Dark Horse's new "rough look" in color (although I do collect the Dark Horse series).

By the way, there's a page here that contains direct links to most of the images on the site, useful if you're looking for something specific:

http://hyboria.xoth.net/gallery/index.htm

- thulsa

I agree, you've had a very impressive site which I've also gone to again and again.

Your notes on the TSR Conan:Unchained adventure inspired me to get it (via Ebay; I'd gotten rid of all my old gaming books when I moved to a closet-sized apt in NYC a decade ago), and then I OCR'd it into a Word doc, which I was cleaning up. (Reading the adventure again, I realize the things I didn't like about it originally, but you could use elements of it in a half a dozen different adventures). Anyways, your site's very nice indeed.

throrII said:
Done time, eh???

Hilarious, mate. :lol:
No. A miserable rooming-house in my old college days.
Nice guess, though.
And, by the way, let's leave the comedy to the professionals, shall we? :roll:

thulsa said:
Yogah of Yag said:

What about "Van" as the singular form of "Vanir" ? (Doesn't sound too good, though...)

I think I have seen the term Vanir-man (ie "man of the Vanir") being used as well.

- thulsa

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æsir) gives: Æsir: singular Áss, feminine Ásynja, feminine plural Ásynjur.

It's not so clear for Vanir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanir); however, in the text, Van is used in passing, but without comment.

Gr.,
Ant

Ant said:
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Æsir) gives: Æsir: singular Áss, feminine Ásynja, feminine plural Ásynjur.

Huh, huh, he said Ass! huh, huh.

180px-Beavis_and_butthead.jpg

Sorry Ant, my gaming group have been posting Beavis & Butt-head replies on our group web page, so when I saw your post it just struke me to post my above reply. :oops:

Very interesting reply you had, sorry to make light of it, but long days lend me this mood.

Back