Conan After-Action Report

Evilschemer

Mongoose
Conan After-Action Report

After having run 12-sessions of Conan, I offer the following critique and lessons learned.

Critique: The writing, character creation, combat rules, and magic system do an excellent job at capturing the feel of the stories. However, ...

Character creation has far too many situation-specific bonuses and penalties and exceptions such as "+2 only in the desert" or "-2 while on foot" or "..unless you possess the Gouge feat" etc.. Individually, they're okay and logical. But taken as a whole, there are a LOT of them to keep track of, and almost all are cumulative, but some only in one circumstance and others in another circumstance. It becomes unneccesarily burdomsome. Many of the feats in the sourcebooks, such as "Choke", would be better as Combat Maneuvers.

The Combat maneuvers, Finesse Attacks, and Death Save are excellent genre-appropriate additions. There are, however, some new options that are easily unbalancing. "Feint + Sneak Attack + Death Save = Instant Kill!" makes Thieves more combat effective than soldiers. Also, the Combat Maneuvers don't kick in early enough. The Finesse Attacks are still very difficult to pull off. Archery is completely ineffective against armor.

The sourcebook information is excellent and filled with lots of information. However, the main rulebook needs more generic human NPC's, city maps, and adventure ideas or hooks.

Which leads me to a big lesson learned: Start small and local. Give the players places they WANT to explore.

Conan stories are episodic, story-driven, and lead from locale to locale. Unfortunately, RPG stories don't always work like Conan stories, so some adaptation has to be made. I ran my game as a story-driven adventure with lots of travel and political intrigue, just like the Conan stories. I even adapted some Conan stories into my campaign. Unfortunately, the players, with a lone exception, had never read any Conan stories and were more accustomed to D&D locale-specific dungeon-driven games. The players just didn't care about the world or what options they had, thus their choices were random and lacked any enthusiasm.

In thinking back on old D&D games, the thing that made the players interested in the world was having a map of the local area in front of them with interesting sounding locations that made the players WANT to go there, if just to see what it was like there. "Tower of Death? Sounds cool! Let's go check it out!" Also, by starting small and staying in roughly the same place, the players get to meet and know NPCs on a recurring basis and foreign political intrigue holds no interest to the player. By travelling all the time, it's hard to meet an NPC more than once. Knowing NPC's adds incredible depth to a campaign and adds to a sense of place and increases enthusiasm for the world and its stories. Local political intrigue is much more important to the player than plots involving people they just met.

Next time, if I get to run Conan again, I'll keep it local and give the players a map of the local area. I'll keep the NPC's consistent and involve the players and their characters in local political intrigue rather than have them stumble into intrigue while travelling.

Evilschemer said:
There are, however, some new options that are easily unbalancing. "Feint + Sneak Attack + Death Save = Instant Kill!" makes Thieves more combat effective than soldiers.

By "Death Save", I assume you're referring to the Massive Damage rules. I've run into the same thing with my players, whose characters all have some levels of pirate or thief. The 12th-level pirate took down a demon in ONE ROUND by successfully feinting, rolling greater than 20 on sneak attack dice, and my rolling poorly on the demon's fortitude save. The first time, it seems pretty cool; when they're cutting down beasties in a single round on a regular basis, it sort of destroys any dramatic tension.

This, you see, was after I lectured them that Conan was a lot deadlier than regular D20 games. In several Howard stories, Conan opts to sneak -- or outright run -- away from the thing that would be stupid to fight.

I fixed it in a few ways.

* I made a house rule that the Massive Damage save threshold is equal to the target's Con. Now, a strong character with an arming sword can roll 11 points of damage and kill the average guy on the street, which seems reasonable for PC adventurers to be able to do. It also means that big nasties don't get insta-killed as easily.

*I cranked up the Con of creatures that should be harder to kill. Badass demon with a Con of 15? No no no... try a Con of 25. That ups their Fort saves as well.

*I started giving important human foes (like experienced soldiers) more ranks in Sense Motive to make Feinting harder.

* I use the characters' Reputations against them: "Watch out, that's Devega the Argossian! He's known for faking to his left and catching you in the ribs on the backswing!". Heh heh. Good news, Devega, they've heard of you!

*I started to occassionally add in monsters with no Con score, like Devil in Iron-type constructs and undead, and ruled that the Massive Damage rules don't apply to creatures with no Con.

*I started enforcing Corruption saves whenever something horrifc does damage to a character. Get bitten by a demon? Clawed by that oozing horror? Better make a Corruption save, lest the Cooties of Evil infect you. It makes them a bit more reluctant to charge right into hack and slash mode.

UncleBear said:
Evilschemer said:
There are, however, some new options that are easily unbalancing. "Feint + Sneak Attack + Death Save = Instant Kill!" makes Thieves more combat effective than soldiers.

Did the lower average damage ratings not curb this getting out of hand? Personally, I don't have a problem with it since it (A) is still tough to do and (B) it results in "Left For Dead" rather than actual death. You can always pull the "he got better" tactic out of your hat. (lol)

UncleBear said:
* I made a house rule that the Massive Damage save threshold is equal to the target's Con. Now, a strong character with an arming sword can roll 11 points of damage and kill the average guy on the street, which seems reasonable for PC adventurers to be able to do. It also means that big nasties don't get insta-killed as easily.

*I cranked up the Con of creatures that should be harder to kill. Badass demon with a Con of 15? No no no... try a Con of 25. That ups their Fort saves as well.

I noticed that if a critter had an unusually high FORT save, one coul duse a rule of thumb to add that FORT save back to CON for the purposes of Massive Damage Threshold. For example, a Ghoul has a FORT save of +6 for some reason, even though they only have a CON 13. Adding them together would mean a Ghoul had a 19 Massive Damage Threshold instead of 13.

I love the rest of your suggestions too. The Corruption accumulation due to encountering "evilness" is a great Cthulhu-esque touch and very appropriate. 8)

Evilschemer said:
"Feint + Sneak Attack + Death Save = Instant Kill!" makes Thieves more combat effective than soldiers.
You are remembering to let the defender add his BAB to his Sense Motive roll right? With a high Int a full-BAB class could spend just a few of his bonus skill points on Sense Motive and be reasonably secure against Feints.

Sound like you had fun, hope your next campaign goes well too!

We had round and round debates about this feint and kill stuff before AE was printed. I relayed multiple warnings and said my peace on that long ago as the RulesMasters were thinking of reversing their original clarification/ruling (which had feint work like in DnD 3.x).

Its a neat change from DnD and I'm more open to it than before. However, here are some suggestions I'm playing with to help manage its potential abuse since I think pumping everyone up with Sense Motive just isn't my or my group's style of play. (And YES we understand BAB is added to the roll ;))

House rule:
1. Fighting Defensively grants the character a +5 bonus to his Sense Motive checks to avoid being feinted.

2. Taking the Total Defence option grants the character a +10 bonus to Sense Motive checks to avoid being feinted.

So far - its working well in our games and giving extra reasons to fight cautiously against such tactics. Basically, you've taken a defensive stance and are not as likely to open yourself up to such Bluffs in combat.

If that's not enough: you could take it up another notch and have FD grant a +10 and TD make feinting impossible. My group has not taken it that far, but we talked about it early on.

We've also bounced around the idea (before I came up with the Fighting Defensively and Total Defence bonuses) of a feat I called "Combat Sense" where this would grant an added bonus to resisting feinting in combat. The feat looks like this:

COMBAT SENSE (GENERAL)
You are especially skilled in reading your opponent’s body language in melee combat and avoiding his deceptive attacks.

Prerequisites: Sense Motive 1 rank, Wisdom 13+, base attack bonus +1
Benefit: You gain a +8 bonus on all Sense Motive checks to avoid being feinted in combat.

A fighter may select Combat Sense as one of his bonus feats.

Anyway - we're not currently using this feat in my games but we may test it out later. It would help define a fighter as especially skilled in reading combat feints rather than also make him great at seeing through people's lies in conversations (as SM does).

As for archers against armor - a modified version of my Ranged Finesse shot made it into the AE book in order to help with ambush/sneak shots (thanks for dropping my name in the Conan AE Mongoose :D). The minimum of 1 damage rule (meaning all hits, regardless of DR - do a minimum of 1 point of damage) can help with this. Massive groups of archers drop armored infantry all the time in the Conan novels and this option works well to simulate this.

As for the Corruption part, I've been doing the same as well since I'm a Cthulhu fan and run Conan as fantasy/horror. I use Corruption very often with Sorcerers to help keep the feel of mystery and darkness from the Conan tales.

Anyway, just some ideas.
Thanks for sharing your report.
Good luck with your games.

Back