Complete product list for Mongoose Paranoia?

Poi

Mongoose
With the line about to be reset, I want to make sure I've got everything, including any out of print products.

Is there a full list of the current range anyone can point me to?

You could try looking through the back pages of older issues of S&P, they usually have a Mongoose product listing for mail order purposes.

Collating data from various issues should help.

LBH

Maybe you will find what you're looking for here : http://www.legrog.org/jeu.jsp?id=1601
(under "XP")

However, I'm not sure that Spin Control and Collapsatron ever existed. I deduced them from their reprint and information gahtered on the web. I'm currently waiting for an answer from MP to be sure.

If you see errors or books lacking (in the "wanted" section), don't hesitate to tell me.
greuh.

greuh said:
Maybe you will find what you're looking for here : http://www.legrog.org/jeu.jsp?id=1601
(under "XP")

However, I'm not sure that Spin Control and Collapsatron ever existed. I deduced them from their reprint and information gahtered on the web. I'm currently waiting for an answer from MP to be sure.

If you see errors or books lacking (in the "wanted" section), don't hesitate to tell me.
greuh.

See the second of my two Amazon lists in the previous post for Spin Control and Collapsatron :D Spin Control appeared as part of Alpha Complex Nights, and Collapsatron was expanded into Flashbacks 2 (with the addition of The People's Glorious Revolutionary Adventure).

EDIT: Oooh greuh's listings for previous editions include French-language, French-originated Paranoia books I've never heard of before! I knew about On Ne Vit Que Six Fois, and assumed there'd been more than one but this is the first evidence I've seen of others... time to run those titles through babelfish :)

Many thanks for the info.
I've removed Spin Control and Collapsatron from the list and added their unhistory to Flashbacks 2 and Alpha Complex Nights :)

For other languages books :
- all the spanish books that are reviewed are translations from english
- On Ne Vit Que Six Fois ("you only live 6 times") is the only french-creation paranoia supplement (for 1st edition) AFAIK* others are translations.

greuh
* : I can make a complete verification, but not until tonight.

Hi greuh,

Looking at the cover art on the French / Spanish books, it does look like On Ne Vit Que Six Fois is the only "original". I was confused for a bit because they haven't directly translated all the names, going for French / Spanish puns and jokes instead (fair enough!) I like "Orange Press" for Vapors Don't Shoot Back :)

I should also add here that Collapsatron may be a literal Unproduct, but (along with a My First Treason / Sweep of Unhistory collection - i.e. the other two thirds of what became Alpha Complex Nights) a few test copies may have snuck out into the wild, so you may want to consider listing them in a subsection. I'm actually holding the Treason/Sweep book right now, so I can vouch for its existence!

Danforth said:
Hi greuh,

Looking at the cover art on the French / Spanish books, it does look like On Ne Vit Que Six Fois is the only "original". I was confused for a bit because they haven't directly translated all the names, going for French / Spanish puns and jokes instead (fair enough!) I like "Orange Press" for Vapors Don't Shoot Back :)
Exactly.
"Pressez les oranges" is a lame (but funny) pun on orange juice.

I should also add here that Collapsatron may be a literal Unproduct, but (along with a My First Treason / Sweep of Unhistory collection - i.e. the other two thirds of what became Alpha Complex Nights) a few test copies may have snuck out into the wild, so you may want to consider listing them in a subsection. I'm actually holding the Treason/Sweep book right now, so I can vouch for its existence!
For Sweep/First, I also got it. *If* it exists, Collapsatron is the only XP book I don't have.
I've removed Collapsatron and Spin Control from the database, and I'll wait for proof of the existence before putting any back. Remember citizen : rumours are treason. ;)

Thanks for everything,
greuh

Unlike the My First Treason/Sweep of Unhistory double mission, Collapsatron dates from the time when I was still packaging the PARANOIA line for Mongoose. The way I remember it, I used the title Collapsatron for a few weeks while I was editing the text, but Mongoose changed it to Flashbacks 2 well before I even started layout. It was trivially easy to change the title. At no point did I ever send a book titled Collapsatron to Mongoose, so I'm totally confident no book with that title was printed -- at least not while I was packaging the line.

Allen Varney said:
Unlike the My First Treason/Sweep of Unhistory double mission, Collapsatron dates from the time when I was still packaging the PARANOIA line for Mongoose. The way I remember it, I used the title Collapsatron for a few weeks while I was editing the text, but Mongoose changed it to Flashbacks 2 well before I even started layout. It was trivially easy to change the title. At no point did I ever send a book titled Collapsatron to Mongoose, so I'm totally confident no book with that title was printed -- at least not while I was packaging the line.

Wow, many thanks for the answer.
Now I can be sure that my database (for Paranoia XP) is complete*.

Many thanks.
greuh
* : now, I have all other (not fun) roleplaying games to complete ;)

Here's my "complete" checklist (English language publications). Hope it helps...

First Edition: (1984-1986)

12001: The Paranoia Box Set
???????: Paranoia, First Edition Book (UK-only Hardcover from Games Workshop)
80101: Gamemaster's Screen (includes adventures "Das Bot," "Robot Imana 665-C," and "The Trouble With Cockroaches")
80102: Vapors Don't Shoot Back
80103: The Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues
80104: Send in the Clones
80105: Acute Paranoia
80106: Player's Handbook from boxed set
80107: Clones in Space
80108: Orcbusters
80109: HIL Sector Blues
00402: Double Paranoia (UK/reprints 80102 & 80103 in one book by Games Workshop)

Second Edition: (1987-1994)

12000: Paranoia, Second Edition Book (Softcover)
???????: Paranoia, Second Edition Book (UK-only Hardcover from Games Workshop)
12001: Paranoia, Second Edition Box Set (Contains US Softcover & extras)
12002: Paranoia "Excessory" Pack
12004: The DOA Sector Travelogue
12005: Alpha Complexities
12006: Form Pack
12007: The Computer Always Shoots Twice (Reprints 80104 & 80108, updated for 2nd edition)
12010: The People's Glorious Revolutionary Adventure
12011: Recycled Pack
12012: The Bot Abusers' Manual
12013: More Songs About Food Vats
12015: The Iceman Returneth
12016: Don't Take Your Laser to Town
12017: Alice Through the Mirrorshades
12018: Twilightcycle: 2000
12019: Vulture Warriors of Dimension X
12020: Crash Course Manual
12021: Gamma-Lot
12022: The Paranoia Sourcebook
12023: Death, Lies, and Vidtape
12024: The R&D Catalog
12027: Paramilitary
12028: CTV/ParaNormal
12031: Mad Mechs

2nd edition Product numbers that were skipped (unpublished items) or used for other things (T-shirts, etc):

Published novels/comics:

12302: EXTREME PARANOIA: Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Shot (1991)
XXXXX: Paranoia (comic book; 6 issues) (1992) (Published by Malibu Comics)
12303: Title Deleted for Security Reasons (1993)
12304: Stormshooters and Troubleknights (1993)

"Fifth" Edition: (1995-1997)

12600: Paranoia, Fifth Edition Book (Softcover)
12032: Creatures of the Nightcycle
xxxxx BUG Sector (unreleased, but leaked to the web, fans requested it go back into hiding)

Paranoia XP: (2004-2009)

6630 - Paranoia XP
6631 - Paranoia Gamemaster's Screen & Mandatory Fun Enforcement Pack
6632 - The Traitor's Manual
6633 - Crash Priority
6634 - The Mutant Experience
6635 - Flashbacks (Reprints, and updates for XP, 80101-80104 and 12005, as well as the adventure, "Me and My Shadow, Mark IV" from 80105. Also includes new mini-missions)
6636 - STUFF
6637 - WMD
6638 - Extreme Paranoia
6639 - Service, Service!
6640 - Criminal Histories
6641 - The Underplex
6643 - Sector Zero
6646 - The Little RED Book
6650 - Flashbacks II (Reprints, and updates for XP, 80107, 80108 and 12010)
6654 - War on [Insert Noun]
6657D - Sweep of Unhistory / My First Treason (Double-sided "flip book," recalled and repackaged, along with the canceled Spin Control, into 6658)
6658 - Alpha Complex Nights
6659 - The Big Book of Bots
6661 - The Thin Green Line
6662 - Alpha Complex Nights 2
6663 - Mandatory Mission Pack
6664 - STUFF 2: The Gray Subnets
?????? - Citizen's Guide to Surviving Alpha Complex (Free RPG Day)

Notes:

I've only listed 6630 once, despite its multiple incarnations/reprints (XP, non-XP, SP1, etc).

Items in bold were published initially in Hardcover and later reprinted as softcover editions.

6664 is the product code for the softcover edition of Stuff 2. Oddly, perhaps in error, the hardcovers carried a code of 6109. Furthermore, although used throughout both editions, the phrase "The Gray Subnets" was removed from the softcover edition's front cover.

And for the completists:

6660 - Mandatory Bonus Fun Card Game
66301 - Troubleshooters Miniatures Set
66302 - Bots Miniatures Set
66303 - Internal Security Miniatures

Apparently it would have been treasonous to consider crafting High Programmer minis.

25th Anniversary Edition: (2009-2012)

6665 - Troubleshooters (Core rules)
6666 - Troubleshooters: Black Missions Limited Edition (1000 copies + CD)
6667 - Paranoia Games Master's Screen
6668 - Internal Security (Alternative core rulebook, from the perspective of IntSec)
None - Internal Security: Blue Line Limited Edition (100 copies)
6669 - Treason in Word and Deed
6670 - Termination Quota Exceeded
6671 - Forms Pack
6672 - High Programmers (Alternative core rulebook, from the perspective of the High Programmers)
None - High Programmers: White Washes Limited Edition (100 copies)
6673 - A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Termination Booth
6676 - None of This is My Fault
6677 - Mr Bubbles
6678 - Flashbacks Redux
6679 - Flashbacks Redux Redux
XXXX - Materials Treacherously Deleted
6680 - The Great Outdoors (unpublished)

Notes:

Items in bold are Hardcover. The standard editions will very likely be reprinted as Softcover editions in future if Mongoose follows standard operating procedure.

If the White Washes & Blue Line limited editions had product codes, they were internal (to Mongoose) only. None are present on the books themselves.

Any additional info or corrections to this list are appreciated. :)

Kurgan: that list looks pretty solid. Not sure what you mean by the "confusingly titled primary core rules" for Troubleshooters, as I haven't seen the term "primary core rules" used anywhere. Happy to be corrected though :)

I really wish now I'd chanced that £25 on "Collapsatron" on Amazon Marketplace a while back now. Could have been ULTRA R@RE...

Danforth said:
Not sure what you mean by the "confusingly titled primary core rules" for Troubleshooters, as I haven't seen the term "primary core rules" used anywhere. Happy to be corrected though :)

I say "confusingly titled" simply because it took me 20 minutes of digging around Mongoose webpages and the forums here to finally figure out that Troubleshooters wasn't some new rules supplement, but was actually the new core rulebook. The blurb doesn't explain that, just makes it sound like an expansion (and the "Paranoia RPG" wasn't visible for sale, compounding my confusion). And then I had to do more digging to figure out what the other two new books were (parallel "core" rulebooks that can be used as standalone rules or can compliment each other).

I haven't read any of the new material (and do eagerly await my chance to, with high hopes for success and quality), but from a marketing standpoint I suspect the new edition could very easily be a disaster if nobody can figure out what it is they need to actually buy to play the game. With nothing clearly labeled as "core rules," nor the multiple rulebooks having any familiar "player's/gamemaster's handbook" designations, it will be very confusing to potential customers.

Heh, a true bit of irony comes in the form of cash and timing. Being a Paranoia nut and collector, I just had to jump on the really rare limited editions quickly before they're all gone. I managed to get my order in for the two uber-rares, but now I'm broke, and it'll be at least a month before I can go buy the "main" Troubleshooters book (the regular version), which will most likely be the actual book I'll use for gaming. lol I feel like such a sucker sometimes. (Fortunately the "black book," with 1000 copies being printed, will still be available from resellers later on, so I'm not worried about it vanishing anytime soon. eBay's already flooded with 'em.)

I really wish now I'd chanced that £25 on "Collapsatron" on Amazon Marketplace a while back now. Could have been ULTRA R@RE...

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but on the off chance you're serious, Collapsatron was indeed published, just not under that title. It eventually became Flashbacks II.

Edit: But yeah, now that I think about it, you were obviously kidding. Sorry, sometimes I'm not too quick on the uptake. ;)

Kurgan said:
I say "confusingly titled" simply because it took me 20 minutes of digging around Mongoose webpages and the forums here to finally figure out that Troubleshooters wasn't some new rules supplement, but was actually the new core rulebook.

Ah, I getcha. You're not the only forumite to question the presentation of the changeover from 2004 to 2009 edition. I grokked it, because I read this forum, Planet Mongoose, the official Paranoia development blog, Gareth Hanrahan's personal blog, Paranoia-Live.net and occasionally emailed Matt. See, simple if you know how! ;)

Kurgan said:

Not sure if you're kidding or not, but on the off chance you're serious, Collapsatron was indeed published, just not under that title. It eventually became Flashbacks II.

Edit: But yeah, now that I think about it, you were obviously kidding. Sorry, sometimes I'm not too quick on the uptake. ;)

I am, in fact, not kidding... Around the time I picked up my copy of the My First Treason / Sweep of Unhistory book (rare: printed, recalled after one day, eventually saw print as 2/3rds of Alpha Complex Nights) someone on Amazon was selling Collapsatron! Given Allen's comments above, I call shenanigans on that - I emailed the seller at the time and asked him what, exactly, he had and he wrote back saying "it's a comic" - not something to inspire confidence. So I passed. But there's always that niggling feeling I passed on something rarer than hen's teeth!

Danforth said:
I am, in fact, not kidding... Around the time I picked up my copy of the My First Treason / Sweep of Unhistory book (rare: printed, recalled after one day, eventually saw print as 2/3rds of Alpha Complex Nights) someone on Amazon was selling Collapsatron! Given Allen's comments above, I call shenanigans on that - I emailed the seller at the time and asked him what, exactly, he had and he wrote back saying "it's a comic" - not something to inspire confidence. So I passed. But there's always that niggling feeling I passed on something rarer than hen's teeth!

Ah, I see. I had a similar experience with an eBay seller regarding Spin Control. This was a large comic and game seller who typically listed a quantity of 99 for everything, and I emailed him to verify he actually had the book. I don't recall if he ever actually responded, but the auction subsequently vanished from view. AV has said that Spin Control never saw print, but I can't help but wonder if a few did "slip through." It's not uncommon for websites to list forthcoming books, and even retain the listing (merely not in stock) of items that never see the light of day or get published, but it is odd to see an eBay seller list something they don't actually have.

Now this is interesting. I found a supposed quote from AV online regarding Collapsatron: "Two classic-era missions which were incorporated into Flashbacks 2 for full release. But again it seems a few copies of this version escaped into the wild..."

Kurgan said:
Now this is interesting. I found a supposed quote from AV online regarding Collapsatron: "Two classic-era missions which were incorporated into Flashbacks 2 for full release. But again it seems a few copies of this version escaped into the wild..."
If I said "Flashbacks 2," I misspoke and meant "Alpha Complex Nights," which incorporated "My First Treason" and "Sweep of Unhistory." Those two were previously released as a double mission in a limited run.

As for Collapsatron, I swear up and down, swear to god, swear on a copy of the Laws of Alpha Complex Year 214 Revision 447.24/2.287, I absolutely NEVER SENT ANYTHING CALLED "COLLAPSATRON" TO MONGOOSE! It doesn't exist, at least not as anything I ever packaged.

I suspect you found the Troubleshooters situation confusion because you aren't following the official PARANOIA development blog, where this situation was clarified at some length a few months back. Perhaps we need an FAQ....

Allen Varney said:
As for Collapsatron, I swear up and down, swear to god, swear on a copy of the Laws of Alpha Complex Year 214 Revision 447.24/2.287, I absolutely NEVER SENT ANYTHING CALLED "COLLAPSATRON" TO MONGOOSE! It doesn't exist, at least not as anything I ever packaged.

Soooooo, you're sayin' that someone else at Mongoose did the packaging! Now, if only we could figger out who, and where they sent that first batch...

;)

I suspect you found the Troubleshooters situation confusion because you aren't following the official PARANOIA development blog, where this situation was clarified at some length a few months back.

Aye, Cap'n. That be the right of it. At the tender age of 43 I am now a first-time homeowner (foreclosures and a fickle economy, --ya gotta love it), and haven't been able to read the forums over the last few months as I've instead been focusing on patching the never-ending holes on this sinking ship whilst trying to move into the beast at the same time. Once I'd caught my breath I popped on in to the Paranoia page to see if there'd been any new releases, and you know the rest from there.

Perhaps we need an FAQ....

If I may be so bold, what's needed is some basic info on the main pages that explains what's what for the sake of "cold" customers who've just walked in the door with no grasp of things. As I mentioned earlier, the titles of the new "core" books aren't explicit, so one has to read the descriptions to get more info, and even then the descriptions, as written, don't really clarify things. Nothing says, "this is the core rulebook, you need this first to play," nor do they fully convey the concept that each is a standalone "core" book that simply presents the game from a different vantage point based on preference or taste. A couple of lines of text in this vein under each of the three primaries would be immensely helpful in this regard, and I daresay would avoid much confusion from prospective purchasers. :)

Kurgan said:
Here's my "complete" checklist. Hope it helps...

It's missing at least:

- First edition hardcover UK edition (includes Gamemaster's Screen adventures)
- Double Paranoia (Vapours Don't Shoot Back + Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues)
- Fifth edition hardcover special edition
- Sweep of Unhistory / My First Treason

And, if you want to count them:

- At your service, citizen… newsletters
- Various Citadel miniatures
- Various Grenadier miniatures

(+ articles in magazines, original non-english material, etc.)

I've been trying to maintain a complete list of the English products for the role-playing game on the Wikipedia page. On that note, does anyone know the correct ISBN for the Games Workshop hardcover second edition rulebook? The one printed on the book is incorrect (checksum doesn't match), and no trivial correction (e.g. calculating correct check digit, simple reversals of digits, etc) seems to produce a correct match in ISBN databases.

- Double Paranoia (Vapours Don't Shoot Back + Yellow Clearance Black Box Blues)

Overlooked because it was just a reprint, but I'll go ahead and add it. :)

Fifth edition hardcover special edition

Are you certain this actually exists? I'm unable to find any record of it.

Sweep of Unhistory / My First Treason

Left off because it was a recall that was subsequently re-released under a different title with additional material. I can add it if you think it's important.

First edition hardcover UK edition (includes Gamemaster's Screen adventures)

On that note, does anyone know the correct ISBN for the Games Workshop hardcover second edition rulebook? The one printed on the book is incorrect (checksum doesn't match), and no trivial correction (e.g. calculating correct check digit, simple reversals of digits, etc) seems to produce a correct match in ISBN databases.

I think I know what happened regarding the Games Workshop edition(s). Give me a bit and I'll post a longer response explaining my findings...

Back